Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Division

hf219

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my thoughts after shooting the memphis charity match. It looked like well over half the competitors were over 50 years old and very few under 40. All in my squad were complaining about getting old and not seeing the sights, along with other aches and pains. After shooting that match I'd rather have an optic than an eight shot. Getting old sucks!

Usually, when I shoot revolver at a match everyone else is shooting bottom feeders. My post-match calculations involve figuring out how many of them I would have beaten had I been competing in their division.

At Memphis, where EVERYONE was shooting revolver, it came down to figuring out how many guys I beat who were (1) younger, (2) faster, (3) ranked higher, and (4) lighter :roflol: than me.

I came in 34th of 68, which was OK.

Then again, as Mike pointed out in another thread, nobody was luckier. :rolleyes:

Heck I think everybody on my squad at Memphis was under 50....except that crotchety old Steve Irish, I guess.... ;)

From there, we ranged down to 17 (my son Sam).

I have actually been thinking about how Revolver Division has felt younger over the past couple years. Our local club has several younger guys shooting the wheel. Nationally, we have Matt G. (30s) and Josh L. (20s) making a major impact on the game.

• 8 months later...

We had two new revolver shooters at North Mountain today, not so young, but not so old either. The important thing is they were not shooting revolvers at the last match and this match they were. They had fun and I expect to see them shooting revolver at future matches.

Westczek

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well after a year of allowing the 8 shot to compete with the 6 shot in USPSA at okc, I have come to the conclusion that having the 8 shot will not guarantee a win. Now if you had two competitors with equal abilities and drive the 8 shot should help if the one shooting the 8 shot can shoot only half the C's as the 6 shot in the same time on a 6 shot friendly course. In a 8 shot friendly course the 6 shot will have to work at closing the gap by better tactics, ie using long transitions to target arrays to do his reload even after firing 4 shots and so forth. Now will allowing the 8 shot to compete bring in more Revo shooters? Well it hasn't at this point. I've shot the 8 shot and cajoled an open shooter to dabble when I supplied the ammo and rig and 8 shot. He had fun, but the has fun shooting his division. The only thing it will allow is for a revo shooter who has an 8 shot a venue to play for more fun when they put in the 8 move 8 move stages. This comment has been voiced to me on several occasions at the larger matches I've attended. The more you work at your craft the better you can do. And if the 6 shooter works harder he will beat the 8 shooter who does not. I keep hearing Flexmoney's voice in my head, "It ain't the arrow, Dumb @$$, it's the Indian." Still true even when the odds are against you. Hopefully I put this in the correct spot if not. You got what you paid for.

Edited to add the scores from the match.

I shot the 8 shot and Rich beat me every stage except the classifier.

Overall - Revolver Division

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For Age Match Pts Match %

1 Miller, Richard U Revolver Major 878.6787 100.000%

2 Davis, Roger A12423 A Revolver Minor 797.8328 90.799%

3 Miller, Stan U Revolver Major SSr 649.6609 73.936%

4 Hearn, Scott A67455 D Revolver Minor 501.5687 57.082%

Edited by Bubber

Yesterday's match was an eye opener for me. I think I had more problems trying to figure out how to shoot the stages than I ever have. It was a technically tough match for a 6 shot revo shooter to game, the toughest I can remember. Stages seemed every bit as challenging as Area 4 last year, possible tougher, but maybe that was just me. A couple of stages there was NO apparent way to shoot them even close to being in something even resembling "a rhythm". But I did learn something. That is to just shoot the damn stage. If you have to reload with two rounds in the gun between arrays, so be it, just do it and get on with it. I know I lost points AND time getting "lost in the targets" a couple of times. Especially that last one, what an abortion that was! :wacko:

Javier, we missed you. Great weather and a great match. 91 Shooters in January! Hope you laid some revo smackdown on those right coasters. :devil:

I wish I could have been there. I shot a steel challenge match with my 625. That was different, but I don't know when I will be able to shoot, so I did not pass up the opportunity. I did manage to reload on the clock one time, and by the time I finished staring at the stop plate, cursed at it for moving and found a moon clip I managed about a five second reload. I hope to shoot with the folks at East Alabama next Sunday.

