Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition Drill Part 1

benos

Finally got out to do this. 

5.38+.5

5.18+1

Draws between 1.08 and 1.35  Most of my splits were about .5 unless it was T3 to T1 those took longer 

Dropped a few runs as the gun wasn't running good.  Swapped out the springs and oiled her up.   

Production CZ Shadow 2 from a production holster.   

Looking forward to getting those splits down.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4.87 average over 6 strings. Noticed that t2 to t3 if I stay steady I lose track (could also be I ran this drill after 14 hour shift {thank you daylight savings....}) and be A/C territory to the right on t3.

Going fast bumped my average to 5.12.

Pm sent for part 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

String 1 6.16 + 1.5= 7.66

string 2 6.1 + 1.5= 7.6

string 3 5.85 + 1= 6.85

string 4 5.28 + .5= 5.77

string 5 5.68 + 1= 6.68

string 6 5.78 + 2.5= 8.28

draws around 1.4 

transitions.40 to .50 & wide transition .60 to .70

• 2 weeks later...

I have inserted this drill into my weekly live fire drills. Normal draw 1.2 sec with a string time of 4.5 to 5.4 sec. Bad runs, missed grip etc into 6's. I usually use double thick targets and tape the rear target, leaving the front target shot up, that helps me with the shot calling as well. Then I use the same targets and practice El Presidente too. Saves range time and setup time. Need part 2 now.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw that this thread still seemed to be reasonably active, after lots of years, so I shot the drill last Sunday, and again on Monday.  I'm still pretty new to this type of shooting, at about 1.5 years in, but I had a really cool thing happen on the Monday practice; I was able to snap my eyes to the next target and then bring the gun into alignment, at speed. I had previously not been able to get past leading with the gun, so this was a big deal for me!  the times initially stayed the same, but man, the accuracy improved greatly.  I'd been missing to the outside of the "A" box on the two outside targets when leading with the gun, not every time, and only by a centimeter or so, but snapping eyes to target first cut the misses down to maybe one in 5 runs. Times started coming down after a while, too.  Runs toward the end of Monday were around 5.8x or so, will work on this more along with "Hateful Eight" drills, and hope to hear back for part deux. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally went out to the range and shot this one. Shooting 1911 Major PF.  Didn't record my draws or splits.  

1-4.69 + 3 sec 7.69

2-4.87 + 3 sec 7.87

3-5.29 + 1.5= 6.79

4-5.07 + 1.5= 6.57

5-4.87 + 3.5= 8.37

6-5.38 + 2.5= 7.88

7-5.17 + 2.5 = 7.67

8-5.01 + 1.0 = 6.01

9-5.53 + 3 = 8.53

10-5.75 + 2= 7.75

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very good drill ... thanks

On 7/6/2010 at 6:23 PM, benos said:

It took me quite a while to find this old post, so I started a thread with it to make it easier to find later...

And for a live-fire drill, next time you're at the range, try the following drill.

Set up 3 IPSC targets at 10 yards, about a yard a apart, edge to edge. Only hits in the A box count. On the buzzer draw and shoot one shot at each target - left to right, then repeat left to right, then repeat again left to right - for a total of 9 shots. Check your time, add a half second for each non-A, and note your score. You don't really care about your score that much, just remember it for later. Shoot a 6 - 10 strings, to establish an average score. While you're establishing your average - you're just shooting like you normally would. Don't try any new tricks or anything at all. In the end just know your average score for the drill.

As I was typing part 2, I thought of a way to keep it real. ;) There won't be a part 2 until you go to the range and do part 1. Then PM me, and I'll reply with part 2.

be