Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 trigger improvements?

moto727

Also a lighter trigger plunger spring would help. In the past I've cut 1.5 coils off the plunger spring (sits under the trigger bar and puts pressure on it). I have gotten a few sample springs that I've been using with great results in SA. I'm sure they'll work good for DA as well. When I get a solid supply of them I'll put them in my Stock II and give it a go. I will be doing more work on DA triggers this winter. I've got a new hammer and sear coming which when ready will be for DA as well. Possibly not legal for production, but maybe that can be worked out.

Going to a lighter hammer spring and working with the primers to set them off is big.

Also a lighter trigger plunger spring would help. In the past I've cut 1.5 coils off the plunger spring (sits under the trigger bar and puts pressure on it). I have gotten a few sample springs that I've been using with great results in SA. I'm sure they'll work good for DA as well. When I get a solid supply of them I'll put them in my Stock II and give it a go. I will be doing more work on DA triggers this winter. I've got a new hammer and sear coming which when ready will be for DA as well. Possibly not legal for production, but maybe that can be worked out.

Going to a lighter hammer spring and working with the primers to set them off is big.

what would you suggest as far as changing hammer springs? its in .40 cal

I put a 14 lb. hammer spring in my .40 Witness Steel and had no problems. I really like the way the trigger feels now. I put the same spring in my Limited Pro and got light primer hits using CCI magnum primers. I swithced to Federal primers and that solved the misfire problem. I installed a Henning x-long firing pin (shortened for safe functioning in my DA) and now the Limited Pro sets off the CCI magnum primers with 100% reliability. I plan on putting a 13 lb. in my Limited Pro and giving it a try.

I shortened the Henning firing pin about .005", installed it in the slide, pushed the firing pin forward flush with the hammer stop, then looked to see if it protruded out of the breech face. I performed this operation until the firing pin was slightly inside the breech face. I ended up shortening the pin .015" but this could vary due to the tolerance stack up of the gun and firing pin. I then reassembled the gun. I took a primer and let it soak in gun oil for a day to deactivate it. I inserted the primer into an empty case, loaded the case in the gun, then took a rubber hammer and lightly tapped the hammer. All this was done outside, with ear and eye protection, with the gun pointed in a safe direction. There was no indentation of the primer by the firing pin so this length was the right length for my gun. If you look at Hennings website he explains the advantages of the X-long firing pin. I hope this helps.

Edited by Big Nick

I did the same thing with the XL firing pin. it works great! I currently use the 15lb hammer spring for the Winch., Small rifle primers I'm using. For a match I'll use a 13lb spring with Federal primers. Now on my stock 2 I also shortened the stops on my hammer down to .018 and filed off and repositioned the secondary stops using a fine file and a jig I made out of a hard block of plastic to be precise. The single action is incredible! I built another jig that was the same dimension as the pistols pin position apart from each other. This allowed me to figure out the new angle for the sear. It's not much from the factory but it sure does make a difference. I polished the contact points to a mirror finish.

Once I was done with the hammer and sear I had to get the timing back to zero. What I mean by this is once you've changed where the sear position brakes the trigger you now have to tune the rest of the action so the double action brakes the same as your single action. Without this you will have problems big time with you double action. It took me a good eight hours of trial and error to get it just right. If done wrong your double action pull won't trip the sear and it will slam on the second stops.

I got the idea when I purchased the gun and compared it to my CZ SP01 Shadow (full custom)part for part. The CZ competition hammer is so much different than the stock CZ hammer dimensions. I mimicked the design of the competition hammer but had to come up with my own numbers to make it function reliably. Now it's the best gun I've ever shot. 2lbs. 3oz. with a 15lb. hammer spring. Scary 1lb. 10oz. with my 13lb. spring. Less than a 1/16" inch from break to reset. Oh dats nice! LOL

• 2 years later...

I put a 14 lb. hammer spring in my .40 Witness Steel and had no problems. I really like the way the trigger feels now. I put the same spring in my Limited Pro and got light primer hits using CCI magnum primers. I swithced to Federal primers and that solved the misfire problem. I installed a Henning x-long firing pin (shortened for safe functioning in my DA) and now the Limited Pro sets off the CCI magnum primers with 100% reliability. I plan on putting a 13 lb. in my Limited Pro and giving it a try.

Did you try the 13 lb on your limited pro ?

Tomorrow i'll be testing the same thing on the Stock II.

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone,

My name is Tomas and I am shooter from Europe, Lithuania IPSC, production division. I have recently purchases my Tanfoglio Stock 2 9x19 pistol. What I do see is that the trigger pull for the out of the box gun is pretty awful, the DA trigger is nothing to compare lets say to CZ SP-01.

As far as I see you guys have tried doing some adjustment to the trigger system of Stock 2, perhaps we can all come to some final conclusion what should be done in order to make the trigger pull especially for DA easier and smooth?

Perhaps any advice on that from the IPSC shooters would be greatly appreciated;