Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA #7 in .45 acp

NuJudge

Some years ago Ken Waters did an article in Handloader on loading .452" SWC bullets in the .45 acp using 800X, and got excellent accuracy and power. I loaded and shot a lot of them, and while dirty, they did shoot very well.

Looking at burning rate charts, AA #7 is right next to 800X. I have a lot of AA #7, which I burn in the .40 S&W. I don't find AA #7 dirty in the .40 S&W, but it does leave a dusting of unburned powder everywhere. My guess is that in the lower pressure .45 acp, AA #7 would be dirtier than it is in the .40 S&W.

Has anyone tried AA #7 in the .45 acp? Did any technique such as running higher pressures or hotter primers clean it up any, and how did it shoot?

Only AA #5 here, not No.7 and I'm not sure how comparable the two are in terms of clean/dirty. No. 5 I found to be quite smoky but it didn't seem to leave residue above and beyond the other 2 or 3 powders I've loaded in .45 for the low to moderate loads I did.

Load data shows No. 7 certainly can produce some respectable velocities at reasonable pressures, but lordie those charge weights are enormous (compared to the faster stuff such as Clays and No. 2). I certainly not hesitate to load up a bunch and see what you get.

#5 was developed specifically for the .45 ACP cartridge. #7 was developed specifically for the 9mm Luger cartridge in carbines. #7 will work in the .45 ACP but it's a bit slow. The only thing I've discovered is that #7 achieves the exact same velocity with a tiny bit less pressure (like a few hundred PSI) but uses 2+ grains more than #5 to do it. In the .45, I would choose #5 over #7, but I prefer WSF in the .45 for both lead and jacketed.

I love the metering of Accurate pistol powders but I hate the huge charge weights. Economical they sure aren't (like 17.5gr for a 10mm 135gr max load- seriously?). I find even a 6gr charge (WSF, 230gr bullet) to be a bit much for the .45 but I hate fast powders in any handgun so the slower the burn the more powder needed. It's a tradeoff.

• 1 month later...