Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Revolver Tuning Options

lrjet

Want to shoot my K3814-5 in production next year just so I can shoot more than my Open Auto. Its my understanding that I can do a trigger job but externally it must look stock. Also, proper timing and such. Can I add a crane lock? On the forcing cone, can that be cut to a different angle--want to shoot wad cutters and if I remember right Ron Power mentioned a certain angle that is beneficial to cutters--not sure. If I decide to run a different shape bullet I might consider Taylor throat. The sights--I can run fiber optic if I want is also my understanding. Thx

Want to shoot my K3814-5 in production next year just so I can shoot more than my Open Auto. Its my understanding that I can do a trigger job but externally it must look stock. Also, proper timing and such. Can I add a crane lock? On the forcing cone, can that be cut to a different angle--want to shoot wad cutters and if I remember right Ron Power mentioned a certain angle that is beneficial to cutters--not sure. If I decide to run a different shape bullet I might consider Taylor throat. The sights--I can run fiber optic if I want is also my understanding. Thx

You will find reloading wadcutters problematical. The internal stuff is fine. The sight is fine as long as it is post. Problems could occur with certain cylinder releases and hammer modification, but, practically they do not at local matches. Nobody knows or cares

Seeing as we have no reloads under time, I would use a wadcutter for sure. BUT be aware that 148gr Wadcutters will require you to be aiming slightly off teh edge of the target at 25Y.

There is a mould from Magma for a 135gr Full Wadcutter that would be going about 925fps to make pf, a couple of guys down here used them to great effect. I have some at my shop but they won't help you much. At 925fps you will be aiming essentially at the edge of the target. Look about and see what some of the bullet makers are doing. I would lean towards a medium weight hollow base or fronted wadcutter or shoot 125gr Zero or similar jacketed. Some opinions vary on longevity of forcing cone in K frame guns with Jacketed. Never used a K frame much for this game so I stand to be corrected.

gm iprod: I would like to try the Zero 125JHP and know Warren uses them with great success but I am afraid of shooting them behind 5.3 or so grains of hp38 in my K frame. I really like my 14-5 and want to take care of it so guess lead is the way to go. The 135FWC would be a good idea. Right now off a rest my K38 will shoot WC .750-1.500 @ 25yd and 1.5-3.0 @ 50yd. Agree on the mover and the edge--I just have to practice-heck I cant shoot the mover with my open mover base anyway :-) Thanks

DO NOT SHOOT THEM IN YOUR K-FRAME YOU WILL CRACK THE FORCING CONE!!!!!! :angry2: I know this for a fact. A K-Frame cannot handle a full dose of jacketed bullets!!! I cracked my K-Frame Frank Glenn this way and he told me the same thing!

Kim

Edited by kimmbeckwith

That's why I only build on L frames. Then you can shoot whatever you want. I just realized - this might be the only good reason to use Taylor throating. It might keep the forcing cone from cracking on a K frame. It might not too - that would have to be tested.

GMIPROD is on the money... the 135gn wadcutter is a solution that works. I must have close to 130K through one of my K frames and it still shoots an inch at 50 yards.

I usually push them along at around 940fps and on the mover (at 25 yards) use an aiming area between the edge of the target and a foresight's width into the 5. That way I still have target behind the sights to give me a clear sight picture.

It is much easier with a mover mount though !!

The RCBS 124 CN bullet is a good alternative if you are into handcasting, they can be pushed along at around 1030fps with 4.4gns of WST and are very accurate. Best part is they don't seem to hurt forcing cones like jacketed projectiles of the same weight. Recoil is sharper, but recovery is even quicker than the 135's.

YMMV

Edited by Service Desk

All my experience on revolvers (and it isn't great) is with L frame. I currently have two 686 and a 586 1/2. HArd to explain.

I just love those 135gr WC. But for giggles and busting Magpies I use the 125gr Zero.

One of my 686's was used to win the 1999 Stock Gun Class at the NRA AP World Shoot (not by me), he just borrowed my gun. I would look around for anyone using the Magma Mould in the chart at this link. Using the lead composition that the guy who makes our bullets runs you get them at 135gr.

http://magmaengineering.com/PDF/FBOct132008b.pdf

What area are you in?

Black Bullets use magma mould by the look of these. https://blackbulletsinternational.com/ look under products. Call thema nd see if they will do something to help. You may have to pay for teh mould, but it might be worth a crack.

What is the rules about shipping bullets into the US. If someone is coming down for the NRA AP Worlds they could get some to try?

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand in Production Revolvers you don't want to remove any "Safety Devices". Such as the Transfer Bar and/or the Safety Lock, if it has one.

The hammer block has to be there in Open, Metallic and Production.

The lock is not a safety device, it is a political device.

• 1 month later...

Have the timing set perfect. Have all the throats cut to the same size. I use .357 throats with a .355 barrel and shoot .3575 bullets. That's how they come out of my mould. I run them through a .358 sizer to lube them.

Have a decent trigger pull done. Any good gunsmith can do it. Frank Glenn is known for his Bianchi Cup gunwork. Look for him in the Phoenix Yellow Pages. It doesn't have to be super light but needs to be smooth with no high spots.

Regular sights are good but the Weigan replacement rear gives a better view, kind of like mounting a Bomar on there.

I have shot a large number of 124gr FTCN though my Mod 14 (well over 25k) and I have nver had a cracked frame or forcing cone. I found that it was very good om mover and I used the x for 10 Yards, 10 for 15 yards, 8 for 20 Yards and target eged for 15 yards, There were doing about 1080 FPS. But My open Revolver had many more then that in it but it was a 586. I now shoot Auto.