Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often should I strip my 1911

foilhat

I'm in the same ballpark...I'll do a general cleaning every 1K and detail strip every 5K or so....or before a big match, but I always shoot at least a couple of mags through it before a big match just to make sure everything went back together properly.

I use Slide Glide Lite on all of my competition guns...2011 Open, 2011 Limited, 1911, M&P...works great on all of them. For normal oil, FP-10 works pretty well as does G96 which is what we've switched to at work (very tolerant of temperature variations). R,

I'm in the same ballpark...I'll do a general cleaning every 1K and detail strip every 5K or so....or before a big match, but I always shoot at least a couple of mags through it before a big match just to make sure everything went back together properly.

+1 I also do a detailed stripping before a big match and make sure to shoot it before heading to the big match. When I do my field stripping and detailed cleaning I go over the parts pretty well but with some parts I hit them with a jewelers loop to be extra safe. I loop the firing pin stop at the 7 o'clock notch for the ejector, firing pin spring *just had to replace mine as it has a fracture down the length of the wire on the first coil*, disconnector, ejection port area of the slide and the ports on the comp. Sometimes those little hair line fractures are hard to find with the naked eye.

Joe W.

I used to detail strip mine after every time I shot it. Now I shoot more than that and I just clean it when my hands get dirty from handling it. I'm not shooting lead, and I use a clean burning powder, so that is not terribly often. I field strip my glock after every time. Just because it is so easy, not because it needs it.

I asked that question of an open STI shooter last week and he just looked at me with this quizzical look on his face and said, "The bottom gets dirty?"

I guess it is a matter of personal preference. My opinion is that a clean gun is a happy gun, but if you are limited on time, or knowledge as to how to disassemble/reassemble a weapon, then you could probably get away with waiting a long time between detain strippings and still be OK.

I am shooting the pro am this weekend and I am not going to clean my gun prior to that. I've only shot maybe 100-150 rounds since the last detail strip though.

Hello: I do a light cleaning after every outing. I completly tear in down after 1500 rounds. I use Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec oil. If I use a grease it is Redline assemble lube for engines :cheers: It also depends on the conditions you are shooting in. I remember in San Antonio they had some very fine red dirt that went everywhere. Dirt and oil make a great lapping compound. So clean it as often as you feel you need to is the best advice I can give. Thanks, Eric

I always show up at a match with a clean gun, then its the match schedule that determine how often I clean. I use Slide Glide lite on all my guns (open, limited and .22) and its the best I've used, the gun stays lubed forever.

I use Slide Glide Lite on all of my competition guns...2011 Open, 2011 Limited, 1911, M&P...works great on all of them. For normal oil, FP-10 works pretty well as does G96 which is what we've switched to at work (very tolerant of temperature variations). R,

My plan is similar to this, but it depends a lot on where I'm shooting. A couple of the ranges around here are very sandy. That will speed up the time between cleanings. It's usually dictated by my match schedule. I try and clean my gun 1 week before a big match, so I have a match on it before I leave for the big match. (I've never had a malfunction after cleaning, so maybe this is overkill.)

For my 1911's I'll field strip and clean every 500 rounds, letting the barrel soak overnight in the process. Once I've got 10,000 rounds through the gun, I'll detail stip and clean it. During detailed cleaning, I'm always impressed just how clean the gun really is which is why I go so many rounds between detailed cleaning. I think this can be attributed to the fact I field strip and clean every 500 rounds, shoot a clean burning powder (N320) and use jacketed bullets exclusivley.

As for lube, like everyone else, it's dependant on the conditions I've been shooting the gun in recently. If I'm going to take a week long class, be shooting outdoors and subjecting the pistol to a pretty harsh environment, I'll use light slide glide on the rails and slide, wiping off the visable excess, then add a light coat of Mpro 7 CLP in addition to the slide glide. Recoil and firing pin springs get dose of Breakfree CLP at each cleaning. Barrel exteriors and bushings get a liberal coat of Ed Brown gun oil.

I'm a firm believer in keeping my guns wet (within reason).

:cheers: THG

For my 1911's I'll field strip and clean every 500 rounds, letting the barrel soak overnight in the process. Once I've got 10,000 rounds through the gun, I'll detail stip and clean it. During detailed cleaning, I'm always impressed just how clean the gun really is which is why I go so many rounds between detailed cleaning. I think this can be attributed to the fact I field strip and clean every 500 rounds, shoot a clean burning powder (N320) and use jacketed bullets exclusivley.

As for lube, like everyone else, it's dependant on the conditions I've been shooting the gun in recently. If I'm going to take a week long class, be shooting outdoors and subjecting the pistol to a pretty harsh environment, I'll use light slide glide on the rails and slide, wiping off the visable excess, then add a light coat of Mpro 7 CLP in addition to the slide glide. Recoil and firing pin springs get dose of Breakfree CLP at each cleaning. Barrel exteriors and bushings get a liberal coat of Ed Brown gun oil.

I agree w/ "...wet..." & I use Lt Slide Glide & FP-10 for everything.

FP-10 - explained to me x Dave Dawson - neutralizes the powder / primer sludge...no matter how "clean" they burn.

-jb

It also depends on the conditions you are shooting in. I remember in San Antonio they had some very fine red dirt that went everywhere.

I forgot about this since I mostly shoot indoors but when I was in Vegas I field stripped the gun each evening to get that talcum fine sand out of everything.

I often joke that I need my smith to install a dipstick on my STI, if it ain't wet it ain't running. lol

Joe W.

• 2 weeks later...

I do light cleaning after every practice round with a Q-tip and rubbing alk. Then re-oil with 30W mobile synthetic. Real big matches I will scrub with nylon brush and shooters choice. I never mess with the rifling.

Or you can take the Scott Springer GM challenge and never clean it, just re-apply slide glide and get these huge balls of crusty black "things" and still have proper function. I sat down at Nationals in Missoula and cleaned it for him. Took a VERY long time.

Field strip every 200rds. (Clay's shoots a little filthy--ditto on my hands). A little light RemOil on the critical areas. Sometimes oil BETWEEN cleanings.

A guy I knew used to, in my opinion, over-oil his 1911 and I liked shooting it but needed to douse my hands with solvent afterwards it was so messy. Not sure why he did that. This is all indoor range action, by the way. No grit in the air or other soiling hazards.

its the match schedule that determine how often I clean

Dalmas - a gun should be ready to perform at all times! The match schedule should not guide your cleaning schedule. After each match or after each practice session you should visually inspect the points of contact between slide/frame, barrel, and magazines. If you see grit, grime, dirt, dust..... wipe it down and lubricate it. Cleaning the firing pin hole is also a good habit to get into. Magazines need to be routinely taken apart, inspected, and cleaned. Each spring has a life expectancy...this varies by each manufacturer. Your range bag should have the items necessary to pull the slide off and clean and re-oil the contact points, a squib rod and bore snake, and a mag rag. A well lubricated 1911 or 2011 is a happy gun.

Sig Lady - solvent? really! that seems a little harsh for gun oil. or is it for the other soiling hazards not mentioned :ph34r:

Edited by Sterling White

Thanks for the replies. I think I will strip it every couple thousand and field strip after every practice. I have done a complete job twice since posting the question. Once was the first time, after shooting 6-8 K. I just did it yesterday after about 2K of practice. Not as dirty this time :) .