Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bull barrel fitting

johnny7

Just looking for a brief explanation on how a bull barrel fits in the slide. Does the barrel just make contact around the slide at the end of the barrel and if so how does one fit it?

thanks

Johnny

ohh, well in that case....The barrel hood gets shortened until the lugs drop in. Then using a fired case in the chamber for flash hole/firing pin clearance, the sides of the lugs are removed a very little at a time until the firing pin hole lines up with the flash hole of the fired case. It should now fit in the slide correctly. Now, the lower lugs or "feet" need to be fitted so that the link fits and functions correctly and the slide stop pushes the barrel snugly into place. The front of a bull barrel should fit without modification. It's not nearly as easy as it sounds to do right. If anyone uses that little description to try to fit a barrel for the first time, you probably just ruined a barrel. :angry:

Thanks for the reply. Basically just curious to as how the front of the barrel was fitted to the slide. I know with bushings barrels sometimes the bushing may need a little work so I was curious as to the barrel to slide fit at the muzzle.

I've been told they shouldn't require any modification at the front of the barrel but the one I fitted did need modification. Contact points can be found by covering surfaces with a marker and looking for where it rubs away when the barrel is put in the slide. Fun stuff! :closedeyes:

Barrel. But only if there is "springing." Let a pro do it but see if you can watch. It's a bit of a pain, but very rewarding when done right.

Edited by stockton

Barrel. But only if there is "springing." Let a pro do it but see if you can watch. It's a bit of a pain, but very rewarding when done right.

"Springing" is what I had when I tried it...Couldn't get the lugs to drop in without taking some off the top of the barrel about 2-3 inches from the muzzle. I used emery paper and sanded it by hand.

"Springing" is what I had when I tried it...Couldn't get the lugs to drop in without taking some off the top of the barrel about 2-3 inches from the muzzle. I used emery paper and sanded it by hand.

Not all that uncommon - given the variations in barrel profiles for bull barrels. I use the lathe to adjust the lockup points, it is just a bit more precise. Rergardless, it is not a job for anyone who has not had some experience at fitting parts (as opposed to changing parts).... unless they have a pocket full of greenbacks.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

NICE POST ... lots of good info.