Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M & P Pro 9 shooting low

Gary H.

Well I had this same issue with my M&P 9. Bought it, put 500 rounds or so through it and it was hitting low with all ammo I tried (115's to 147's)(new & reloaded). Sent it to S&W and they had it for 4 weeks. Got it back, took it out and I still have the same issue. My M&P 40 is dead nuts where ever I point it. S&W said they put a new barrel in my 9 and adjusted the trigger. The trigger is actually worse IMO than it was before I sent it to them. Debating on what to do with it at this point. I shot it today and was just disgusted with it. I can contact S&W again, but they didn't fix it the first time, so why send it back again. I think that this was more than just a bad run of pistols because I have read about this problem on several other boards. It seems to be just with the 9mm also. I haven't read anything about the 40's or compacts having this problem unless I missed it.

Adam, what sights are on your 40? Maybe the problem is just with the F/O sights and S/W's decision on how to use them? I have the F/O sight on my STI Sentry and it shoots dead nuts at the top edge of the front blade.

Edited by Gary H.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I had this same issue with my M&P 9. Bought it, put 500 rounds or so through it and it was hitting low with all ammo I tried (115's to 147's)(new & reloaded). Sent it to S&W and they had it for 4 weeks. Got it back, took it out and I still have the same issue. My M&P 40 is dead nuts where ever I point it. S&W said they put a new barrel in my 9 and adjusted the trigger. The trigger is actually worse IMO than it was before I sent it to them. Debating on what to do with it at this point. I shot it today and was just disgusted with it. I can contact S&W again, but they didn't fix it the first time, so why send it back again. I think that this was more than just a bad run of pistols because I have read about this problem on several other boards. It seems to be just with the 9mm also. I haven't read anything about the 40's or compacts having this problem unless I missed it.

Adam, what sights are on your 40? Maybe the problem is just with the F/O sights and S/W's decision on how to use them? I have the F/O sight on my STI Sentry and it shoots dead nuts at the top edge of the front blade.

I have novak tritium night sights on it. S&W sent mine back to me a couple weeks ago. I got a phone call from them prior to getting it that the gun is fine and that the bullet impacts just above the front sight at 25 yards with a 6 o'clock hold. They suggested I don't stand so close to my targets...I politely told them that not every target is 25 yards away. Not sure what I'll do with it. I like the gun, but hate to drop more money into an adjustable sight to get things where I want them. I gots a new baby due next month and really can't afford any new accessories at the moment.

I got my M&P Pro in Feb of this year.

It shot low then but it I did not have much time to work with it.

I finally took it out in May or June and sure enough it shot 6" low at 25 yards 4" low at 15.

Called Smith they sent me a label and I sent it back.

They replaced the barrel and it still shot low.

Accurate but low.

I think I figured out my problem last night, I was holding the fiber optic where I usually do on my revolvers which was right at the bottom of the rear sight. If I ingore the F/O and use the corners of the sight at the top of the rear sight it is dead on.

I am going to work on this a bit then if this proves out over a few hundred rounds i will replace the front sight

I think I figured out my problem last night, I was holding the fiber optic where I usually do on my revolvers which was right at the bottom of the rear sight. If I ingore the F/O and use the corners of the sight at the top of the rear sight it is dead on.

I am going to work on this a bit then if this proves out over a few hundred rounds i will replace the front sight

Thats not my problem. I sight with the top of the front blade even with the top of the rear sight. The F/O in my opinion should just be something to enhance the visibility of the front sight. My gun impacts right where the front F/O is if you have the F/O is being split in half by the rear sight. It's shootable but I would like to be able to go between it and my STI Sentry without having to change my sight picture. I think S&W needs to find another person to shoot these things! Maybe it is time to go Glock. (Ewwwww, that made me feel dirty!)

Edited by Gary H.

It appears from all the postings and different vendors websites that the M&P9L/Pro comes equipped with a .180 tall front sight and the M&P9 a .160 tall front sight. My M&P9L doesn't shoot as low as some others in this thread, but I would like to have POI 1-2in above POA at 10-15yds. I fortunately prefer plain black instead of fiber optic so I think I'm going to give a .170 tall front sight a try and see if that gives me the POA and POI I prefer.

