Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good secure holster for 6.5" N frame

RevolverJockey

Looking for a recommendation for an upcoming project. Only looking for a USPSA legal holster - secure and safe is more important than fast if there has to be a compromise. I would like to be able to make a pretty aggressive dash without holding onto it. Thanks in advance,

Lee

Very funny. I am using a DOH with my 5" now and am thinking with the length unholstering might get a little iffy and I don't want to damage the front sight. I was thinking something with an open front that be partially drawn and rocked out of the holster. Safariland or the like make anything like that?

Lee

I like the SpeedSec holster. I can use it for any Smith that I have from my 4 inch Model 10 to my 8 3/8 inch Model 29. I use it for ICORE with my Model 627.

In 6 years with this holster I have never had a gun drop out. Can't say that for my old CS Speed holster and some others.

I like that you can adjust it to any degree you want and it stays there. You can also draw it in the locked mode by just using your index finger to release the lock on draw. I normally make sure I unlock it before I know I'm drawing the gun but if there is movement I will keep it locked until I get into the first shooting position and I'm not loosing any time.

Very funny. I am using a DOH with my 5" now and am thinking with the length unholstering might get a little iffy and I don't want to damage the front sight. I was thinking something with an open front that be partially drawn and rocked out of the holster. Safariland or the like make anything like that?

Lee

Glad you liked the holster Lee :devil: I will give a +1 to the speed sec but a CR Speed works well too and can be adjusted if you need to for barrel length between guns.

I use a Safariland 002 cup holster for a 6inch k frame but it will also acept the Nframe only grips around the cylinder I think there would be enough for a 6 1/2 inch I saw some advertised in one of the Dillon Blue Press

I use a Safariland 002 cup holster for a 6inch k frame but it will also acept the Nframe only grips around the cylinder I think there would be enough for a 6 1/2 inch I saw some advertised in one of the Dillon Blue Press

+1 for gunnut

The Safariland 002 Cup Holster is completely open on the top. The strap over the end of the holster is attached with one screw and it can be reversed by taking out the screw and re-attaching it to be placed underneath. I have used one for the metallic sight event at the Cup for many years for a revolver. When the Cup matches still required a jump test, you had to stand flat footed jump over a bar ( one foot or eighteen inches high) with out holding the gun. I never had an 002 even allow the gun move during those test. Brownells also stocks this holster.

Safariland 002 Cup Challange holster would work. It is for a 6", but the bottom is open and the sight protector is removable. It is very snug out of the box, but I used mine with an N-frame a couple weeks ago, worked just like with my 6" L-frame. Tenson screws are on the back, holds cylnder and covers trgger gaurd well, many use it in USPSA. It is in the $70 territory.

It is not the greatest holster. I don't like the suede linning, it holds the gun a little higher than most would like and it tends to cant inward. However, it was the only thing in it's price range I could find suitable for 6" or longer barreled revolvers in USPSA. It does the job.

The other option I've seen, but not tried is the CRspeed for revolvers. However, it is about $180.

Others use Bladetech or other holster similar to Kydex pisto holsters, but I haven't seen that used by anyone for anything beyond a 5" barrel. You would just have to draw higher to clear the barrel. The Safariland you only need to clear the cylinder.

I haven't seen anyone using leather flap holsters in USPSA, but I've never seen anyone shooting any old Handejectors, Colt SAA or Webley's. The Webley would be cool with the flap holster, definite stle points.

Westczek

Looking for a recommendation for an upcoming project. Only looking for a USPSA legal holster - secure and safe is more important than fast if there has to be a compromise. I would like to be able to make a pretty aggressive dash without holding onto it. Thanks in advance,

Lee

002 on sale on USPSA board right now. I recommend these as practice holsters, if nothing else, because they eat all guns. I don't think they give up that much in a match (and I have sucked in for about every holster made)

Lee

002 on sale on USPSA board right now. I recommend these as practice holsters, if nothing else, because they eat all guns. I don't think they give up that much in a match (and I have sucked in for about every holster made)

002 posted here and immediately sold