Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Holsters?

shooter995

Limcat, Ghost, CRSpeed, DAA, Gugas, Safariland.

These are the big ones. You will, for certain, find a substantial amount of opinions about each. Pick one, learn to run it, and move on.

Edited by Seth

Take the time to talk with other shooters in your area that shoot Open or Limited as both divisions can use the holsters that Seth mentioned. Ask for their honest opinion. No matter which one you pick take the time to learn about it so you don't have any surprises.

CYa,

Pat

best part of of this sport is that if you ask nicely, you get to play with the other people's toy's and equipment BEFORE you go an plunk out serious amounts of money for somthing you may or may not have wanted....ASK QUESTIONS like was said earlier, you will get pretty much the whole gamut on pro's and con's of just about everything out there

just in case anyone is counting??? I run a limcat for both limited and open

I have tried 3 Bikini holsters the CR Speed, Ghost, and the LimCat. I'm using the Ghost, sold 2 CR Speeds, and the LimCat is my backup.

You will hear that guns fall out of Ghost Holsters, yes, if the idiot don't lock it that is true, if its locked its not coming out. You can adjust the release for those sitting stages so that you hit it with the second finger on the draw. I do this if I have to do a 50 yard sprint in a COF before the draw as well. I have had mags fall of the belt but not the gun. The LimCat is also absolute secure when locked. The problem with the LimCat is getting it on the CR Speed or AA belt, you have to tie one end to a tree and then hook the other to a 4 wheel drive diesel tractor. I only use the Limcat on my SafariLand leather belt.

CR speed works well after you spend lots of time adjusting it, I got one when I was shooting a CZ then switched out the block for S_I when I moved to S_I. I had my gun knocked out a couple times by other shooters while tapeing targets. When I went to open, I just never got the thing adjusted correctly while I spent a lot of time working on it. I had to quit a stage once because I couldn't draw the gun, had to go to the safe table and work on it to get it out, adjusted wrong. No adjustment on the Ghost or LimCat and the neat thing is I can throw my Open Gun either FS or Short, my Limited Gun (Edge) or my single stack in the holster with no adjustment and it works perfect with each.

Note that a Ghost will shut down in blowing sand, I had that happen once, right after I switched to my backup gun when the primary shut down from sand. So get a cover for the gun and holster if you got blowing sand.

I have not tried the SafariLand holster some folks like it, but with the way I swap guns around I perfer not to adjust a holster.

I have tried each of those except the current, non-pinned Limcat. I'm using the DAA RaceMaster... See my initial review here: http://drperformanceshooting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137:the-daa-race-master-holster&catid=56:equipment&Itemid=175 - an updated review is coming shortly...

Several folks have good luck w/ the Ribas, but their quality control seems to be pretty spotty. If you don't want the risk of having to do some tinkering on the holster to make it work right, that one may not be for you.

• 3 weeks later...

best part of of this sport is that if you ask nicely, you get to play with the other people's toy's and equipment BEFORE you go an plunk out serious amounts of money for somthing you may or may not have wanted....ASK QUESTIONS like was said earlier, you will get pretty much the whole gamut on pro's and con's of just about everything out there

You got that right!! The guys in this sport tend to help one another out and let others try their gear out. I started with loaner leather gear and shooting a single stack Open gun in .45 and once I had a chance to try other stuff I upgraded to an STI as soon as I could swing it. Whenever I get a chance I let the new guys try the gun and gear out if they are interested in Open at all.

Joe W.

I use a Guga, which would be hard to find right now. I'm leaning toward purchasing a DAA as a backup. Everyone likes somehing different. Being intimately familiar with your holster is probably as impotant as the holster itself.

Started with a GHOST , love it, See no reason to change.

I can switch between my open and limited guns with no adjusting.

I do clean the locking ball system occasionally to prevent it getting "sticky".

Follow the advice you get here, try them all if you can.

Mildot

I like the CR Speed with the old style muzzle cup myself. It protects the muzzle and makes it less likely to come out of the holster at an unwanted time (squatting, bending over to pick up brass or sitting). One of these days I would love to play around with the new Safariland 013 to see how it feels.

Joe W.

I like the CR Speed with the old style muzzle cup myself. It protects the muzzle and makes it less likely to come out of the holster at an unwanted time (squatting, bending over to pick up brass or sitting). One of these days I would love to play around with the new Safariland 013 to see how it feels.

Joe W.

My Safariland 013 works really well. I enjoy the extra security between stages that the lock gives.

I ended up going with the DAA Race Master, so far I like it considering I don't have my gun just yet :( I bought one of there belts as well & the holster wouldn't fit on the belt, it actually ended up cutting the belt. So I had to send it back for them to look at.

I dont know if there is a "best", BUT best thing you can do is try to put your own gun in holster before you buy. Some holsters dont work with some guns. For example some very good holsters will not accomadate some guns with some grip assists.

• 1 month later...

I ended up going with the DAA Race Master, so far I like it considering I don't have my gun just yet :( I bought one of there belts as well & the holster wouldn't fit on the belt, it actually ended up cutting the belt. So I had to send it back for them to look at.

You should never have to cut the belt, or send it back. take a look at this clip:

if you had tried this - you would have fitted it on the belt in seconds.

Oh well, next time...

thanks for choosing our holster

Saul