Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forster Co-Ax

Question for those who own a Forster Co-Ax.

I recently received a Co-Ax and upon opening the box, found that the hole in the yoke where the handle is installed is off center and that the casting is pretty poor quality as the wall thickness is not consistent (the one side is half the thickness of the other). For the price of the press I am considerably dismayed at this quality issue.

Is yours the same way or did I get a lemon?

Thanks.......

IMG_2331.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am planning on purchasing a Forster Co-Ax® Reloading Press in a month or so.

I have a good Dillon 550B press, but need a single stage press for

Producing high quality precise loady for my Tactical Rifle.

Is this a good press and how is the quality of the instrument?

Does it produce high quality AMMO?

Are you satisfied with it?

I need opinions, advise and user experience?

Thank you,

Stephen

I use a Redding Boss as my single stage press. I looked that Forester stuff but did not want to spend that much coin.

It has worked just fine for my needs. I think the dies are much more important unless you are using it for benchrest stuff and then maybe the Forester stuff is worth it.

I am planning on purchasing a Forster Co-Ax® Reloading Press in a month or so.

I have a good Dillon 550B press, but need a single stage press for

Producing high quality precise loady for my Tactical Rifle.

Is this a good press and how is the quality of the instrument?

Does it produce high quality AMMO?

Are you satisfied with it?

I need opinions, advise and user experience?

Thank you,

Stephen

David Tubb loads his ammo on a 550......just sayin

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Your Co-Ax is not so coaxial, is it? Sorry you got a lemon. Here's hoping you can get a replacement without having to eat return shipping. Sending a heavy chunk of iron is not going to be cheap, whether through UPS or USPS Parcel Post (I've done both).

I need to stop reading threads like this, because I'd never heard of the Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax before and now I think I'm in love. I would not have wanted it as a starter press - but now that I have an RCBS Rockchucker and Hornady Lock-n-Load AP, I think a Forster Co-Ax could be a welcome augmentation of my setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked my press and it looks similar to the one in the OP. I contacted Forster and they tell me the hole doesn't need to be centered with the outside diameter of the casting and it is centered with the yoke/handle casting. While I think it could've been done to look better, it doesn't affect the function of the press and I'm OK with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has the hole centered. I would say you got a lemon. Even if it is perfectly functional, you do expect more for the price, and Forster's reputation. Unless they are building a new reputation...

• 3 months later...

roadapple +1

My new Forster co-ax press will arrive on Tuesday, Aug. 30. One has the right to expect excellence of construction and operation when he/she pays top dollar for a reloading press. Like many others, I certainly do. If my new co-ax has this kind of obvious defect, whether cosmetic or functional, it will be returned for a full refund. My faith in the reputation of any company will be destroyed if they accept this kind of shoddy craftsmanship as their standard of "excellence".

Forster really is a reputable company making a line of excellent products. I just have to believe this non-centered milling is one of their few "lemons ".

My older coax had the offcentered hole for the handle...

I replaced it with a Dillon 550BL due to my brother keeping the coax for his rifle loading, (.308, .338, 6.5, .223).

I have the 550 setup for .308, .338, .45-70 using the powder drop funnel and a hand primer system.

Follow-up to my post on Aug. 26. My Foster co-ax arrived as scheduled. The fit, finish and feel of the press in operation is even better than I expected. Initial setup was a breeze. Having the handle centered over the reloading process seems more precise and intuitive than having the handle to the side. Operation is VERY smooth.

I also ordered a dozen of the Forster die rings for use on my Lee, Redding, and Forster dies. One rainy day this weekend I will set up my Lee, Redding, and Forster dies and do some reloading using the optional short handle. I read somewhere that the co-ax comes with a nylon cover. This may have been a special promotion with an internet retailer but mine did not have a cover included. I'll order one today.

One of the reason I reload is because I enjoy the precision of the process. My new Forster co-ax is going to add precision and much enjoyment to an already enjoyable hobby.

Vigilante, I needed eight of the Forster rings for eight dies. I keep the rings set on the dies so the quick die change can be completed without having to adjust the dies for each caliber at each reloading session. With the rings set on the dies it is just a matter of sliding the dies in and out of the co-ax press for each of the reloading steps. Sliding the dies into and out of the co-ax is probably similar in convenience to the Hornady Lnl system or the Lee bushing system. I have used the Lee bushing system and it is very good. I have never used the Hornady Lnl system.

Also, there is a probability that I might need additional Forster die rings in the future. If so, I now have enough for another caliber. As I recall, purchasing a 12 pack of rings cost about the same as eight individual rings. I have already purchased new 6/32 x 1/2" stainless cap screws with a hex drive drive head to replace the Phillips head cap screws which come with the Forster rings. Also as I recall, most reloaders who made comments about the Forster rings suggested switching to the screws I described in the previous sentence.

An extra comment: I also tried using the Lyman and Hornady rings on these dies to see how those rings would work with the Forster co-ax press. They fit kind of okay, I guess, but they are much too loose for my liking. The Forster rings fit best-nice and snug with just enough "float" to allow precise alignment between cartridge and die.