Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Credit Card Fraud

spanky

i went online to check my CC statement and noticed there were several fraudulent charges. called in and there were quite a few more (up to $1800) that didn't go through because of my low credit limit, thankfully.

its not a big deal because only $7 worth of transactions actually went through but i hate to have to go through the hassle of getting and remembering a new card number. :unsure:

I had that happen to my spending money account, lucky for me I only put $100 a week into this account. It is a major hassle and it makes you feel violated some how. If I ever caught the SOB that did it...I would posting here from jail. I hope that you get it all straightened out Spank.

If you can think back.. think where you used the cards.. and avoid them in the future. While systems can be cracked, and info stolen, those are the exceptions. It's employees you're handing your card to, or online, that cause most of the problems.

I totally agree. If my card must leave my sight, I give them the American Express. In my experience, Amex is awesome to deal with, if someone's card is used fraudulently.

Thankfully, my wife and I have not been victimized yet.

I feel your pain. That's happened to me a few times over the years. And it was always with the card I use for business only. Which is a NIGHTMARE. One thing I did that helped... I have one credit card that only use for recurring monthly bills (Merchant Service Acct., ISP, etc) then another card I only use for POS purchases. My biz card hasn't been hacked since. (Crossing fingers.)

be

I got a bad name with some of the "cool" crowd in high school when they would try and pass off stolen cards at the gas station I worked at. Several times I had to threaten them with a phone call to the cops or their parents when they had gotten a fill and one of the younger guys was helping them.

I work for my boss, and for myself ultimately. I can't stand those who think that they are going to milk the rest of us rather than earn it. :angry2:

I have been there, and it sucks. Happened to me about 4 years ago, luckily my card company caught the charges and called to verify them with me. When I said hell no I didn't buy 1500 worth of stuff at the couch store I didn't have to deal with any after that.

Sorry to hear that Spanky, and yes, it's a huge pain in the butt. Might check to see if your case was reported to local LE. Laws vary state to state with regard to the required reporting thresholds but it may be that your bank has taken care of this. If not, do it. The more they have in evidence, the better.

My wallet was stolen recently and when the second transaction at a gas station at 4am was attempted, the bank locked the account down due to the 'suspicious' transaction. Knock "the bank of the northern hemisphere" all you want, I think they're awesome!

Good luck in getting that cleaned up.

Thanks ;)

I'm wary to start filing any reports because, other than vendors that I use regularly, only two have been used recently, one is a shooting sports vendor and the other is a tire vendor in Cali.

I'm just going to count my blessings that Chase did a good job of taking care of things and I didn't have to pay for any of it. The only real hassle I had was having to wait for a new card which probably saved me some money in the long run anyway. :roflol:

Edited by spanky

This is why I always refuse my bank's offer of a debit card on my checking account. I have no confidence whatsoever that the bank would reimburse me for all the third-party charges (bounced checks fees, late fees from credit card companies that got bad check) that I would incur if a fradulent charge set off a cascade of NSF checks, not do I have any confidence I would not have to spend a boatload of time working to get my record cleared at places like ChexSystems.