Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aimpoint vs Eotech Reticule

Graham Smith

Setting aside all other differences, there is a big difference between an Aimpoint with a single dot (2 or 4 MOA) and an Eotech with the large 65 MOA circle surrounding a 1 MOA dot.

I've shot an Aimpoint Micro but have not shot an Eotech and I'd be interested in hearing from people who have shot both as to the difference between these two different approaches.

Again, I don't want to get into a discussion of features or price or durability or anything other than a comparison of the reticules. Thanks.

I prefer the Aimpoint reticle because the dot itself seems more vibrant and solid. The Eotech circle and dot seems more like a "dotted line" vs. a "solid line," if you know what I mean. It just doesn't seem continuous for some reason. I also did not find the 65 MOA circle particularly helpful in acquiring closeup targets, instead, it seems kind of cluttered to me and sometimes obstructive to what I want to see at a distance. I just need the one bright dot. If you want to shoot any targets beyond 100yards, I think you do need a 2moa instead of a 4moa dot though.

Well for one they are completely different technology, the Eotech holographic reticle is nice if your eyes like it, mine hate it. If I squint I'll get the desired circle and dot, but if I look at it normally the dot and circle pixelate and I see a mess of dots instead of a nice reticle. Even if I look "through" it and focus on a target it still looks a mess. I know I'm not the only person with this issue, I think it has to do with astigmatism and even though there are corrective lenses between me and it, that is no help. 

I'd say look through one first before you worry about the shooting benefits aspect, because if your eyes hate it it doesn't matter if little flying gnomes jump out of it and drag the bullet to the target. 

If you want to shoot any targets beyond 100yards, I think you do need a 2moa instead of a 4moa dot though.

Well, in a recent course I took, I was able to hit a 6" square steel at 175 yds with a 4 MOA dot so I'm not sure that's much of an issue for me. In fact, I think that one of the things that makes me lean a bit to the single Aimpoint dot is that my eyes just aren't that good and 1 MOA is pretty darn small.

If I may...

I use the EoTech. Once you get used to shooting with it, you never really see the 1MOA dot, you see the 65MOA circle. Basically, I frame the targets, put them inside the circle and shoot. On more precise shots, my eyes switch over to the dot and I use it.

The EoTech feels more like a heads up display, like a fighter pilot would have. I am really not aware of the fact that I have a sight in front of me, it feels as if the circle is on the targets.

I shoot with a C-more in Open Pistol and I wish I could get an EoTech light enough for the pistol.

Maybe my eyes got used to it, not sure. YMMV.

I am a bit off topic I guess, but I like the best of both worlds.. I use the EOTech with the dot reticle. I like it because I for whatever reason can't shoot an aimpoint (or any other tubular sight for that matter) with both eyes open and I always caught myself shooting low with the standard EOTech reticle. Just my opinion.

IME - Gating factor #1 is whether your eyes are compatible with one or the other. There are plenty of reports of reticles blurring out, or streaking, or doubling -- in particular with folks with astigmatism. For some this happens with Aimpoints and not Eotechs, or vice versa, or with both, or with certain models and not others!! Often it is exacerbated by the flip up magnifiers. So kinda random depending on each person's eyes, but this is step one and worth trying to get hands on a particular model you're interested in to confirm it will work well for your eyes.

Beyond that choosing between reticles is a lot of personal preference. I prefer Eotech reticles (single dot & circle), I think I am slightly faster with it than Aimpoints (I own two of each so have time behind the gun with each, and I do like them all). However, I prefer the finer 1 MOA dot in the Eotech for use at longer range (and in combination with a magnifier), and I like using the 65 MOA circle for close range hosing. An additional benefit of the 65 MOA circle is that it can also be used for quick, crude ranging (e.g. 65 MOA = 5'5" tall @ 100 yds).