Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 barrels

sschultz

I need some advise. I am building a 308 and I have decided on a Fulton Kreiger 18.5 barrel. They come in a light weight and medium. Will I be handicaped with the lighter barrel in normal 3 gun shooting. I am trying to keep the wieght down but I will compromise if I need to.

Another question I have I plan on using SJC Titan comp and after wathing their video on youtube I have been trying to find a front sight that mounts on the barrel right behind the comp. Not a gas block front sight.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated

Schultz

Medium weight would be my preferance of the two you listed for three gun. It will be stiffer, and it will help in recoil control of the .308 round. It will not handicap you timewise (on the clock) because of the slightly extra weight.

Trapr and I had J.P. make a couple of AR-10 barrels with a .750 profile all the way from the chamber to the front. They are great barrels, they don't move around when heated, they are crazy accurate. .750 is VERY LIGHT,but with a good comp like the SJC it is VERY controlable. I wouldn't change a thing, but you will want to look into getting the carrier lightened.

BTW I have a 308 SJC comp that is brand new that I am not going to use, if you are interested give me a P.M.

The kreiger barrels have a .750 gas block. Not sure what the rest of the barrel profile is.kurtm thanks but I am not ready for the comp yet(finishing my lower build right now).

I believe the Lightweight is a .750 gas block and is chrome molly w/chrome bore and chamber. The medium is .936 gb and is stainless. both are button rifled. only 8 oz differance between the two.

Kurt, those jp bbls must be nice..wish I knew somebody overthere.

I guess its kinda a nobrainer with 8oz differance. Since these barrels have rifle lenght gas systems do I need to have my carrier lightened like Kurtm suggested.

Need? With a very light barrel it would be a help as you will have less reciprocating mass to push the gun around under recoil. If you already have a full weight carrier, and go with the heavier bbl, try it.

Dan I plan on buying a American Spirit Arms upper that comes with a bolt and carrier do I need to have the carrier lightened. Also since its a sidecocker the bolt is machined for that.

Well I just found out that the American Spirit is not DPMS compatable and for 650 bucks it come with a carrier and no bolt. I can get a Fulton upper with bolt and carrier for about 550.00. With the side cocking option.

Thanks guys

Schultz

Lightening the carrier, even just a bit will make a noticeable difference in the way the gun shoves you around during its cycling sequence.

My LaRue came with a very heavy carrier, and the gun is heavier also, but I could still feel the carrier reciprocating in the gun during its cycle of operation, and it kept it from being what I would call optimal for 3 gun use, I had the carrier lightened and it made a world of difference in the feel of it during double taps and fast target transitions, the JP lightened carrier for 308 is probably the pinnacle of light 308 carriers, but you should be able to benefit from even a slightly heavier one than the JP. Something midway between the stock DPMS/LaRue carrier and the JP should be plenty. a good comp will make a big difference as well, the Nordic, Triangle, or JP all work very well, the SJC I have no experience with but my buddy KurtM does.

Mark, the barrels Kurt spoke of really are scary accurate, but John does not offer it in 20" anymore, he does still offer it in 18" last time I spoke with him. Its his medium weight.

Trapr

Trapr

Bryan is correct, just like a carbine gas system is more violent than a mid length and a midlength is moreso than a rifle length. I am assuming this is due to the gas being under more pressure as it is closer to its source and under more pressure.

trapr

Mark, the barrels Kurt spoke of really are scary accurate, but John does not offer it in 20" anymore, he does still offer it in 18" last time I spoke with him. Its his medium weight.

That's odd. When JP built my 308 AR a few years ago, the person I talked with flat-out refused to build me a gun with an 18" bbl - said they "were not reliable".

Sorry I am asking so many question but this is my first build. If you lighten the carrier will that not increase the speed of the carrier. Which is what the rifle lenght system helps to slow down. Also with the lighter carrier do you use the same buffer and spring.

Schultz

what is felt is the weight of the carrier stopping and starting its movement, and the mass moving around. with the adjustable gas block you can augment the gas pressure so movement is even more soft. you should see a benefit from a lighter carrier, a adjustable gas block and a rifle length gas system, if you combine 2 or more of them you will get more benefit. i used the same spring and buffer in the LaRue but it is not lightened a lot, with my JP the buffer was replaced, and it uses an adjustable gas block.

Trapr