Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting Out

sgoddard

I've done quite a bit of bullseye shooting but now I'm getting into the action type shooting IPSC, IDPA- my question is where is the best place to put your money into a custom gun or reloader and if so what type. I have two nice Springfield .45s and most of the gear needed (good holsters, mags, etc) I do shoot quite a bit so I'm leaning towards the reloader (definately a Dillon from BE)

Whatever you end up shooting a good reloader is a priority. Most will say a 650 is the way to go - I like my 550s fine myself. Go to a few matches of each - USPSA & IDPA and see what you like best. Although you can shoot a single stack in USPSA - and some do - If you shoot USPSA you will likely end up with some version of a wide body gun. A .40 for Limited or Limited 10 or a 38Super or Super variant for Open Division. If you shoot IDPA you can do very well with what you have

Shoot a while first before you spend you big $$ on the wrong thing.

My .02 :)

Starting out with a Springfield 1911 will be no handicap whatsoever. If you don't already have some 10 round magazines, get a few Wilson's or Chip McCormick's.

If you load your own lead bullets in once fired .45 cases, your ammo costs will be 1/3 of buying inexpensive factory stuff. You won't save any money...you'll just shoot 3 times as many rounds.

Much better, I think, to start with the good equipment you have now, and get a good reloader--then get "ideal" equipment (a race gun of some type, etc.) after you have a year or two of IPSC/IDPA shooting experience, and can better decide what you want and need.

Good luck, and welcome to the sport!

DogmaDog

Coming from bullseye and considering the guns you already have, I would say get a Dillon 1050 set up in 45 with 2 powder measures. One for what ever your Bullseye load is/was (assuming you are still shooting that) and a second for the 165pf load which would have you ready for either IDPA or USPSA. I have a 650 and a 1050, and by far the 1050 is worth the extra money.

You are well over half way there. Start with what you have, go to a few matches, be safe, go slow, watch, ask guestions. Get the best dillon you can afford. Shooters in your area are the best place to get ideas on what you need. The real key is equip. that works and practice. Larry

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend a dillon 550 to start reloading with. I have had my 550 b since they first came out

( 1988?) and used it for everything up to 7 rem mag. The 650 may be faster, but unless you are into fancy stuff the 550 works great.

Allen

• 2 months later...

Get into reloading it is fun and rewarding in itself. Then practice a lot with the gun (s) you have. When you have mastered that invest in a custom gun with all the bells and whistles. But make sure you just have plain old fun in doing so.

Jim

Get the most automation in reloading equipment that you can afford so you can spend more time shooting instead of reloading. Reloading is a lot of fun at first, later you'll find you'll want to spend more time shooting.

Your guns are good enough! For IDPA you will need two mag pouches and 3 of the eight round mags that you probably have already. You will also need a "non-race" holster. Uncle Mike's Kydex and BladeTech are really popular. Fobus if you have to. The sturdiest belt you have will probably be good enough to hold all your gear and pants up.

Then you are almost set for IPSC/USPSA L10. All you will need then is two more mag puches and 5 wilson 10 round magazines. You have more options for you "rig" in L10 than you do for IDPA, but that comes later.

Then let the fun begin!

It's a killer journey, welcome!