Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inception

Jman

I'm not sure I agree with the James Bond, but I definately see the Matrix connection.

Easily the best movie I've seen this year. If you dive into it and pay attention to what they say and how stuff works it's really quite the ride. You can't just sit back idlely though...this an intelligent, thinking movie....not a mindless action fest (although those aren't bad either ;))

Exceptional...highly recommended.

Edited by Lanzo

Saw it last night. Great story,I'm amazed the imagination that a person or even persons must have to write this movie. I would recommend watching this one in theater where you're not distracted by other things because you need to pay attention.

it was cool. yeah, I could see where people would say it was Matrix-ey.

James Bond-ish...meh....not so much...maybe more like the Mission Impossible movies.

if you get motion sickness easily, you might want to take some dramamine before you see this at an iMax theatre.

I saw it in a regular theatre and it was quite the spectacle.

If this was an "intelligent, thinking movie", it missed nearly a full auditorium this afternoon.

Very cool action. Clever story. Good performances though none great. Hoping for something better. Didn't happen for me.

Guess it's my age. I like beginnings, middles and ends. ;)

2-1/2 out 4 stars

It was one of the best movies I have seen in a few years, But they fell short . building things is not such a big deal in dreams. the ability to guide the dream is cool. Some 1970 s "brain" / Mind Control classes used to teach that The move writers could have mixed in some Facts to make the story better.

• 1 month later...

Saw it last night - really liked it. Engaging most all the time. Who thinks up that ealborate of a story! IMO the special effects were just a bonus round to the movie itself.

My only two negatives, at about 2:30, for me it was too long. Two hours is plenty long for any movie. And the shooting scenes, to much heavily armed shooting at the "good guys," with hardly anyone getting shot.

Question:

Who was the super old guy at the beginning and at the end of the film?

Is this the answer?

The old man is Di Caprio and Wantabe at the same time. You see, the thing is that none of the events depicted in the movie happened in reality. It is a dream from start to finish. First of all, it's Nolan's dream that he's sharing with us through the cinematic experience. But apart from that, everything that happens in this movie is Leonardo's dream. Or even our dream. He's not an extractor trying to implant an idea in a young enterpreneur's (Cilian Murphy) mind by going into deper and deeper levels of his subconcious. Not at all. He is some poor soul, just like everyone of us, lost in his own inner world, and trying to find his way out. All the other persons in this movie are his projections, or personifiations of some faint ideas of himself. Wantabe is honor, duty and wisdom. Murphy/Pete Postlethwaite is archetypal father-son conflict (and boy vs adult as well) and every man's burden of living up to your father's expectations. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is your yuppie, succesful-and-not-bad-looking-at-all better self, while Leo is the romantic rogue with a dark secret. And who's his dead wife, if not a voice of reason, screaming at him to get real? Just as his children are. We'd all do much crazier things in our lives if we dind't have our families to think about. Don't we all sometimes feel like we're a cop, a secret agent, a pimp, a rock star, a mathematic genius, an SAS commando on a top-secret mission in some winter-swept faraway land? Pay close attention to the Forger (Tom Hardy). He represents that part of our (leo's) mind that can impersonate anybody. Haven't you ever had a dream when you were convinced you were somebody else? Or somebody in your dream all of a sudden turns into another person and you're only surprised for a fraction of a second? That's what Nolan meant by forgery. And do you know what he meant by the the titular "Inception"? It's stealing the dreams from all of us, writing them down into a movie script and making an oneiric CGI-overdosed blockbuster, then planting this back into our minds at selected cinemas and letting the dream continue by itself. Work of genius or a fraud? Do not think for a moment that the dream is over. Just watch the open ending again. Do you think the spinning top will topple? No. We're still dreaming. You'll see in the upcoming sequel.

just copied it from somewhere else...

Edited by benos
to make spoiler

Saw it a second time over last weekend. Really, really enjoy that flick...

After the first time, I was unsure exactly what to think, in terms of whether Cobb was really awake at the end, or was that still a dream - I had some thoughts about it, but was unsure. After the second time, I'm pretty confident the intent is that he's full awake (in that he's not dreaming) - the symbology of seeing his kid's faces, etc, and the fact that the top never did anything but spin solidly in the dream - it didn't wobble... Those things have me thinking that. And then it occurred to me... that doesn't even matter. Cobb could still be dreaming, and yet he's still managed to be happy where he's at. He's let go of the past, reclaimed his life (real or imagined) and can move on from there - though one has to wonder if he might suffer from the same inception that got Mal.... Just some thoughts, anyway...

Who was the super old guy at the beginning and at the end of the film?

Saito - remember, he's been down at the "pure subconscious" level for a little while after he died, and it might take Cobb some time to find him - in fact, it took a while, judging by the fact that everyone is out of the van and back on shore, and waking up on the plane... and then Cobb wakes up... So, due to the effects on time, Saito had aged quite dramatically in the couple of minutes in "real time" that he was down.

Is this the answer?

It's an interesting read, but my take on that blurb is that it's either a joke, or just written by someone who's a little too jaded and jealous... Can't we just enjoy a freakin' movie anymore? :lol:

• 5 months later...