Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC scoring for Android

Kupsi

Thanks! This is such a great program, I really really like it. :)

I used it yesterday at a local club match, calculating eight (8) different stages, between 4 of us on our squad, and I knew who had won by the time the last shot was fired. Now that's "Fast Scoring".

A little background info, I am the stats guy (guru, officer, resident expert) for 3 local clubs here in S.W. Ohio, and I gotta say this app could be the wave of the future. It is so very easy to use on the fly, and simple to operate (even in direct sunlight). I could see this becoming an official scoring system some day.

What makes this so easy to use is you merely "tap" the boxes you want recorded (scored) and scroll down. It even has error checking features built in. I wish I could get a screen shot of the scoring screens, because you would easily understand this if you could see it. Maybe Kupsi can get some screen-shots up here soon.

Also if you could find some sort of Bluetooth flie transfer that could help integrate this with a PC based computer to do the scores for the whole match, that would be sweet. This is very handy to have. :cheers:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of things I found while playing with the new version ......

1. First off I like the changes alot. It's nice to be able to score only 1 hit on a target when needed. The club match I used this at yesterday had 3 small 8 rd. stages (4 paper/4 steel) with cardboard targets only requiring 1 hit per target. Very IPSC like stages if you ask me. So that new feature is awesome. Thanks

2. I found the new drop-down menu to switch between Comstock & Virginia Count a welcome addition. But even after I made one of my stages a Virginia Count stage I still did not see anything about XS & XH on the scoring screen of that stage. Did I miss something?

3. Can you make a stage that does not include steel targets, NOT display the scoring row for hits/misses on steel, when it's clearly not needed? It already does not allow any hits/misses to be entered. Why not just hide it altogether?

4. When steel IS INCLUDED on a stage, can you put the scoring row for hits/misses on steel AT THE BOTTOM of the paper targets instead of at the top? I don't know how IPSC lays out their score-sheets, but here in the States we almost always put the box for scoring hits/misses on steel at the bottom of the paper targets on our score sheets.

5. While I like the separation between every 3 targets to display the titles/headers of the hits/misses/NS/PROC columns, but it does require quite a bit of scrolling to get to the bottom of the screen when the stage has a high number of targets (like 16 paper) and 1 of the hardest things to do (though no fault of yours Kupsi) is scroll up or down on a "touch sensitive" screen without accidentally registering hits/misses. Also here in the states we see alot of 4 target arrays (4 papers to the left/4 in the middle/4 on the right side) so I wonder if it would help to change it from a 3 target separation to a 4 target separation? Or maybe more? I just wouldn't want to see it get too big for phones with smaller screens.

Edited by Chris Keen

2. I found the new drop-down menu to switch between Comstock & Virginia Count a welcome addition. But even after I made one of my stages a Virginia Count stage I still did not see anything about XS & XH on the scoring screen of that stage. Did I miss something?

Could you have forgotten to press the "Save / Next stage" button after changing scoring method? The penalty buttons should be right under the time field.

3. Can you make a stage that does not include steel targets, NOT display the scoring row for hits/misses on steel, when it's clearly not needed? It already does not allow any hits/misses to be entered. Why not just hide it altogether?

This can be done, but it will take me some hours. Therefore I haven't done anything with this yet. I'm going on vacation on wednesday :)

4. When steel IS INCLUDED on a stage, can you put the scoring row for hits/misses on steel AT THE BOTTOM of the paper targets instead of at the top? I don't know how IPSC lays out their score-sheets, but here in the States we almost always put the box for scoring hits/misses on steel at the bottom of the paper targets on our score sheets.

This can be done when fixing number 3.

5. While I like the separation between every 3 targets to display the titles/headers of the hits/misses/NS/PROC columns, but it does require quite a bit of scrolling to get to the bottom of the screen when the stage has a high number of targets (like 16 paper) and 1 of the hardest things to do (though no fault of yours Kupsi) is scroll up or down on a "touch sensitive" screen without accidentally registering hits/misses. Also here in the states we see alot of 4 target arrays (4 papers to the left/4 in the middle/4 on the right side) so I wonder if it would help to change it from a 3 target separation to a 4 target separation? Or maybe more? I just wouldn't want to see it get too big for phones with smaller screens.

Could also be done when fixing number 3.

