Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video files to edit

Field

when you are dropping video files onto win movie maker, movavi video suite, adobe premier, sony vegas or any of those kinds of editors which type of video file is generally going to be the easiest and fastest for the program to work with?

the problem is when editing video files sometimes my movie editor will get pretty butt-hurt and freeze and crash at various times. the video off one of my cameras is quicktime and my editor seems to have trouble with this filetype. generally i have been converting it to WMV HD 720p but i was wondering if it would possibly be better to right off the bat convert everything to AVI and then make my video and all of the additional editing and THEN export it in WMV HD 720p.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Ok if you faced this problem in any heavy application.then your pc must effected with virus. so install any trusted anti virus and scan your pc. then try to do your work I hope your pc work fine.

Video Editing requires a bit more RAM. Make sure you have more than enough in relation to your PC. Also, Video card upgrade can help speed things up.

I would not worry to much about viruses just yet, unless you are experiencing the same slowdown on other apps.

Good luck.

Is your software legit? If not, that's probably your problem. 

How big, and what format are the video files going in. (and no, quicktime, avi, WMV are not a sufficient answer. You need to know what codec, those are all just container formats).

If you are going to do conversion->edit->conversions, then in general you want to go with something with no inter-frame compression so you lose as little quality as possible. MJPEG is probably the best compromise of not using up insane amounts  of disk space, and not getting bad compression artifacts. But it really shouldn't be necessary if you are just cutting and splicing. 

6GB should be sufficient RAM, but if you are trying to edit multiple multi-GB pieces of video in together on one timeline, then you can still be using up all your ram and beating up on swap. 

It also might not hurt to run a test on your RAM to make sure it doesn't have any problems. 

Is it just the video editor hagning up, or does it crash the whole system?