Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sectional vs Special Match

bbbean

As far as I know, there are no such "official" match designations.

We (USPSA) have 3 levels of matches (plus some other stuff):

- Level I - These are usually your local club's monthly match (but could be a larger match...the Florida Open might be an example of a large match ran as a Level I).

- Level II - These are often you Section matches, but they could be other large matches run under the requirements (see back of rule book) for Level II status.

- Level III - These are often your Area matches and the Nationals. In addition, there are usually about a half-dozen "other" matches run as Level III matches. (I believe the MO Fall Classic has run as a L-III in the past.)

Level II and Level III matches used to be known as "sanctioned" matches. That is no longer the proper term, though they do require extra approvals from USPSA and NROI.

A match that isn't run as an USPSA match, but wishes to use the USPSA resources (name, rule book, etc.) can ask for permission from the home office to be run as an USPSA "recognized" match.

Within the Levels I, II & III matches they can also be run as "classifier matches". Most local Level I matches are run as classifier matches (meaning they run one of the classifier stages in the match). Level II & III matches may or may not run classifiers.

And, then the is the "special classifier" matches. These are run at the local match, and can contain from 4 to 6 classifier stages in the one match. (these require prior approval from the Section Coordinator).

=================

Since you are asking about "special matches" and the MO Classic...I am guessing that is coming from the Major Match Listings on the USPSA website...and their new match listing format? If so...I don't know what that is all about. Just a goofy new way of listing the matches?

Since you are asking about "special matches" and the MO Classic...I am guessing that is coming from the Major Match Listings on the USPSA website...and their new match listing format? If so...I don't know what that is all about. Just a goofy new way of listing the matches?

That is exactly where the question comes from. I thought the Mo Fall Classic was the Mo State Championship. I don't know what other match would claim that distinction if it isn't.

Wouldn't a classifier match be considered a "Special" match?

Here is how I have understood them...

- Classifier match: a regular club match that contains one classifier. (a club match doesn't always have to run a classifier, it could be a non-classifier match)

- Special Classifier match: a regular club match that runs up to 6 classifier stages.

• 2 months later...

Howdy!,

I don't know why we ended up under the Special match category, but we were indeed the MO Sectional Championship. I dropped a check for $508 for the 127 competitors that shot the Level II match.

The full name was MO Fall Classic Missouri Sectional Championship...but that wouldn't fit on our shirts ;-)

Bob Delp (Stage 10 Gun Ports CRO)

COPS

Meaning its considered a major match but is not the state championship.

At least, I think. :o

While there may not be official designations beyond Level 1, 2 or 3 in the rulebook -- I think the question is about how the USPSA website categorizes major matches on the (old version) of the major match calendar.

In that case, Spanky is correct. Matches like Summer Blast, Double Tap, or Charity matches (Make A Wish, Toys for Tots, etc) fell under this heading. I have not had the time to check the format on the revised USPSA website.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Meaning its considered a major match but is not the state championship.

At least, I think. :o

While there may not be official designations beyond Level 1, 2 or 3 in the rulebook -- I think the question is about how the USPSA website categorizes major matches on the (old version) of the major match calendar.

In that case, Spanky is correct. Matches like Summer Blast, Double Tap, or Charity matches (Make A Wish, Toys for Tots, etc) fell under this heading. I have not had the time to check the format on the revised USPSA website.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-match-listing.php Edited by spanky