I've uploaded version 1.6.2. I found a minor error for people having "," as their decimal marker, and the extra shot and extra hit buttons was to big when I saw them on a real device.

Maybe Kupsi can get some screen-shots up here soon.

Here are som old screen dumps:

http://www.psmsapp.com/screendumps

Also if you could find some sort of Bluetooth flie transfer that could help integrate this with a PC based computer to do the scores for the whole match, that would be sweet. This is very handy to have. :cheers:

I have some thoughts on making the app syncing with a computer. But now it's vacation :) :) Edited by Kupsi

This is the screen that does the bulk of the work for this app. Here is where you choose the shooter, choose the stage, and enter hits/misses for the stage your scoring. Hits are recorded by simply tapping the box you want to put hits or misses into. So easy a Caveman could do it! :devil:

register_results.png

I have some thoughts on making the app syncing with a computer. But now it's vacation :) :)

Great! Enjoy your vacation. In the mean time I'll keep testing it out. Thanks again! :)

Edited by Chris Keen

I was all set on selling my Nexus One to buy the new iPhone. This app alone has made me decide to stick with Android. It is seriously awesome and it's still only in its infancy. I can't even imagine how good it's going to get.

Kupsi, if you decide to make this a paid app, I will buy it, without a doubt. (But I like the fact that it's free!)

• 2 weeks later...

What type of report does it produce?

For classifiers do you still input to ezwin?

Found the link to download, however the link is broken--looked thru the android store I'm not able to find it.

Can you tell what category it is filed in?

Edited by schroed

This will be a great app for whenever someone comes out with an "iPad size" Android device. With the right amount of work, I could see this being a great alternative to the Palm scoring.

I wanted to do this a long time ago but I don't know jack about programming unless its PHP :)

$35 touch screen computer...so a non-Palm solution isn't too far off into our future! :)

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/201769/indias_35_pc_is_the_future_of_computing.html?tk=hp_new

Outstanding! I just started using it. I can't wait for the email feature so I can use it for our local matches where we only have one squad. Thanks for putting this out.

I am not computer savvy but this app appears simple and easy to use. I downloaded it on to my HTC Hero this morning.

Thanks to Kupsi for all the hard work!

Dave

Edited by Airedale

I was trying to set up a match for the a 3 gun match this weekend.

It will not let me set up a stage with more than 32 rounds. I don't see an override for it. I'm guessing it's only set up for pistol matches.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Very cool! Thanks!

An idea, add an integrated timer such that when you hit the time box a timer screen pops up. Then when the shooter finishes, the SO hits a "score button" and you go to the score sheet with the time filled in.

The "scorer" then goes forward and calls out the score with the shooter as witness.

Back from vacation :)

The program says it expires on August 15 2010. Will you have a new version by then or will it become a Pay APP?

When it expires will it just be dead?

The app will not be dead, but you must upgrade to a new version to use it. I think the new version will be pulished within a week.

As I've said before, I'm hoping to get a little back for the hours spent on this. So I've decided to let the app be free but display ads, and have an option where users can pay a reasonable amount to get rid of the ads.

Edited by Kupsi

It will not let me set up a stage with more than 32 rounds. I don't see an override for it. I'm guessing it's only set up for pistol matches.

Any thoughts?

Dave

I've been told 32 rounds would be maximum? Not correct?

Any thoughts?

Dave

I've been told 32 rounds would be maximum? Not correct?

You are correct. I was looking at a 3 gun (rifle/pistol/shotgun)match and the stages were higher round count.

This is set up for pistol only and it is a great app.

Thank you for your hard work!

Dave

Gotta say this is an outstanding app! I'm a complete newb on smartphones, but even I can use it.

Kupsi I think you are really onto something here and you've done a hell of a job. Keep up the development on this! I'd venture a guess that when it's fully USPSA functional, about 99% of the shooters in the U.S will buy it, as long as you cover that "other" platform too. It will sell, I promise.

Oh and BTW, it looks most awesome on my Samsung Captivate. :D

I just thought of something that I don't think has been covered. When scoring a stage is it possible to only have the "numbers" showing on the keyboard area? I think all you need on the score sheet page are the numbers to input the time? On my Nexus One the keyboard area is half the screen on the score sheet page. Thanks.