Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags for Limited?

twister

How many mags do I need to have for Limited? I'm new to Limited,I thought I'd ask first. Thanks for any help, Dave

I ususally have at least 5 or 6 in the bag, just in case I want to shoot L10,but if you are going to shoot limited and your are going to do 2 reloads on a stage, I want 4 mags, just in case of a bobbled reload. 1 in the gun, 3 on the belt at start.

More is better, but most folks run with one in the gun and 2-4 on the belt. Don't think in terms of rounds - no one is planning to run through 100 rounds on one stage - think in terms of how many reloads you might have to do due to jams, fumbled reloads, mandatory reloads, or stage layout.

Minimum 3 total .....assuming you are holding around 18+ rounds in each mag.

Optimal 4 total

I run 1 in the gun, and 3 on the belt for a total of 4. Just in case you drop a mag during a reload, one falls from your belt while moving, or you get a jam and have to drop a mag after only a couple rounds from it.

18x3=54...... total rounds on a stage is 32max, assuming no misses or make up shots or jams. That is why you need at least three. Plus, you should not be shooting till you are empty and then doing your reload.

Randy

OK, thanks for the quick replies. I'll be using three on the belt, one in the gun. Thanks, Dave

Four on the belt really is much better. I was starting the last stage of the CO state championship a couple of years ago when "it" happened. I opened up the door after the buzzer and as I went through, the doorframe pulled two of my mags out of their pouches, dropping them on the ground. This was a 32 round field course with a TON of steel :surprise:

I had one in the gun and two left on my belt so I was fine. One and one may not have cut it...one bobbled reload, a bad run on a Texas star etc, and you're backing up looking for a mag. Just because you have four pouches on your belt doesn't mean you have to use them all the time, but for long field courses, it's worth it.

Everybody feels bad when the person shooting runs out of ammo partially through a stage; Don't be that guy ;) R,

(i dont shoot limited yet so take this for what its worth).

1 in the gun, 1 for the reload, 1 for the possible 2nd reload and 1 for the "Oh $*!^" moment is what Im going to plan on whent he Limited time comes.

I keep four on my belt + one in the gun. 100 rnds might seem like overkill and usually is, but I would rather have them handy for the oh Sh** moment Bart described above. An extra 10oz. or whatever isn't going to give me a herniated disk, so why not :D

I have belts set up for each division, Limited & L-10, Production, Single Stack. They are set up the same, everything set like US Production or International Standard. Each belt has five mag pouches and a Blade Tech holster DOH for everything except SS ( a non DOH). That way my draw stroke is very similar and my movement for mags is the same regardless of division. Not necessarily the best for everyone but great for me.

• 1 month later...

I would have thought that this topic would have been discussed before, but I couldn't find where. I do admit that my search-Fu is weak.

How many mags are NEEDED for a Level II match in limited division? These are 21 round reloadable mags in .40 for Major PF.

The long course is 32 rounds. Generally no more than 8-9 rounds from any one shooting position is recommended. Some devious stage designer will force an extra reload by they way they arrange the targets, shooting areas and distances- Area 2 is famous for setting up interesting challenges in this regard.

For most matches, one in the gun, one reload, and one extra for strange circumstances; blown reload, extra shots on a plate rack or star, etc, seems to be the minimum number of mags per stage.

Four mags is a great safety margin.

OK, thanks for the quick replies. I'll be using three on the belt, one in the gun. Thanks, Dave

Four on the belt really is much better. I was starting the last stage of the CO state championship a couple of years ago when "it" happened. I opened up the door after the buzzer and as I went through, the doorframe pulled two of my mags out of their pouches, dropping them on the ground. This was a 32 round field course with a TON of steel :surprise:

I had one in the gun and two left on my belt so I was fine. One and one may not have cut it...one bobbled reload, a bad run on a Texas star etc, and you're backing up looking for a mag. Just because you have four pouches on your belt doesn't mean you have to use them all the time, but for long field courses, it's worth it.

Everybody feels bad when the person shooting runs out of ammo partially through a stage; Don't be that guy ;) R,

I could not agree more. I shoot open but at Area 7 I started with the big stick in the gun and the usual 2 on the belt for a 32 round course. As I pulled away from the 7th shot and spun left, my 2 remaing mags fell out :goof: and tumbled several feet behind the rear fault line :surprise: as I am running the other way. I shot the target and had to run back for the mags. They were to far apart so I grabbed the closest one and finished the stage. The moral is carry 3 extra on the belt and make sure they are tight in the mag pouches on field courses. Nobody got this circus act on film :roflol:

I guess you can carry enough for any possibility but I tend to load my belt the same for Limited as I do for L10 and SS. Enough to handle all of the mag changes that I plan plus 1. of course I am adverse to having too much weight on my belt plus I feel a bit funny with 80 rounds on me to shoot a 24 or 32 round course of fire. If the God's intervene and I drop one then I figure it is just the God's keeping me humble.