Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clam shell desings?

Not a diagram but here are some photos of the last one I built, they should give you an idea. The cylinders I salvaged from wrecked cars, I think one was for a trunk the other for a hood. You have one latch that is a rope pull to activate the first stage of the target. As it completes it’s throw that triggers the release for the second stage.

clamshell.jpg

clamshell1.jpg

clamshell2.jpg

clamshell3.jpg

• 1 month later...

go to gunsteel.com and you can see 3 great pictures on how a clamshell should look. A clamshell is very difficult to build as there is only one (1) cylinder made that is the exact length, ends, and diamiater that you need. All the holes has to be exact to the 1/16" if everything is going to work correctly. A Clamshell is in time with itself as I just last friday sent USPSA 3 for the Nationals at Vegas and if they shoot 1000 shooters thru, it need to work perfect everytime and mine will and they can be reset for the next shooter in 3 or 4 seconds. Good Luck

Max TY-21921

• 2 years later...

I built one from plans on the freeidaho site. It uses 2 door closers for each target, got at hardware store for $10 bucks each. One thing a did was add foam pipe insulation to the cylinders after a target stand fell and damaged two of the cylinders. Took steel I had laying around and an afternoon of cutting and welding.