Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC scoring for Android

Kupsi

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man...this means I have to get a Droid now. I've been wanting one since they came out but don't want to pay the data fee. Oh well, when the X comes out looks like I'll be standing in line.

The X has been out. Unless you mean you're waiting for it to be off of backorder.

Are you already on Verizon? If not, you may want to look at other options as far as carriers.

Man...this means I have to get a Droid now. I've been wanting one since they came out but don't want to pay the data fee. Oh well, when the X comes out looks like I'll be standing in line.

I used it at BGSL Sunday. Very cool tool. I had some slow learner issues with it but got it rolling quickly.

I guess with the Ohio Classifier Calculator on the net, you could figure your classifier score too.

Dave

I was trying to set up a match for the a 3 gun match this weekend.

It will not let me set up a stage with more than 32 rounds. I don't see an override for it. I'm guessing it's only set up for pistol matches.

Any thoughts?

Dave

I've been told 32 rounds would be maximum? Not correct?

Hi Kupsi - welcome back!

The max round count in USPSA is 32, but there are exceptions made for local (Level 1) matches - which we all shoot a lot of. It is typical for my match to have at least one stage per month with 34, or even 36 rounds.

It would be great if the app could accommodate this as well.

Thanks,

Hi Kupsi - welcome back!

The max round count in USPSA is 32, but there are exceptions made for local (Level 1) matches - which we all shoot a lot of. It is typical for my match to have at least one stage per month with 34, or even 36 rounds.

Thank you :)

Would 36 rounds be max, or could it be even more?

PS: Uploaded a new version expiering 15. September. Havn't had time to make any other changes yet.

I have heard of clubs that will occasionally have a high round count match with stages with counts as high as 60. Even at the club I am a member of we once had a 54 round stage added to a classifier match.

Brian

Hi Kupsi - welcome back!

Would 36 rounds be max, or could it be even more?

Actually, I have participated in Level One matches that had way over 32 rounds in a stage or two :excl: However, I would have to look in the USPSA rule book to see if there is a "stage round limit" in Level One matches. But on the other hand, if there was a round limit - how could the rule be enforced?

This app is being designed as a handy dandy scoring program ... not necessarily as an "official" USPSA/IPSC scoring app. so anything goes here. In fact one could use this program for scoring Multigun or 3-gun as well as IPSC matches, so maybe you should try and increase the max round count. I would suggest you go up to 75, because I've seen some "Monster Matches" that claim to have upwards of 65 rounds in their matches. Even though not USPSA or IPSC legal, that doesn't preclude this app from having the ability to process more than 32 round stages.

I've been using your app for scoring quite a few local club matches, Kupsi, and I got to say this is a really really awesome application. But here in the States we commonly put the scoring box for STEEL targets at the bottom, underneath the paper targets. Also if there is any way to "hide" the box for STEEL if and when the stage does not actually have steel in it, that would be great! 1 last thing. If it's possible, and i know this may not be easy, if there's any way to provide the means to score a stage either the traditional way (with a row for each target) or in a condensed manner (with a row simply for TOTALS) where we could just enter the quantity of A's, B's, C's, D's and so on ...... I've been using this at local matches, and all I usually do is look over the shoulder of the guy holding the clipboard, and enter the time, then look to see how many C & D hits there were .... because obviously the rest of the hits are A's ..... then enter that in quick succession .... for example: 16 A's, 6 C's, 1 D. "Totals Only" scoring would make using it in, that manner alot easier. But you would have to leave in the option of doing it either way ..... perhaps a TOTALS row at the bottom, that automatically adds up the hits, and also provides the "option" to use that totals only row as a quick way to enter the scores.

Either way I think you've got a winner on your hands here Kupsi! :cheers:

This app is being designed as a handy dandy scoring program ... not necessarily as an "official" USPSA/IPSC scoring app. so anything goes here. In fact one could use this program for scoring Multigun or 3-gun as well as IPSC matches, so maybe you should try and increase the max round count. I would suggest you go up to 75, because I've seen some "Monster Matches" that claim to have upwards of 65 rounds in their matches. Even though not USPSA or IPSC legal, that doesn't preclude this app from having the ability to process more than 32 round stages.

I've been using your app for scoring quite a few local club matches, Kupsi, and I got to say this is a really really awesome application. But here in the States we commonly put the scoring box for STEEL targets at the bottom, underneath the paper targets. Also if there is any way to "hide" the box for STEEL if and when the stage does not actually have steel in it, that would be great! 1 last thing. If it's possible, and i know this may not be easy, if there's any way to provide the means to score a stage either the traditional way (with a row for each target) or in a condensed manner (with a row simply for TOTALS) where we could just enter the quantity of A's, B's, C's, D's and so on ...... I've been using this at local matches, and all I usually do is look over the shoulder of the guy holding the clipboard, and enter the time, then look to see how many C & D hits there were .... because obviously the rest of the hits are A's ..... then enter that in quick succession .... for example: 16 A's, 6 C's, 1 D. "Totals Only" scoring would make using it in, that manner alot easier. But you would have to leave in the option of doing it either way ..... perhaps a TOTALS row at the bottom, that automatically adds up the hits, and also provides the "option" to use that totals only row as a quick way to enter the scores.

