Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stinging Insects

scap99

Was at a private range today. The last bench has a willow tree growing right where my brass gets flung, and we have a strict brass policing policy in place. Anyway, I swept all the leaves and debris off the concrete pad so I could pick up my brass a bit easier. Next, I turned my attention to the branches that were starting to grow up under the awning. I easily cut one away, and then when I went to cut the other I saw something dark moving at the speed of light right at my face.

I suspect it was a wasp, but I never did see it. It hit my Rudy's right in the bridge between the lenses and stung my nose. It hit me right where the cartilage transitions to bone. I'm guessing the thin skin with bone right behind it kept the stinger from penetrating and breaking off under the skin.

It didn't immediately hurt, but didn't take long to start. Glad I had some ice on hand to stop the pain from getting really bad.

I am, also, very grateful that I had my Rudy's on, can't imagine having a stinger in the eyeball....that would suck.

Anyway, I HATE Stinging Insects!

No to mention, the 'skeeters are big as hummingbirds out there, too!!!

Man, I would have been in trouble. Had a yellow jacket sting me on the top of the head a couple of years back, my eyes were swollen shut in a matter of hours. Last time a wasp got me on the hand, my fingers swelled like sausages, and my hand was at least twice the size of my other hand. Be careful! here's a hint, when you get stung by a wasp, yellowjacket, or something of the like, take some Benadryl. Sure, it'll make you sleepy, but it will also help with the swelling and pain. Or any antihistamine....

Man, I would have been in trouble. Had a yellow jacket sting me on the top of the head a couple of years back, my eyes were swollen shut in a matter of hours.

Dude, you need to keep an epi-pen handy!

Stinging insects are one of my least favorite critters....

Man, I would have been in trouble. Had a yellow jacket sting me on the top of the head a couple of years back, my eyes were swollen shut in a matter of hours.

Dude, you need to keep an epi-pen handy!

Stinging insects are one of my least favorite critters....

They won't kill me (I've been stung by as many a 15 at a time!) but it's not pleasant, to saythe least. It never interferes with my breathing, but who's to say it won't?

I easily cut one away, and then when I went to cut the other I saw something dark moving at the speed of light right at my face.

I suspect it was a wasp, but I never did see it.

Anyway, I HATE Stinging Insects!

Probably a baldfaced hornet. Aggressive, territorial and nasty. They make most bees and wasps look tame. Not my favorite bug. :angry2:

I'm a bit doubtful on the Bald Faced Hornet (Still in the Yellow Jacket family, though)...I've never seen one in this area of town. I've lived here all my life, and been bit/stung/pinched/etc by damn near everything at least once.

Still got a dog bite trying to heal on my thigh.

I'm thinking it was a solo yellow jacket considering how aggressive it was. Glad it was only one, and that I only got lit up once.

It never swelled, and only had a bit of ooze for the next couple days.

If I get to pick a place to get stung next time, I would pick this same very spot on my nose. As bad as it sounds, it didn't really bother me that bad. 3 days later, I can't even see where it got me.

anywho, yall be safe and watch for the venomous critters out there when you're shooting.

mods, you can close this one, I'm done crying about my bee sting. B)

Mystery critter got me on the hand a week or so ago when I was clipping new growth from a branch. Never saw what it was despite not being able to flick it off; ended up being more of a smash and swipe type removal. Felt like fire when it stung.

Anyway, I had a topical "pen" of some sort tucked in the medicine cabinet that I used immediately. Don't remember the name but it contained ammonia I believe. Worked great! I was amazed. I started to pop the Benadryl but thought I'd give this a chance first because it makes me so drowsy. I plan to get a couple more so they're handy.

I hate them little critters. Wife and son have bad allergic reaction to any insect bite. My son got bit/stung with something on his left knuckle (index finger) and swelled up all the way to his elbow. Doc diagnosed him with cellulitis spent 2 nights in the hospital for IV antibiotics. Hate it even more now coz I have to use bug spray just to go out anywhere. Did I say that I HATE em critters.

Jim.

Edited by Jimdoe

I was once moving a new fridge into the house via a patio door that had not been opened in several months. When I opened the screen portion I was met by a cloud of very angry yellow jackets (they make a loud humming noise when attacking). I was stung numerous times in the face and neck.

Now very pissed off myself, I went to the garage for the good old can of Wasp & Hornet spray. I walked back onto the deck like Clint Eastwood in a Hollywood Western, I drew my can of spray just as they started to spew out of the nest. When I pulled the trigger ........ the spray just dribbled over my fingers. I was stung numerous times in the face and neck. :surprise:

I drove up town and purchased a new can of spray. After test firing the can of spray :closedeyes: , I walked back up onto the deck and hosed the nest of hornets down. :cheers:

My wife was inside the house laughing the entire time. Saying things like "you should have seen your face when they attacked", and "you should have seen your face after they stung you". God I hate that woman. :rolleyes:

Edited by Brian Payne