Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Po9ssible slide spring change for CZ

JWBon

Hi All,

I am getting ready to start reloading 9 mm lead bullets from Precision Bullets and was concerned that I may/should change the slide spring to less spring force. Dose anyone have experience with this situation?

I've shot CZ's for years. 9mm & 40. If you're shooting a 9mm to Minor Power Factor (125pf is minimum) you want to load to 128 to 132pf - personally I would keep it at 132 just to make sure. With light loads such as these, I wouldn't use a recoil spring higher than 14lb. Stiffer loads (self defense)you may want to go to a 16lb. Doesn't matter so much what the grain of bullet used, FMJ or lead either, the main concern is the load. A 115 grain 9mm fps of 1100 will give you 128 pf; that will work in USPSA's Production Division. It will take down the steel poppers (as long as they are calibrated correctly). I preferred a 147 grain at 128 to 130 pf (approx.900fps) this load seemed softer, more accurate & took down the steel easier. Test some 115's & 147's to see what you prefer before buying in quantity. If you need suggestions on powders/loads, let me know, I've tried allot of them. Good luck...

I think you are ok with the current spring. I would be more concerned about getting the OAL correct. The precision bullet is a different profile than a jacketed bullet so be sure to check that carefully. I don't have my load book handy.

I don't want to discourage you with my failure but I had trouble with moly and leading in the barrel on my CZ's with these bullets. So just keep an eye on it. The CZ is not a stainless barrel even if they say it is, do not use puroxide and vinegar it will pitt the barrel, just wrap a piece of chore boy around a regular brush and it will cut it outa there. I also use JB bore paste as the last touch in cleaning, puts a mirror finish inside the bore.

To avoid build up make sure you do not cut the coating when seating the bullet, takes more bell than a jacketed bullet.

I shoot Precison in my SS and STI Limited guns with absolutely no meaningful build up. These are good bullets more consistent than cast bullets with better accuracy.

I shoot 125's in 9 for minor with a 130-131pf never tried a 147 there may be something there.