Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Guy new to S&W with Questions please.

Amanda4461

Hello folks,

I had a few minutes at work to look through this Forum for the first time, and of course now I have a few questions, so I'll ask for your kind help. I carry a Colt Python 4" when I don't have a 1911 handy, so S&W's are a little bit of an unknown, at least as far as mods are concerned. I do occasionally use a 66-2 for IDPA at local Fun matches. Anyway, to the questions, and thanks in advance for the transfer of knowledge :)

1. Can a Titanium cylinder that has been Moon-clip cut & chamfered, be installed on my 25-2 and 686 revolvers, so that I can easily swap it back to the standard cylinder at will? If so, where can I get said Ti cylinders and who is available to do the work in a reasonable amount of time, with quality results?

2. What is the best way to polish my Model 17-6 .22LR cylinder charge holes? They aren't as smooth as the ones on my Colt Officer's Model Match, and extraction gets difficult with extended use. I would prefer not to ream the charge holes, but just polish. They aint that bad, and the Colt was made right after WWII, so it is smoothly done.

3. I have read that shooting Major PF in a 686 with a Moonclipped cylinder is tough on the gun and the shooter. In what ways is it "tough"? I typically shoot 125gr Factory equivalent .357 mag loads in the Python. I assume that they are "Major" PF, but perhaps I would need a 158gr or heavier to meet major? Too new to this stuff to know. I assume that a Moonclipped cylinder allows brass to extrude into the cut groove. Other than that possibility, why is Major PF in a .357 mag considered "tough" when fired in a gun designed for the factory .357 Magnum round? I understand that firing several hundred rounds of Federal .38 Special Match Wadcutters is considerably easier on both gun and shooter than using factory magnum loads of any bullet weight. Just asking.

Thanks for your kind assistance, and for the interesting reading. Makes me want to find a local revolver match in the SE Texas area and go ahead and embarass myself.

Amanda4461

Edited by Amanda4461

Welcome to the forums! Well I am no expert, but I will still try pass on some knowledge.

1) Randy Lee at Apex Tactical seems to experiment with titanium cylinders quite a bit.

2) While I have never attempted to polish charge holes, there is a tool called a hone that looks like a bore brush, but is used with a drill to polish charge holes or chambers. Midway USA has some for sale.

3) Personally, I think magnum ammo has really sharp recoil, which becomes uncomfortable over time. Perhaps a heavier gun than my 2.5" model 19 would soak up recoil better. Several hundred rounds of .38 wadcutters should not wear out a revolver or a shooter.

The solution for making major in .357 and not making it with nasty, blasty, high-recoiling ammunition is heavier bullets.

Shooting 158s at 1100fps, what you would normally want, isn't much fun.

200gr bullets down at 850 are much more pleasant. It's a cinch making major, even in .38+P. I've done it in a four-inch Colt .38 Special with 200grainers and VV350. Unique will do it, too.

It's a nice push and no blast. Magnus makes 200s, but I've cast my own with a custom Lee six-banger off of Cast Boolits.com and they're excellent.

Speer used to make a terrific 200gr jacketed silhouette bullet that would be perfect for match use but it's not made anymore. The 180 they have might work but I haven't tried it.

Thanks guys!

While I normally load 125gr XTP's and push them above 1,000fps, I think the 200gr at 850 sounds like a more enjoyable experience. I have the Unique, so I'll get some cast 200 grainers and give them a go. Thanks for the directions......Amanda4461

If you need a cylinder hone, you can pick them up at most auto parts store's. There called a ball hone and come in sizes from 1/4"or smaller up to about 5". I'm sure they would be cheaper than any gun related product and I'm fairly sure there the same thing.

As for your titanium cylinders, I don't think your going to gain much by using them and you'll pay way to much for them. Have your stock cylinder cut for moon clips, get a good trigger job done and go shoot.

Welcome to the forums! Well I am no expert, but I will still try pass on some knowledge.

1) Randy Lee at Apex Tactical seems to experiment with titanium cylinders quite a bit.

2) While I have never attempted to polish charge holes, there is a tool called a hone that looks like a bore brush, but is used with a drill to polish charge holes or chambers. Midway USA has some for sale.

3) Personally, I think magnum ammo has really sharp recoil, which becomes uncomfortable over time. Perhaps a heavier gun than my 2.5" model 19 would soak up recoil better. Several hundred rounds of .38 wadcutters should not wear out a revolver or a shooter.