Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 21 Recoil Spring Weight

denn1911

Hi Group,

I am new to this forum and am very impressed. There is so much knowledge here, and I look forward to exchanging information. I've been competing in IDPA for two years and have always shot what I would carry. Although very hesitant at first, I recently started reloading and have shot them in my last four matches with great results. Taking it one step further, I've decided to start experimenting with recoil springs. Two weeks ago, I picked up a Glock 34 for a dedicated competition pistol. I installed a 14 lb. Wolff recoil spring and a Vanek trigger kit, and it shoots very nice. I haven't been able to compete with it yet, which be the real test.

I'm looking for any suggestions on recoil spring weight for a Glock 21SF when using reloads (230 grain RN). I have the stock 17 lb. recoil spring in it currently. Would a 15 lb. recoil spring be a nice starting point? I used the search function but didn't see find any info for the G21 specifically.

I realize that experimenting is the best way to determine what works for me and my pistol, but I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I received a few Wolff Reduced Recoil Springs for my Glock 21SF: 15 lb., 14 lb., 12 lb. The reduced recoil spring will be used with 230 grain FMJ reloads. Would you recommend a reduced power striker spring with a reduced recoil spring? I'm hoping to get these springs tested tomorrow and see how they perform.

Edited by denn1911

I run a 15lb. wolff spring with wolff uncaptured steel guide rod in mine. I use a 4lb. striker spring, but I also have a lightened steel striker. You may have some light primer hits with a factory striker and reduced weight spring.

Then again, you may not. Springs are cheap so try it and see what happens. Worse case scenario, switch back to the factory striker spring or get a lightened striker from Glock Worx, lightening strike or elsewhere.

If you go too light with the recoil spring, and a factory striker spring, you can have issues with the barrel locking up. A 15lb. recoil spring shouldn't give you much problem with the factory striker spring though.

Edited by dsmw5142

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the 15 lb. recoil spring and it felt about the same as the factory 17 lb. spring, maybe due to the fact that everything else is stock in this pistol. I didn't care for the 12 lb. spring.

• 3 weeks later...