Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

care for a little sand?

mildot1

Second stage at area 5.

Seated start, gun and mags on table. Had a pretty quick start had gun loaded and ready, grabbed one of the extra mags on my way to engage first array of targets.

Made a nice fumble trying to get the spare mag in pouch, shot all visable targets and scooped up the dropped mag on the run and stuffed it right into the pouch this time.

Kept going to the reload point and made the mag change successfully. Bang,rack the slide, Bang, rack the slide, gun locks up. Look inside, full of sand. You dumbass.

Should have went back to table and grabbed the other mag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big zero on that stage.

Lesson learned. Never Ever pick up mag off ground and try to use!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mildot

PS: Now carry small can of air in bag, hope I never need it.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen at an important match. His policy now for mags that have touched the ground is to completely disassemble, run the brush through, inspect, and reassemble. He does sometimes lose the plunger or spring in the process, so he keeps spare Dawson mag parts on hand.

He also does this at local matches.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen at an important match. His policy now for mags that have touched the ground is to completely disassemble, run the brush through, inspect, and reassemble. He does sometimes lose the plunger or spring in the process, so he keeps spare Dawson mag parts on hand.

+1

I must have worked on race cars too long. My plan would make my equipment run 100% no matter what the conditions.

Tom

1995 nationals, in Reno nevada....never in my life have i seen the number of jams in my life due tothe conditions(blowing winds in the afternoon stirring up this sand/grit that had a consistencey of talcum powder) yeah, drop anything, good luck on it working...the upside was that there was this run on hotel shower caps to cover the guns as they sat in holsters, dontthink you could have got a shower cap in the greater downtown reno area, they were all at the range hehehe

It the mag hits the ground it gets taken apart, a mag brush run through it and a quick wipe down of the spring/follower.

The can of air isn't bad, but if you use a can of polymer safe gun scrubber, it'll clean the mags as well as displace water at wet matches, so you can somewhat fight rust. R,

The range floor at the club I shoot at is pretty much beach sand. The only three malfunctions any of my Glocks have ever had came at the end of long days of digging mags out of the sand.

I RO there and have seen lots of stuff choke and bewildered faces adamant that the gun has always been reliable.

If you haven't met Mr. Murphy, sand will introduce you.

• 1 month later...