Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Pro 1000 Tip & Tricks

I'm new with the p1k. So far haven't had much of a chance to sit down and throw out some rounds. I guess I have to work out some quirks and then everything runs smoothly. Anyone wanna throw out the major tips for using the lee pro 1000? Thanks. 40sw

Definitely read this thread as most of these tips were hard won.

As far as being new with the press...

Disassemble the press and clean it throughly before starting. They come from the factory pre-assembled and the insides can be dirty from transport. This will save you time in the long run.

Go slow. Run a couple hundred rounds through the press one at a time to learn how all of the mechanisms operate and how to clear the jams you WILL get.

Pay close attention to the primer tray and chute. FEEL every single primer seat on the downstroke. If it doesn't feel right, odds are you have an upside down/smashed/no primer situation which will cause the press to bind up later on or cause powder to trickle down into the priming mechanism. If you get powder down in there, clean it out ASAP otherwise you will have many misprimes until you do.

Tap the primer tray regularly. The little metal piece that agitates the tray doesn't do a good job and you will run your chute dry. Keep the chute full or you won't prime.

Different brands of primer have different "slicknesses". I've found Remington and CCI primers just slide down the chute like they're greased while Winchester needs a tap to get going once in a while.

Don't use the bullet feeder/case feeders when you first start out. Clearing a jam from those is very time consuming until you learn how to do it right. They block easy access to the guts of the press and take time to readjust after a failure.

Use case lube. My .45 press sticks on the expander/powder die unless I lube, then it runs like a dream.

Oil the press with a very small amount of gun oil. This makes all the parts work better. This is a cheap press. It does not resist corrosion well. Keep it oiled/cleaned and it won't rust on you if you load in a garage.

That's all I got for now.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new with the p1k. So far haven't had much of a chance to sit down and throw out some rounds. I guess I have to work out some quirks and then everything runs smoothly. Anyone wanna throw out the major tips for using the lee pro 1000? Thanks. 40sw

Definitely read this thread as most of these tips were hard won.

As far as being new with the press...

Disassemble the press and clean it throughly before starting. They come from the factory pre-assembled and the insides can be dirty from transport. This will save you time in the long run.

Go slow. Run a couple hundred rounds through the press one at a time to learn how all of the mechanisms operate and how to clear the jams you WILL get.

Pay close attention to the primer tray and chute. FEEL every single primer seat on the downstroke. If it doesn't feel right, odds are you have an upside down/smashed/no primer situation which will cause the press to bind up later on or cause powder to trickle down into the priming mechanism. If you get powder down in there, clean it out ASAP otherwise you will have many misprimes until you do.

Tap the primer tray regularly. The little metal piece that agitates the tray doesn't do a good job and you will run your chute dry. Keep the chute full or you won't prime.

Different brands of primer have different "slicknesses". I've found Remington and CCI primers just slide down the chute like they're greased while Winchester needs a tap to get going once in a while.

Don't use the bullet feeder/case feeders when you first start out. Clearing a jam from those is very time consuming until you learn how to do it right. They block easy access to the guts of the press and take time to readjust after a failure.

Use case lube. My .45 press sticks on the expander/powder die unless I lube, then it runs like a dream.

Oil the press with a very small amount of gun oil. This makes all the parts work better. This is a cheap press. It does not resist corrosion well. Keep it oiled/cleaned and it won't rust on you if you load in a garage.

That's all I got for now.

Thanks a lot this should help me. I just got my press 3 days ago for my 21st birthday..I started with the lee single stage press. I'm waiting on some more components to arrive then ill get back here and post a review of my first "session". Does anyone know of any place to buy projectiles online at a decent price. It seems midway is the way to go.

Yep!

1. Get a can of air. The kind for computers. Blow out under the shell plate from time to time.

2. Slow down. When the case comes to the primer stage, develop a slight hesitation and let the primer advance. Seat and continue. It will become 2nd nature very quickly.

3. see #1

4. get rid of the chain and use springs! The chain will fail you. SQUIB! bang, bang, bang, poop,,,etc.

5. use a little graphite or silicon (on a q tip) on the case slide and the loaded round drop.

6. See #1 etc.

Your worst enemy is static electricity.

If all these tactics fail, paint said press dark blue and your problems will vanish...

Just kidding guys! Jeesh, lighten up!!

Pretty much anything will work, just depends on how often you want to reapply.

Thin coat of gun grease works well

Gun oil also works well but you'll wind up reoiling if you don't load for a week or two as it tends to dry out.

Be careful with the priming mechanism. Before you go to the range use your finger to feel the set of the primer. They should be flush with the back of the case. If not you might slam fire or get light strikes.

Be careful with the priming mechanism. Before you go to the range use your finger to feel the set of the primer. They should be flush with the back of the case. If not you might slam fire or get light strikes.

Thanks I have been making certain I get them seated flushly. I am thoroughly enjoying this press. I bought another one tonight from a guy at work in 45 ACP. He said I couldnt figure it out so I went back to the single stage. Lol. You won't believe this but he sold everything to me for $30!!!!!

they work well in 40 and 45. 9mm is more problematic due to the small size and varying brass. keep the primer feed clean, pay attention and refill as soon as you can. One of the more important things is to mount it on a sturdy table with little movement.

Well what I'm saying is if you're new to reloading please tell us what you're using to load (powder, amount, bullet, length). There aren't any "secret" recipes when you're loading for common handgun calibers.

I would hate it if you damaged your gun or hurt yourself doing something we could have identified as dangerous.

Have you guys seen the new Lee Pro 1000s that are shipping? They have a ROLLER HANDLE similar to the Dillon 650.

As soon as I saw it, I ordered it from Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/product/772679/lee-pro-1000-and-turret-press-roller-handle-update-kit

Cost under $23 bucks at the time of this posting. My wife had always used a ski glove on the old handle, and had to change her grip going up and then down. Now with the roller handle, she doesn't need the glove, doesn't change her hand positioning, and is much faster. I'm a lot faster and smoother with the upgrade too.

I've heard people talk about replacing the chain with the spring parts...I'm ordering them today. Hopefully it gets my powder throws more consistent. For those that are worried about squibs (everyone should be) the best way to avoid them is to put an eyeball on every single case that comes around for a bullet drop. Get a LOT of light angled onto the bullet feed station (some use a small flashlight, others a desk lamp).

AND....get a Dillon (or other manufacturer) case gauge. My wife and I shoot about 400 to 800 rounds per week, but we still take the time to run every cartridge through a case gauge. This insures that none of the cartridges will be too long, or have high primers. Once we drop a cartridge in, we just feel the primer to make sure it's level. Plus, by checking each cartridge, we have a better chance of finding a cracked case before it finds us.

Every now and then, the bullet feeder would knock bullets into the seating die, causing them to fall from the fingers. Check that the spring on the feeder mechanism isn't broken or loose. I've also found that putting a weight on the back of the bullet feeder (like the calibration weight for your scale) will help to insure that the bullet stays low to clear the seating die. I usually only have to put the wight on for 5 to 7 cycles, pull it off, and it runs perfectly.

Now that I have the bullet feeder turret installed, and the roller handle, I no longer have Blue Machine Envy.