I thought I'd give an update on my experiment. First, my gunsmith had a dilly of a time removing the factory installed sight. I had the Dawson 0.170 front sight installed and it has moved the POI up a little relative to the POA (~0.5in at 10 yds). I have not had a chance to shoot it from the bench at 25 or 50 yds yet to see how it is shooting at those distances. I'll have the opportunity to do some match testing this weeekend, but in practice I was much happier with my groups being higher on the target. I may end filing the sight down a little to move POI up farther. Dawson does make a 0.160, but I was afraid that may be shooting way too high at 25 and 50 yds.

Also for reference I'm shooting factory loaded Amercan Eagle 124gr.

I bought a 9 pro yesterday. Yesterday at 7 yards it is 3-4 inches low, but i was shooting it like target sights, 6 o'clock hold. Today shooting it using the F/O like a red dot at 15 yards it was 1-1/2" to 2" low left using the red dot technic. I shoot low left due to bad technic. I still think it is shooting low nice group but low. I only have 200 rounds thru it using 115 FMJ WWB with the small grip.

I like the gun. I missed all of these threads about shooting low. I had so many shooters telling me to get this gun for 3 gun. I am disappointed with this issue. Worst case, i will try different sights, .170 blade then move on from there. To bad to. I really like the way this gun shoots. But it is frustrating to buy a new gun and have to spend more money to get it to hit like it should.

I have a 3 gun this saturday. Between practice this week and the match, i should be able to determine if it is the gun or me. I don't have nearly enough rounds thru it to determine what to do. I need to try shooting it off a rest, at longer yardage and different ammo.

Regardless, i prefer 6 o'clock hold. If the sights are set up to shoot red dot style, i will have to change it.

Will i need a smith to install the front sight?

Edited by gotigers

Will i need a smith to install the front sight?

I'm a DIY type and have previously done my own sight installation for my Glock and Sig. I couldn't budge the FS with the biggest hammer I had, and my gunsmith BARELY got it out. I'd error on the side of caution and get a gunsmith to do the installation.

gotigers.......Roll Tide and uh, back on topic.

My M&P 9 Pro was shooting 5-6" low @ 10yds shooting 124 gr MG HP using Option 2. After changing to a Dawson .170" front sight, the gun shoots about 1.5-2" higher.

I have since started shooting some 147gr Precision bullets which move the POI up about another 2".

Just for play, I like to shoot at the 14" or so plate at 110yds at my home range. Option 3 for the front/rear sight relationship and Option 1 for the front sight/target relationship will net a satisfying ding 2 out of 5 shots if I do my part.

All this considered, I may order a .160 front sight later this year to get POI up to where using Option 1 is an option with the light bullets. I think it'll work :blush:

GoTigers, Option 1 is the way I was taught to shoot and the way I use my STI Sentry with bullet impact at the bottom of the red ring. With my M&P Pro 9, I have to use option 3 to get POI behind the HiVis front sight in the middle of the red.

Yup ... my Pro shoots low as well. I can compensate for it if I am really conscious of it ... but being fairly experienced with other pistols (mostly with adjustable sights), I want the gun to shoot where I am comfortable. Honestly, it is somewhat comforting to see others having the same issue. I love the gun and will add the Dawson adjustable sights in the near future. I have them on my G24 and G17L and love them. I figure with the Apex internals and the Dawson sights it will be about perfect! I switch between a bunch of guns so the adjustable sights are the right solution for me.

Mike

Bingo...

1) Fix the barrel dip with the "longer trigger". Dry fire, dry fire dry fire.

2) At 7-10 yards, the M&P will hit POI "behind the fiber" using the fiber like a red-dot. At 25 yards, the bullet it still rising and will impact at the top edge of the front sight, or an inch above. At 50yds, my 147 r reloads impact agin just below the top edge.

You have to blot out the POI with the dot at close range. NOT "pumpkin on the fence-post" of a bullseye gun.

MOST new shooters anticipate recoil, flinch, and hit low. Bench-rest the gun at 7-10 yards, and be as mechanical as you can, DEEP in a sandbag. I bet you'll hit right behind the fiber...

