Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 super colt

Hello All!

I have a chance to buy a colt frame/caspian slide .38 super 1911 with a red-dot sight and mount.

The frame I think is an older one. Can it withstand the .38 super loads needed to make major? I know most people use STI open guns. I've even seen a Glock in open, but never a Colt frame.

Steve

The only thing I could see being an issue if you plan to shoot USPSA Open with it is magazine capacity. I am guessing it is a single stack frame with 9 or maybe 10 magazines? You will be shooting agaist guys with 28 to 31 round magazines which will mean you burn a lot of time doing mag changes during the stages.

Joe W.

Without more specifics it's really hard to tell, but if it's an older gun that was set up for Major, it's probably fine. Some of the earlier guns didn't have ramped barrels, and there were different limits on bullet weight for cast versus jacketed for them, but that restriction is long gone. If you want to really shoot Open, it won't be remotely competitive (I still have a gun like this from the early 90s)....heavy, and a third of the magazine capacity everyone else is using. R,