Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Pro 1000 Tip & Tricks

I've been loading .40, 9mm and .38 super all with the same shell plate and have never had an issue. Over 80k loaded on my LP1K and the best part is the funny looks I get at a match when the conversation turns to presses and I proudly announce that I use a LP1K :D

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been loading 9mm on the LP1K for just over 6 months. The first month or two were driving me nuts. In our early days we had a couple of squib loads...most likely because something would go wrong, we'd fix it, and not notice that there wasn't any powder in the case. Those days are over. After the first month the wife was complaining and wanted to get a 650 like everyone else we know...now she's happy with the LP1K.

Since it was our first press, we had a LOT to learn. Once we learned how to feel the priming system...and if it goes dry to used compressed air to clean the primer pin pocket, things picked up. Then a friend suggested putting a light over the bullet seating stage, so we could make sure the powder was at the correct level. So far we've been using HS-6 and every powder throw is dead on. BTW, we can fit 200 primers at a time, and there's no problem. We do slap the primer feeder every now and then...but no problem.

I'd never seen the multi tube bullet feeder kit. We're ordering one now.

Edited by Chip_E

Chip_E commented:

After the first month the wife was complaining and wanted to get a 650 like everyone else we know...now she's happy with the LP1K.

You argued with your wife and talked yourself out of a 650?

Well, they are very different price points.

The Lee Pro 1000 is cute, but I really need at least 4 stations so I can separate seating and crimping and, maybe, get a chance to inspect the charged case.

The "problem" I see with this and the Dillon SDB and, to some extent, the 550 and 650, is the fact that the press is so compact (in terms of the shellplate size and die separation) and the indexing does not put the charged case right under the operator's eye for inspection, that any inspection is much harder.

With the case feeder and bullet feeder, I can see getting speeds up as much as you can, and still have the priming system work, and your attention is not on the charged case.

Chip_E commented:

After the first month the wife was complaining and wanted to get a 650 like everyone else we know...now she's happy with the LP1K.

You argued with your wife and talked yourself out of a 650?

Well, they are very different price points.

The Lee Pro 1000 is cute, but I really need at least 4 stations so I can separate seating and crimping and, maybe, get a chance to inspect the charged case.

The "problem" I see with this and the Dillon SDB and, to some extent, the 550 and 650, is the fact that the press is so compact (in terms of the shellplate size and die separation) and the indexing does not put the charged case right under the operator's eye for inspection, that any inspection is much harder.

With the case feeder and bullet feeder, I can see getting speeds up as much as you can, and still have the priming system work, and your attention is not on the charged case.

The Lee taper crimp seating die eliminates the need for a dedicated crimping station. At least that has been my experience.

I have to disagree with your "view" of the charged case, in the Pro 1000. When the shell plate indexes and is at the bottom of the press I can look down, directly into the charged case. One must have the correct lighting to see the powder, of course, and that is easy enough to do.

As for the case and bullet feeder(s) obstructing ones view, that is simply not the case. The case feeder is on the front of the press, and the bullet feeder is located on the back of the press. The left side of the press is completely open.

I have a Lee Pro1K and think it does a great job. However, like most everyone else I had problems with the primers not feeding correctly. Most of the issues seem to be due to the fact the primers would "bridge" across the gap in the tray and not feed into the ramp. If you didn't happen to notice in time, this would cause primers to either not feed or flip when priming a case jamming everything up. Most of the recommendations say to just tap or shake the tray every now and then but I found that I would still forget to do that, especially if you get into a groove. Since hardly anything is original nowadays, I won't claim that this has never been created before but this is my solution to the problem.

Hope this helps someone!

Suggestions for improving are welcome.

sorry, i don't have enough posts so I can't link directly so you'll have to cut and paste... //youtu.be/XNXHtJ0bUTE

Edited by chibern

As I posted earlier, I just put two zip ties on the rear right post to agitate the primer tray more, and that has worked for me.

The problem is on some carriers, the metal rod on the primer chute does not rub against the post hard enough to fall into the grooves on the right rear post and shake the assembly. I have two separate carriers, one works fine stock, the second I bought for different calibers does not. The zip ties fixed that.

I do like your fix, but it still requires you to hit the button.

As I posted earlier, I just put two zip ties on the rear right post to agitate the primer tray more, and that has worked for me.

The problem is on some carriers, the metal rod on the primer chute does not rub against the post hard enough to fall into the grooves on the right rear post and shake the assembly. I have two separate carriers, one works fine stock, the second I bought for different calibers does not. The zip ties fixed that.

I do like your fix, but it still requires you to hit the button.

Potato Chips: your fix is definitely more elegant/simpler. I probably should've tried your fix first!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the multi tube bullet feeder....wow, production goes way up.

