Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Set

benos

I was trying to write what I'd previously wrote on this to send in a PM, and couldn't find it anywhere (even on my computer). So here it is again here (newly written version)...

With an empty gun, without drawing, assume your index position. Take a moment and move your attention slowly up from your waist, through your chest, then up into your head, out through your arms and into your grip. Notice and remember the calm feeling you have in your mind and face, and your perfect grip and arm tension. Remember your mind, face, arm, and grip tension as one calm feeling. Call the totality of the feeling "The Set."

(Assigning a name to a group of remembered feelings makes it easier to summon the The Set on demand.)

Now without a start beep, summon the feeling of The Set, and draw to your index position, keeping all of your attention on the feeling on the feeling of The Set throughout the draw.

Repeat drawing to The Set over and over, until are completely certain of its total feeling, and complete confident in your ability to draw to The Set. Make that a part of your daily practice.

Then take The Set to the practice range. Allow yourself not to work on any other skills until you know you are always shooting within The Set.

At "Shooter Ready," exhale slightly, at "Stand By," summon the feeling of The Set ... and this is the key ... along with the command to preserve the feeling of The Set right through the buzzer and the draw - until the first shot fires.

The further hone your ability to summon The Set by repeating the above at the beginning of each stage in every match.

If a stage has movement, train to summon The Set as you move into each new position.

Once my skill set was complete, The Set was all I cared about.

be

Brian> Is your interpretation of what "The Set" is the same or close to shooting from a relaxed body core state? I have been trying to incorporate shooting and moving through stages while consciously keeping the core of my body, usually focused in my abdomen relaxed. Doing this helps me keep my overall tension level down which in turn allows me to move and shoot more fluidly. Moving and shooting quickly while keeping your bodies core muscles relaxed is a very challenging task. It really feels opposite of what you should be doing, but the times when I can move and shoot from a relaxed body core state my shooting speed, consistency and accuracy are WAY better than "Trying" to go fast with increased tension. Mastering this ability has been very challenging. Its like trying to pat your head and rub your belly at the same time. Or thats at least how awkward it feels some times :wacko:

I'd say you are right on it CHA-LEE.

And yes, it is extremely challenging. And as you are learning, the results, from keeping a calm center at all times, are way better than allowing the natural tendency to rush to preside.

The key, for me, was learning to maintain the feeling of The Set through the buzzer and into the shooting.

Keep the learning going.

be

In a match invironment I learned to produce the feeling of calmness when I control my urge to rush my movements and shots. This control usually results from my determination to shoot "A"s no matter how long it takes for my sights to settle on the target and I patiently wait for it to see before I release the shot. When I did it in my first stage of the match, I usually ran all the stages effortlessly and w/ the least error. But the best part is, because I know the preceding factors that could lead me to this feeling, Im learning to produce this on demand. I could be shooting in my SET?

But Im not an A class shooter nor better. We dont do IPSC classifiers here in my place so its my educated guess.

Edited by BoyGlock

Brian, I recall having read your original post on "The Set" several years ago. I'm guessing it was about 2002 when you first posted it. I may even have a printed copy of it stashed somewhere.

Awareness of calling "the set" has stayed with me all this time because it had such a positive influence on my shooting from the moment I first understood what you were talking about.

It's one of the most helpful things anyone has ever told me. Wisdom is a gift that keeps on giving. Thank you.

This is awesome. I know that I have done this by accident with good results. I will definitely work on this and start to purposely incorporate "the set". Lately I have been really hyped at the start of each stage and I think that this will help with that and a few other things.

Thanks Brian!

• 6 months later...

I was trying to write what I'd previously wrote on this to send in a PM, and couldn't find it anywhere (even on my computer). So here it is again here (newly written version)...

With an empty gun, without drawing, assume your index position. Take a moment and move your attention slowly up from your waist, through your chest, then up into your head, out through your arms and into your grip. Notice and remember the calm feeling you have in your mind and face, and your perfect grip and arm tension. Remember your mind, face, arm, and grip tension as one calm feeling. Call the totality of the feeling "The Set."

(Assigning a name to a group of remembered feelings makes it easier to summon the The Set on demand.)

Now without a start beep, summon the feeling of The Set, and draw to your index position, keeping all of your attention on the feeling on the feeling of The Set throughout the draw.

Repeat drawing to The Set over and over, until are completely certain of its total feeling, and complete confident in your ability to draw to The Set. Make that a part of your daily practice.

Then take The Set to the practice range. Allow yourself not to work on any other skills until you know you are always shooting within The Set.

At "Shooter Ready," exhale slightly, at "Stand By," summon the feeling of The Set ... and this is the key ... along with the command to preserve the feeling of The Set right through the buzzer and the draw - until the first shot fires.

The further hone your ability to summon The Set by repeating the above at the beginning of each stage in every match.

If a stage has movement, train to summon The Set as you move into each new position.

be

This has been TREMENDOUSLY helpful Brian, Thank You

be

Brian , could you explain what index position is? Thanks TF.

• 5 years later...