Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Speed shoot" format and equipment info wanted

I am looking for information about a steel speed shoot format that I want to try and get off the ground in South Africa.

I think the match is called a Speed Shooting Challenge or something (it is not the same as the Steel Challenge). As far as I know the match is (was?) usually hosted at the San Juan Range, but I cannot seem to find any updated information on the event.

The format is a man vs man type event where competitors advance through each stage until a winner is identified for each category at the end of the match.

What I am looking for is the following:

Rules for hosting and scoring each stage as well as the event.

Software or hard copy systems that help with the running and scoring of each stage as well as the match.

Detailed diagrams/photos/descriptions on how to build the plate racks/targets and resetting systems.

Any other information that will be usefull when organising/hostingsuch such an event.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, does this event still take place or not?

the match your thinking of was called the American Handgunner. the owner of the range decided to stop hosting the match a few years ago and that is why you cant find any updated info on it. the match consisted of 15 steel stages roughly 7 plate rack stages and 8 field steel stages. there where 4 divisions iron sights, open, revolver, and cowboy action. in the match you would only compete against people in your division and your class. for each stage it would be a tournament style setup with best two out of three would win that round until someone wins the stage. the stages would consist of 6 steel targets and one stop plate. first person to hit the stop plate with all their steel down wins the round.

if i think of anything else i'll post more

try calling the owner of san juan range

a major match sponser was American Handgunner magazine. you can try giving them a call

I am looking for information about a steel speed shoot format that I want to try and get off the ground in South Africa.

I think the match is called a Speed Shooting Challenge or something (it is not the same as the Steel Challenge). As far as I know the match is (was?) usually hosted at the San Juan Range, but I cannot seem to find any updated information on the event.

The format is a man vs man type event where competitors advance through each stage until a winner is identified for each category at the end of the match.

What I am looking for is the following:

Rules for hosting and scoring each stage as well as the event.

Software or hard copy systems that help with the running and scoring of each stage as well as the match.

Detailed diagrams/photos/descriptions on how to build the plate racks/targets and resetting systems.

Any other information that will be usefull when organising/hostingsuch such an event.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, does this event still take place or not?

Was it the "American Handgunner" in Montrose Colorado ??

here's a link to an old web page, http://www.sanjuanrange.com/ahwsc.htm

looks like the San Jaun Shooting Range web site has been reduced to a couple pages.

And sadly the "Handgunner" is no more, the next best thing is the "Big Dawg" in Iowa

Yip, it was the American Handgunner World Shootoff.

I look forward to more information ...

I will also see if the Walls of Steel link doesn't yield more useable information.

8 field steel stages

What did these field stages consist of? Normal IPSC type stages?