As for talking the wife out of a Dillon...only because I knew she wanted US to get open guns (and the rigs that go with them). If you think a Dillon 650 is expensive, try ordering 2 Limcat/STI pistols at the same time.

Back to the topic of reloading...just got 12lbs of Silhouette (for our Major load) along with 6000 pieces of BEAUTIFUL cleaned, sized, and de-primed once fired brass (Crown Bullet MFG in Florida) and I'm ordering a case (or 2) of Montana Gold CMJs, and a few thousand small rifle primers from whoever has 'em cheapest.

We're in Illinois, so all of our shooting will be indoor until about March. The press is gonna get a good workout this winter. Hope to have a surplus ready for next year's outdoor season.

I bought my press and have been doing tons of research.

My solution for the primer tray will be

Attach a rubber band from the primer feed to increase the effect of gravity(will take a pic).

Attach a battery powered cell phone buzzer to shake the feeder wired to a switch(probably mount on the bench)

Here is an example that could be cleaned up a little

I ordered the reconditioned pro 1000 from lee for $126,case collator,and bullet feed kit(have to mod this too probably).

See posts 55 and 56.

Not sure I understand the rubber band idea, but curious.

There is a mod for the case collator, if you are loading 9mm. There is also a mod for the bullet feeder, which just keeps it from dropping a bullet if there is no case in the station. Both of these mods are on youtube.

Congrats on the new press. The press will take time and some tweaking to get it running smooth, but it will eventually work. Good luck!

I got the press and I'm having trouble with the primer feed.

Most people have problems with bridging not feeding the primers.

My problem is a primer is fed everytime but they are turning sideways or not seating at the station causing binding in the system.

Haven't figured it out yet.

I may just need to adjust the timing on the system.

Edited by MrWesson

My problem is a primer is fed everytime but they are turning sideways or not seating at the station causing binding in the system.

The timming could really mess up the priming stage which will be an easy fix. it might off been off from the factory. i have loaded at least 3K through mine and just not adjusted the timing.

also make sure you have the right shell carrier part. make sure its not a large pistol primer system and you are loading small pistol primers or vis versa.

never load more than 100 primers in the holder at a time and make sure the primer slot is at least half way up. if it gets any lower you will have primer issues.

make full strokes every time. if you have to stop the process make sure your indexing location is correct.

thats all the advice i have. i love the LEE pro..have 3 for different dedicated calibers. all but one of them runs smoothly. the one i have for my 45acp can be a pain for priming and powder charge. my 40s&w has never had a problem due to the press.

good luck and have fun getting addicted to you press.

After you try Droc's suggestions, just make sure the chute is clean, sometimes powder gets in there. I blow it out with compressed air once in a while, you can buy the little can for blowing out keyboards.

This is less expected, but I randomly started having similar priming issues. I could tell it was something with the chute. Took it apart, and there was a small burr right at the end of the chute, it was turning the primers on their side. I had already loaded a few thousand by that point, so it must have happened during operation, maybe the priming pin forced a primer back or something. Anyway, I smoothed it out and it worked fine.

The timming could really mess up the priming stage which will be an easy fix. it might off been off from the factory. i have loaded at least 3K through mine and just not adjusted the timing.

also make sure you have the right shell carrier part. make sure its not a large pistol primer system and you are loading small pistol primers or vis versa.

never load more than 100 primers in the holder at a time and make sure the primer slot is at least half way up. if it gets any lower you will have primer issues.

make full strokes every time. if you have to stop the process make sure your indexing location is correct.

thats all the advice i have. i love the LEE pro..have 3 for different dedicated calibers. all but one of them runs smoothly. the one i have for my 45acp can be a pain for priming and powder charge. my 40s&w has never had a problem due to the press.

good luck and have fun getting addicted to you press.

After you try Droc's suggestions, just make sure the chute is clean, sometimes powder gets in there. I blow it out with compressed air once in a while, you can buy the little can for blowing out keyboards.

This is less expected, but I randomly started having similar priming issues. I could tell it was something with the chute. Took it apart, and there was a small burr right at the end of the chute, it was turning the primers on their side. I had already loaded a few thousand by that point, so it must have happened during operation, maybe the priming pin forced a primer back or something. Anyway, I smoothed it out and it worked fine.

I broke down the press,cleaned it,lubed with graphite including the primer chute and she runs like a dream for now.

I reloaded about 300 rounds just testing her out at an incredible pace.

• 2 weeks later...

I have/had (it is in a box under my workbench) the lee pro 1000 in .45, reloaded close to 9k with it. Trashed the primer system, I don't have the patience that some of you are blessed with.... Instead i got a second toolhead and used the following steps.