Jeff

This exactly how mine shoots with 147gr hard casts at 130PF. Dead on at 7, pretty much dead on at 50 and high on everything in between.

And I use the fiber, I never see the top of the front sight when shooting, that fiber just kind of jumps into my brain. :blink:

I'm hitting the steels much better since I figured this out.

Edited by Shadowrider

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, just picked up an M&P pro two days ago and took it out at lunch. With WWB I shot about 3in low at 7 yards lining top of front sight up with top of rear. At 15 yards it was about 6in low.

Gonna take it home, clean it well, lube it, do some light polish on the internals. Then take it out this weekend to see if it shoots differently with other ammo, and with someone else holding the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

In reading this thread there really seems to only be one option to "solve the problem" and that is to put different sights on the gun. It seems like everyone that has sent their gun into S&W has gotten back a more accurate gun but one that still shoots "accurately and consistently low."

I have been experimenting with my new M&P pro and no matter who shoots it at 15 yards it shoots low by at least 3". All of the shots are consistently in a 2" to 3" group, just low.

This is true no matter what Bullet weight and/or powder load I use. I used Factory Federal (115 and 124gr), WWB (124gr), and some NATO 124's and all were consistently in the 3" low area. The Federal 115 were actually lower in the 5" area. I shot a friends 147 gr lead loads and they were only about 2" low but still low. I also made up some 124 plated and 147 plated loads with N320 and WSF and had the same results.

Just to remove me from the equation I had a couple other shooters that shoot M&P's shoot it and they then used my ammo in their M&P and what was shooting low in my gun was POA/POI in theirs.

I *really* like the gun but I honestly don't want to send it in if S&W is just going to send me back a gun that still shoots accurate, but low. <_<

Give me your opinion:

Should I send it in to S&W if it shoots Accurately but about 3" low or just bite the bullet and buy some Dawson adjustable's and go on?

In reading this thread there really seems to only be one option to "solve the problem" and that is to put different sights on the gun. It seems like everyone that has sent their gun into S&W has gotten back a more accurate gun but one that still shoots "accurately and consistently low."

I have been experimenting with my new M&P pro and no matter who shoots it at 15 yards it shoots low by at least 3". All of the shots are consistently in a 2" to 3" group, just low.

This is true no matter what Bullet weight and/or powder load I use. I used Factory Federal (115 and 124gr), WWB (124gr), and some NATO 124's and all were consistently in the 3" low area. The Federal 115 were actually lower in the 5" area. I shot a friends 147 gr lead loads and they were only about 2" low but still low. I also made up some 124 plated and 147 plated loads with N320 and WSF and had the same results.

Just to remove me from the equation I had a couple other shooters that shoot M&P's shoot it and they then used my ammo in their M&P and what was shooting low in my gun was POA/POI in theirs.

I *really* like the gun but I honestly don't want to send it in if S&W is just going to send me back a gun that still shoots accurate, but low. <_<

Give me your opinion:

Should I send it in to S&W if it shoots Accurately but about 3" low or just bite the bullet and buy some Dawson adjustable's and go on?

Fix the sights. I was worried at first, but find I shoot MUCH better with the narrower Dawson front sight

I went to a Dawson 0.170 plain black about a month ago and have been EXTREMELY pleased with the results. POI is still a little below POA @10yds in, but quite managable. One note if you do decide to swap out the sights; some of the front sights are in there REALLy tight and nearly take a press to knock them out. Whomever does the work might be ahead to just cut the FS out if it doesn't budge easily. :cheers:

I did not care for the huge fiber optic blob that the (.180, I think)stock sight came with. Fiting a .160 fiber optic with a .40 diameter fiber optic solved the POA/POI problem for me.

Edited by hanexp

I am new here and find this thread interesting. I just bought a M&P ProL but have not had the chance to shoot it. Now I am wondering about my purchase. I love how the gun feels...bought a 9c a week before and shoot it in IDPA. They both point perfectly for me unlike the Glock.

If this is a problem, and would would appear to be, why doesn't S&W do something about it?

Peace