Well I just got back a bit ago from shooting the H&H match. I implemented my new "just shoot the damn stage" method of stage breakdown. Plus I slowed down and actually tried to hit something. Much improvement. For the first time ever I actually broke out the calculator and realized just how bad mikes hurt. I had two mikes on the whole match. If I could convert those mikes to charlies I would have jumped up 5 slots on the stage. Also had 4 procedurals on that same stage. We had to carry an ammo box by it's handle holding it below waist level while shooting the center array. Brain fart on my part, but I guess I'm just so zoned in to locking my weak hand into my chest when shooting one handed, I didn't have it below wast level. I totally didn't realize it while shooting. Shot 4, ran to a table, set box down, reloaded, picked box back up shot the last target in that array, set box back down and then shot the last array. It was NOT a revolver friendly stage! If you take the 4 procedurals out AND convert those 2 mikes to charlies it would have moved me from 41st (no I wasn't last) all the way up to 23rd! :surprise:

I also shot a 53% classifier. It was Can You Count :goof: Pure speed stage. All I need is to shave about 3 seconds off that time and it's a B class score. I dropped one charlie and it didn't matter a bit. :cheers:

We had 51 competitors, Here's my finish in the overall combined divisions.

Stage 1: 23rd

Stage 2: 33rd

Stage 3: 38th (classifier, 100 points possible, I shot 98, only a relatively few people went under 95. Considering this is all divisions I'm fairly happy with this. I was using speedloaders.)

Stage 4: 41st (60 penalty points here) :angry:

Tomorrow if I can figure out what the possible points were on the stages I'm going to crunch some numbers on how my minor gun would stack up against my major gun.

I think I'm gonna stick with this revo business for this year. I've set my goal for this year to get a B card in revo. I can do it, if I put in the work. 6 shot, 8 shot, I don't care, I'm just shooting the damn stage! :lol:

Edited by Shadowrider

*drift alert*

We had to carry an ammo box by it's handle holding it below waist level while shooting the center array. Brain fart on my part, but I guess I'm just so zoned in to locking my weak hand into my chest when shooting one handed, I didn't have it below wast level.

Below waist level..who comes up with that stuff?!!? angry.gif

They had an issue with that same thing at the Nationals one year. The wording was such that a buddy called me at home (I wasn't at the match)...I helped him word up his arbitration (which he won).

I wonder how it was written. What if you just left the box...would it have been just one Procedural...

I am OK with Procedures being written in, but they ought to be of the "carry the box" type. They shouldn't go into detail about how to carry the box while shooting. That certainly isn't freestyle. Freestyle would let us figure out the best way to shoot, while carrying the box. Kinda the point of the sport.

*drift/rant off*

*drift alert*

We had to carry an ammo box by it's handle holding it below waist level while shooting the center array. Brain fart on my part, but I guess I'm just so zoned in to locking my weak hand into my chest when shooting one handed, I didn't have it below wast level.

Below waist level..who comes up with that stuff?!!? angry.gif

They had an issue with that same thing at the Nationals one year. The wording was such that a buddy called me at home (I wasn't at the match)...I helped him word up his arbitration (which he won).

I wonder how it was written. What if you just left the box...would it have been just one Procedural...

I am OK with Procedures being written in, but they ought to be of the "carry the box" type. They shouldn't go into detail about how to carry the box while shooting. That certainly isn't freestyle. Freestyle would let us figure out the best way to shoot, while carrying the box. Kinda the point of the sport.

*drift/rant off*

I'm not sure how it came about, but I do believe it was written on the stage description. It was also stated during walk through. Just another instance of cranial-rectal inversion on my part, there are many instances of this. :lol: