Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180gr moly with 4.9 solo 1000

entropic

I might have won the chronograph stage at area 5 with this load (at least in my squad). Bullet weighed in at 181.1 grains and is about average for the bullets I use. How much can I go down and not have to worry about going lower than a 165 power factor? Bullets are going through a 5in Schumann tube. Thanks for the help,

Dave

Though not a moly-coated bullet, I only need 4.5gr of Solo 1000 to achieve 172PF with a 180gr TC bare lead bullet (out of a 5" 1911 barrel).

Edited to add (just for Redwoods :) ): 1.190" OAL

Edited by Cy Soto

Easy to figure out. Calculate your speed per grain.... Take your overall speed, divide by grains of powder and that's your speed per grain. Divide what speed you want by the speed per grain and use that.

It works for every calibre I shoot. Easy to calculate and just takes a few seconds to come up with the right load. Give yourself a little extra fudge factor then test everthing with your chrono but I've been doing it for years with no trouble.

Easy to figure out. Calculate your speed per grain.... Take your overall speed, divide by grains of powder and that's your speed per grain. Divide what speed you want by the speed per grain and use that.

It works for every calibre I shoot. Easy to calculate and just takes a few seconds to come up with the right load. Give yourself a little extra fudge factor then test everthing with your chrono but I've been doing it for years with no trouble.

Interesting. This crossed my mind but I figured there are too many variables to do this. I'll give it a shot. Thanks

I use 185gr. Precision Bullets molys. 4.2 grains game me 168PF out my old Para 5" barrel. I had to increase to 4.3/4.4 to get roughly the same PF out of a 4.75" Tanfoglio. OAL is consistent at 1.150

Edited by Chris Spiess

You can get different speeds out of your 4.9grains depending on your

OAL. Are you loading to 1.250 or 1.125? Regarding the other posts, you cannot go off of how many grains they use since they don't post their OAL. I am running 4.5gr Solo 1000, 185gr moly bullet, with a 1.195OAL...169-170pf. I drop to 4.3gr when I change my OAL to 1.138" and get same pf. 1911 5" barrel.