Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M & P Pro 9 shooting low

Gary H.

I have been touching base with this thread off and on so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

A suggestion before spending money on new sights.

Try it out with a blackened fiber and see where your POA is.

Get some sight black and spray the front sight. If this solves your problem then maybe it is the large fiber and a smaller one will solve that.

If it still shoots high then it is not optical, it is mechanical.

The sight black can be cleaned off no problem but it may make your fiber dimmer. Just knstall a new fiber to go back to the way it was.

I have permanently darkened my rear dawson fibers on another pistol because I didn't like them and I didn't see a need to spend money for a new rear blade.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 1200 rounds through mine now. Still using the stock sights. As long as I cut the dot in half with the rear sight ie: -0- at 15 yards and WWB 115, it hits right where it should. Its not a newbie thing. I shot a sanctioned IDPA match with over 100 shooters a few weeks back and finished in the top 15% in accuracy with my 1911.

That's how mine shoots as well with 115gr WWB.

With 124gr/147gr rounds on the other hand, I just shoot the green dot. At 25 yards they shoot top of front sight, 147gr an inch or two higher than 124gr.

124gr seems to be the sweet spot for my gun.

On the advice (insistence actually :) )of a friend, and former smith, I called S&W right before I ordered the Dawsons and they said that they really wanted me to send it into them especially after I told them I shot some NATO 124gr at 15yards that shot 3" low. I told him I had shot Federal and WWB 115, 124, and 147gr and they all shot low. I also had several other shooters shoot it (3 of them shoot M&P's) and their shots duplicated mine so it is not just me.

The S&W rep told me:

"M&P pro's are sighted in POA/POI with 124gr bullets at 25 yards from the factory. 115's should shoot a little low at 25 yards and 147's should shoot a little high at 25 yards."

I just received my call tag from S&W in the mail yesterday so I am going to give them the chance to look it over and see if it is just a wrong sight or if there is an issue with the gun that is causing it to shoot low. It is frustrating to have to send in a new gun but, since it is free warranty work I am going to give them a chance to fix it before I spend $$ on it for an adjustable rear sight and narrower front blade.

Good luck with that Classic_jon. Went through the same thing but most of mine was email. The below is copied from my email with Steve Roach.

On 7/21/2010 10:38 AM, Roach, Steve wrote:

> Hello Gary,

>

> We target our guns at 25 yards. You can try a hotter ammo. That

> should bring the point of impact up some. We use 115gr here at the

> factory. If this does not work out we may need to get the gun in here

> for inspection.

As you can see, he informed me that they used the 115g at the factory. I can't believe that S & W is getting contacted by this many people and they don't have an answer. They are going throough the expense of doing the warranty work (Replacing barrell in my case) but not fixing the issue. They did suggest that I use 124g ammo but I can't find it reasonably priced at any of my area vendors.

• 1 month later...

My M&P Pro just came back from S&W and I was able to pick it up Saturday. They did change out the front sight for one that was slightly lower so I think that they were able to duplicate the issue I was having. They also included the original sight in the box as well as a free mag so, I am not going to complain a whole lot :)

Something that I think helped them to duplicate the issue was that I sent in a very detailed listing of the brand of commercial ammo I shot, the weight of the bullet, and the point of impact on the target for each.

I have not been able to make it out to the range to test the POA/POI but I will keep you posted as to the results. I hope this fixes it! :-D

• 5 weeks later...

I went to the indoor Range with My M&P after getting it back from S&W and then I shot an indoor match with it and some 124 gr Federal NATO ammo and it seems to shoot correctly with the new front sight at 10 yards. The new sight blade is slightly thinner and about 2mm lower with a slight stairstep pattern in it. I was going to do some testing outdoors this weekend but the weather did not cooperate and decided to drop some freezing rain. :)

Since I was looking at replacing the factory sights with a Dawson before I sent it in, it really looks like they put a lower Dawson red fiber optic on it because it looks like this one. http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=6F40000-1162601643

I can not complain too much if this really does fix the problem for "free". I am going to do some more testing outdoors (weather permitting) at 25 and 35 yards this weekend and confirm with both the 124's and 147's and will post an update then.

Just got my MP pro 9 back from SW and it only took 3 weeks! They didn't do anything with the sights :unsure: but I did get a new barrel :surprise: . My old barrel had some flakes on the rifleing that the brush or cleaner couldn't break loose! I can't wait to get out and see if it has corrected the low shooting gun I had. I ll let you know in the next couple of days after I get back from the club.

• 5 months later...

Add me to the list of new M&P 9 Pro owners that shoots low with this gun. Figured out on my own to split the F/O -O- to hit where I want but what a hassle. Benched it yesterday and discovered 124 gr. performs better over the 115 gr. I'd been using so plan to stick with heavier ammo. Based on the formula at Dawson Precision's site I hope to just leave the rear site and replace the stock .180 with the DP .160 to fix the problem.

Edited by 9c4me

I have a 9l and it shoots 3 to 11 inches low stringing the shots with MTG 124 jhp. Shoots the win. 115 target loads about the same. Called S&W and they issued a return tag and told me to send targets along with it. I gave it to another M class shooter to try and he got the same results. It's shooting this way from a sandbag rest ( hand not gun ) and an apex trigger comp. trigger at 3 lbs. and crisp.

Edited by open67