Either way I think you've got a winner on your hands here Kupsi! :cheers:

+1 More good suggestions from Chris. (I personally like the steel targets box at the top, which is how I've always seen it at local matches, but either way would work... )

Kupsi,

The only other thing that I think has been left out so far is power factor - I didn't see a way to designate whether a competitor is shooting "Minor" or "Major"... did I just miss it? Is this something you're working on?

Edited by Xfactor

Kupsi,

The only other thing that I think has been left out so far is power factor - I didn't see a way to designate whether a competitor is shooting "Minor" or "Major"... did I just miss it? Is this something you're working on?

Major/minor is located in the register results portion.

Dave

Dave is correct, although it would be great if the program would default all competitors to Open Major. I usually forget to select the power factor and division, and subsequently get frustrated at myself when I try to enter scores for a stage and it tells me I have to correct that information first.

I loaded the software and built a test match with two competitors. After the results are entered and I look at match results it show zeros for Match total yet I can see the stage points/summary but not stage points. I can't figure out what I might have forgot to do. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kupsi,

I just noticed one other minor issue while setting up a match for this weekend.

It seems that there's a limitation for a minimum of 2 stages for a match... At my local club, we typically run a 5-6 stage pistol match, and afterward, a 1-stage rifle or shotgun match. Is there any way you could remove the restriction of the 2-stage minimum?

Thanks,

In fact one could use this program for scoring Multigun or 3-gun as well as IPSC matches, so maybe you should try and increase the max round count. I would suggest you go up to 75, because I've seen some "Monster Matches" that claim to have upwards of 65 rounds in their matches. Even though not USPSA or IPSC legal, that doesn't preclude this app from having the ability to process more than 32 round stages.

Is max 32 targets ok, as long as you can have multiple hits / target?

There's now problem for me to allow up to 8 hits / target and 32 targets. But if I need to increase number of maximum targets, I have a problem :)

Is there any way you could remove the restriction of the 2-stage minimum?

Of course. This is easy. I'll fix it.

Cool - thanks.

Is max 32 targets ok, as long as you can have multiple hits / target?

There's now problem for me to allow up to 8 hits / target and 32 targets. But if I need to increase number of maximum targets, I have a problem :)

A max of 32 targets shouldn't be a problem.

If it's possible, and i know this may not be easy, if there's any way to provide the means to score a stage either the traditional way (with a row for each target) or in a condensed manner (with a row simply for TOTALS) where we could just enter the quantity of A's, B's, C's, D's and so on ...... I've been using this at local matches, and all I usually do is look over the shoulder of the guy holding the clipboard, and enter the time, then look to see how many C & D hits there were .... because obviously the rest of the hits are A's ..... then enter that in quick succession .... for example: 16 A's, 6 C's, 1 D. "Totals Only" scoring would make using it in, that manner alot easier. But you would have to leave in the option of doing it either way ..... perhaps a TOTALS row at the bottom, that automatically adds up the hits, and also provides the "option" to use that totals only row as a quick way to enter the scores.

I'll add this to my todo-list...

Dave is correct, although it would be great if the program would default all competitors to Open Major. I usually forget to select the power factor and division, and subsequently get frustrated at myself when I try to enter scores for a stage and it tells me I have to correct that information first.

I'll add an option to do this.

If it's possible, and i know this may not be easy, if there's any way to provide the means to score a stage either the traditional way (with a row for each target) or in a condensed manner (with a row simply for TOTALS) where we could just enter the quantity of A's, B's, C's, D's and so on ...... I've been using this at local matches, and all I usually do is look over the shoulder of the guy holding the clipboard, and enter the time, then look to see how many C & D hits there were .... because obviously the rest of the hits are A's ..... then enter that in quick succession .... for example: 16 A's, 6 C's, 1 D. "Totals Only" scoring would make using it in, that manner alot easier. But you would have to leave in the option of doing it either way ..... perhaps a TOTALS row at the bottom, that automatically adds up the hits, and also provides the "option" to use that totals only row as a quick way to enter the scores.

I'll add this to my todo-list...

Agreed - this would make a HUGE difference in speeding up score entry. Maybe it could be an optional choice between "Stand-Alone" scoring and "Summary" scoring... :cheers: