Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does it hurt an open gun to run factory ammo?

I bought a couple boxes of 38 Super (Major) from Atlanta Arms, would it hurt my open gun (SVI) to run it through it?

It shouldn't. If your gun is set up for Supercomp, it may not run, but it's not going to hurt anything. Last I knew they were loading the AA&A Super with 125gr Zero JHPs over IMR 7625. It ran perfectly in my Bedell, but had a bit more flip than I'd like. R,

I bought a couple boxes of 38 Super (Major) from Atlanta Arms, would it hurt my open gun (SVI) to run it through it?

Maybe, send me the ammo to see if it is acceptable :devil:

If it won't run factory ammo, send it back until it does as you never know when you might need to run factory lead.

If it won't run factory ammo, send it back until it does as you never know when you might need to run factory lead.

Ha! STI PLAINLY states that factory ammo will not work in their TruBor and Grandmaster, and it's true....Not hot enough.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Ha! STI PLAINLY states that factory ammo will not work in their TruBor and Grandmaster, and it's true....Not hot enough.

Atlanta Arms .38 Super Major isn't anything like the factory ammo that STI is referring to. It averaged 1394fps for 174PF in my Bedell shorty. R,

Atlanta Arms .38 Super Major isn't anything like the factory ammo that STI is referring to. It averaged 1394fps for 174PF in my Bedell shorty. R,

True, AAA is hot enough, but I believe theirs would be the only ones. I've tried Winchester, Remington, Magtech,

etc. None worked the gun like it should. The only one that even came close was the Magtechs 130+p. It would cycle sometimes....

Bart, I was referring to the above statement in bold....

Edited by GrumpyOne

we used to laugh back in the day when the PF was 175 and we were running at least 185 in our guns, and here is win. white box touting +P loads!!!! hehehe yeah right, and it wont cycle in my gun lest i change out the spring, then its basically not runningthe comp worth a lick