1. clean and polish brass - drink beer

2. insert second toolhead with deprime/resize die installed.... Crank like hell (drilled holes under the press for primer drop)

3. take bucket of deprimed brass into the living room, get beer, turn on the tv, tell wife to sort through for small primer, and use rcbs universal hand primer. (hint: find tv marathon)

4. Disclaimer: NO BEER. put primary tool head back in. powder drop and expand in station one, seating die station two, LEE FCD in station three. Play the game to figure out which hole to use on the powder drop (have the powder bar but that thing blows)..... and bang away.

Moral to this story: Lee Pro 1000 was a great press when I was shooting 400 rounds a month. For two months straight I reloaded 1500 a month and that was hell. Ordered a 650 from Brian and last week got the casefeeder. Couldn't have set up the press without the practice from the 1000 but GD if it doesn't make the job easier. 1500 in a few hours (I go slow to triple check everything) instead of a month. If I was still shooting 400 a month, I would still be cranking away with the lee, great press for the price.

PS> if i were to reload anything on the 1k again i would try like hell to use dies from dillon or RCBS. The powder drop would probably stay but that is about it. Lee FCD is the only lee die that will every touch my 650.

Edited by wes777

Wes777:

Don't reject Lee dies.

1) The seating die produces very accurate ammunition and I am not sure why. The seating stem doesn't fit the bullets very well, but when I load a batch using a Lee seating die, a hornady seating die, a Dillon seating die, an RCBS seating die, and a Redding seating die, the Lee is always #1 or #2 for accuracy.

2) The PTE die in all the pistol calibers I have tried does an excellent job of expanding the case interior and is very convenient to use with a Lee powder measure for loading 10-20 individual rounds at various charges.

All my Dillon 1050s have at least two Lee dies on the tool head.

Noylj, your toolhead has more space than mine.... which is to say that your pocketbook is also kickin mine. I am willing to accept that my memory might be off, I do not recall the oal variance being that great.... however i am willing to try it out. That being said, i do not have the surplus monetary influence necessary to try all of the other brand dies. My redding comp seater makes me happy. Like I said, If i were to reload with Lee Pro 1k again, i would use the powder drop system. ( I think that we are in agreement on the PTE).

I would like to understand, on your 1050's you use a Lee seating Die?

Wes777:

I have not invested in any of the super "competition" micrometer seating dies, so I can not talk about them.

Re: Lee seating dies--

I had assumed, since the seating stems did not fit the bullets well, that the Lee dies would produce poorer ammunition.

Running off the same loads with different combinations of seating and crimp dies, I got the highest and most consistent accuracy with either Hornady or Lee seating dies and the Lee FCD crimp was always the same or better than the other taper or roll crimp dies.

However, the best roll crimp die was always the Redding Profile Crimp die.

With age, my hands have begun to shake when I try to do fine work, like place a bullet exactly straight on a case. For this reason, I am currently using Lee seating dies with the bullet feeder die. I place 5-6 bullets in the feeder die and hand cycle the bullet to be seated. Every cycle I drop another bullet in the feeder die.

I have considered the RCBS or Hornady bullet feeder dies, but that would take the place of the Lock-Out die.

The Hornady sizing die, with the TiN ceramic sizing ring, was the smoothest and easiest to size and sizes down lower than any of my other sizing dies. I would assume the Redding TiC would be similar.

noylj:

I tested the lee seating die (.45 acp). Oal variance was + or _ .005 to .006, I thought about what you said and decided it could be better. So I got out the plumbers silicon tape, loctite, and some duct tape, fixed her right up.... cant adjust it very easily but it is rock solid, + or - .004 ish.

Bullet seater: I dont have a special bullet seater, but they look very nice.

Hornady sizing die: will look into, probably for 9mm.

>>> will work on pictures. update to follow.

Edited by wes777

• 2 weeks later...

A person contacted me recently with a Pro 1000 issue. His press was seating primers sideways. He felt the primers were somehow rolling up on their side.

This is not possible, IF the press is set up correctly.

It took a while, over the phone, but eventually I convinced him the shell plate was probably arring at its station late. "Advance the shell plate with the screw in the underside of the carrier, until it snaps into position BEFORE the ram reaches the bottom of the press".

He called me back in less than an hour, and told me the press was seating every primer.

Contrary to what many people believe, and post of the www, the Lee Pro 1000 priming system works . . . and works well. No I do not work for Lee! :roflol:

Curious as to how other people remove primers from the system when cleaning it, clearing jams, loading primed cases, etc?

I used to push them and pluck them out one at a time but finally put a little bit of thought into it and came up with this...

Good stuff chibern, but the first video in the last post says it was removed. I may try that primer gate. The timer makes the cell-phone buzzer mod much more efficient, one less thing to forget to do.

fixed the link. Thanks PC!

Here it is again...