Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will Titegroup work with a comp?

BLUTO

Did the search function but couldn't find the answer.

I would prefer to use Titegroup with my 40 loads as I do with my 45's but was told (repeatedly) that it doesn't produce "enough gas" to make the comp on my open gun work.

Is this correct or is he wrong?

I guess if TG wont work the comp I could find another powder but then the whole vicious circle begins again. I really want one powder for my limited and open loads across the board. If that's possible :unsure:

The simple answer is you can shoot TiteGroup but you won't get the benefit of the "Comp". In 40 open you go to a lighter bullet and a slower powder to allow the comp to do its job, slowing down the slide and creating down force to combat flip. Many 40's have very poor comps and 40 does not have the gas flow of 38 Super, as you may have noticed most Open guns are not 40.

It's been a while since I shot 40 open and there is a 40 open bunch on this forum. I used 135gr bullets with about 7.0-7.3gr of IMR7625.

I have heard of IMR7625 being used with a non comped 40. This powder is just fast enough for a mediocre Limited Load and just slow enough for an Open gun.

Just shoot the 40 open minor with titeGroup with the dot you should be able to make A's and with minor 40 mouse fart loads you should be able to shoot very fast. Or?

Titegroup most certainly works in comped guns. Mainly if they are 38Super.

I have 5 38Super with Comps and they all run Titegroup and if you run the same loads through similar guns with the same barrel length withou tthe comp the snap real hard.

I had an old Para 40Cal Open gun that I picked up for parts and with a Major PF Metallic sight load it tamed the recoil noticably.

TG is a fast burning powder. Slower powders work comps better.

I am a big fan of TG, but there are likely better powders for 45, and there are likely better powders for a 40 open gun.

That said, I know that 38 Super running TG finished top 10 at the USPSA Nationals.

That said, I know that 38 Super running TG finished top 10 at the USPSA Nationals.

Please tell me it was Minor!

Heck, it might have been 9mm or 40, but it was TG in an Open gun, running Major power factor.

38 Super Major is entirely possible with TG with 150gr bullet and 4.8gr. Now finishing in the top 10 that is a lot harder to fathom. Then again a very good Limited shooter might do well with an open gun with a lot of flip and recoil. Did you say it also had a Tasco Pro Point and it was single stack? yawn.gif

38 Super Major is entirely possible with TG with 150gr bullet and 4.8gr. Now finishing in the top 10 that is a lot harder to fathom. Then again a very good Limited shooter might do well with an open gun with a lot of flip and recoil. Did you say it also had a Tasco Pro Point and it was single stack? yawn.gif

With a cast 150, some guns probably would make Major, but that combination (lead+TG at 1100+fps) would likely be considered an environmental hazard and banned by numerous international treaties. Having shot about 100K worth of heavy cast bullets (143-147) at Major in a Super with a much more lead friendly powder, I wouldn't want to have been on the squad much less the RO :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

I shot titegroup loaded in .38 Supercomp yesterday in a fun match.

In testing, the recoil was managable.

I had about 50 rounds of 7625 and 100 more of titegroup loaded in my magazines.

I had never compared them side-by-side but when I got to the titegroup, I noticed a HUGE difference - don't do it. :blink:

(I did shoot a classifier that was a few percentage points away from Master and take second place to K.C. Eusebio but I would have done enough better to justify using the appropriate powder)

Edited by DyNo!