Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having been "flexed" a number of times, I'm curious if it's time to entertain relaxing the rules in the hate forum. What's wrong with a topic becoming a discussion? Rants bring with it others that may also feel the same way. Why is it this is the only forum category that does not allow discussion?

Edited by outerlimits

outerlimits,

I think you have no idea how bad a re-rant forum would be.

emotional fights are ugly.

ETA... Flex is pretty evenhanded and best of all he gives

the reason for the call most times.

BTW has anyone made the typo "flez" instad of flex?

miranda

Edited by Miranda

I concur. Flex and Singlestack must get some kind of pleasure from closing out some of the rants I've seen, as some of them have turned quite entertaining....

and sometimes the "discussion" isn't even a rebuttal but simply adding on to what you hate

Just my 2-bits. I think that we don't need to change the curent set-up.

Thought about it some more and believe that we are good as we stand.

Edited by Modoc

Does not take much for a hate thread to achieve critical mass, and get all thermonuclear. The whole hate forum nearly got eliminated at least once.

I'm fine with the rules as they are, and I'd encourage extreme caution if your thinking of spreading hate elsewhere in the forums.

Edited by wide45

Moderator perspective: Experience is what it keeps us from relaxing the HATE FORUM rules. We've been down that road before -- the rules have evolved gradually over time. Brian's original concept was for a place where one could rant, no discussion, no rebuttals permitted. That wasn't a hard and fast rule -- and it worked for a while. As the forum grew however, things got out of hand. Folks who are moderated seem to think that the moderators should be consistent and should have a rule to cite to back up their decisions -- hence the expanding rule set.....

It's simply not 2001 anymore.....

The rest of the answer can mostly be found in the complete Hate Forum Rules:

The Hate forum is for rants only - please, no lengthy discussions or debates.

Hate threads that turn into discussions or debates will be automatically locked without notice.

General or supportive-related comments are not prohibited; however - rebuttals are specifically prohibited.

If you don't agree with someone's rant - keep it to yourself.

Add the word "CLOSED" as the last line in your INITIAL post, if you do not want anyone to reply in your thread. A moderator will then lock your thread. (You can also PM a moderator, if you'd like your post locked immediately.)

• Hate rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is also not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

• If your hate rant has to do with shooting then it needs to be directed towards yourself.

• In general - The Hate Forum is not for venting about anything to do with anyone or thing that hits close to home here. Please keep that in mind when posting in the Hate Forum.

I'm sorry for these restrictions, which may restrict a few reasonable hate rants. Overall, the moderating staff does not feel it's appropriate for the forum's content or well being in general.

NOTE: At a Moderator's discretion, Hate rants may be locked at any time after the initial post.

Thanks!

be

Hello, I'm Clint and I have been Flex'd.

However,

This is Brian's forum, he gets to set the rules.

This is a great forum for what Brian has allowed it to become, namely the best place to find information and answers to shooting related issues, namely USPSA, but other disciplines are welcomed.

As far as political and hate rants are concerned; thems are the rules and they are the price you pay for this mainly awesome forum.

I don't visit or post as often as I could because those rules. However, this place still rocks. If you need to post hates, politics, or anything else the Host doesn't approve of; find another avenue and leave this Forum simply the best one stop shopping for competition pistol shooting discussion in the world.

I hate not being able to vent to like minded people on controversial issues, but thems the rules. Most forums don't have hate category anyway.

I'm fine with things the way they are. If you really want to discuss something, something appropriate that is, don't post it in HATE.

If you just want a screaming ranting flame thread, there are other forums which seem to specialize in them.

Cheers to Brian and the mods for keeping this a civil place to hang out. :cheers:

I dont know. Personally I think some of the more interesting discussions could come out of the hate threads, but because of the rules cant. Kind of seems pointless to me. If keeping everyone happy is the goal, why even have a hate forum?

For example, I take some offense to someone inferring Im a douchebag just cause I dont follow the 16th century etiquette enforced upon them by their physically abusive father. This is fine, that part dont mind it. What I do mind is the rule that disallows inferring what a judgmental, self righteous, douchebag the original poster is.

As it is now, the forum is often a let me tell everyone how I hate people like you, nobody can say otherwise, and no way can I learn another perspective. I dont think thats a very good group cohesion strategy.

Edited by badchad

I agree with Corey. Just like the "Gun Stigma" thread. If you want to discuss something, post it in Miscellaneous or another relative forum. The mods will probably let the conversation continue as long as everyone plays nice.

Nice place you've got here. Thanks for allowing me in. Now here is how I would like you to change it to suit my needs...

Sounds wrong doesn't it?

-ld

No politics please. :D

I was watching the Fox newscast when I wrote that. B)

-ld

I concur. Flex and Singlestack must get some kind of pleasure from closing out some of the rants I've seen, as some of them have turned quite entertaining....

rolleyes.gif

That is like saying we get pleasure from giving a shooter a Procedural Penalty.

and sometimes the "discussion" isn't even a rebuttal but simply adding on to what you hate

While there is absolutely "no rebuttals"...

The rule is "no discussions". What is a discussion, one might ask...? Oh...about a page worth of posts.

You'd think we haven't been doing this for years and years.

This might be one of those "learning opportunities". smile.gif

For example, I take some offense to someone inferring I'm a "douchebag" just cause I don't follow the 16th century etiquette enforced upon them by their physically abusive father. This is fine, that part don't mind it. What I do mind is the rule that disallows inferring what a judgmental, self righteous, douchebag the original poster is.

While I might agree with you on "hat wearing" in general, I am pretty sure nobody singled you (or me) out in that thread. In fact, we don't allow Hate Rants that "hit close to home".

However, it is crystal clear that you just called somebody here a douchebag...directly. Name calling is completely unacceptable here.

As it is now, the forum is often a "let me tell everyone how I hate people like you, nobody can say otherwise, and no way can I learn another perspective." I don't think that's a very good group cohesion strategy.

Neither is calling somebody a douche bag. Along that same line, being purposely antagonistic doesn't help that cause either.

In fact, your post is a perfect example of why we don't allow rebuttals/discussions in the Hate Forum. People often want to argue an opposing perspective. Think about that...somebody is posting a Hate Rant (folks...that is emotion)...either you'd like to rebut that with "logic" (which isn't going to change the mind of somebody on an emotional tirade) or you want to rebut that with further emotion (which we just saw).

Ummm...yeah...not gonna happen here.

Glock Talk is still taking members. That is a great place to go sound off. Somebody there is bound to disagree with you, especially on emotional issues (though there are some nuggets of logic from time to time). Heck, they probably have a thread on douche bags. BTW..."douche bag"??? What an intellectually limp insult!

The group cohesion comes from the fact that is is a place to come to "talk about the shooting". Whenever we start to stray from that a bit, I expect the Moderating Team to help steer us back on course. That is Brian's desire, my will, and the hard work from the great all-volunteer Moderating Team.

On that note....CLOSED.

- Admin.