Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tape Flying of target durring COF

Ty Hamby

If we had to reshoot every stage where tape got blown off or a target wasn't taped, boy oh boy, there would be some long range days.

One lesson she can learn from this is to watch the sights and not the targets and call your shots. If you calling your shots, you are much less likely to see tape flying of and you will shoot faster and more accurately.

One lesson she can learn from this is to watch the sights and not the targets and call your shots. If you calling your shots, you are much less likely to see tape flying of and you will shoot faster and more accurately.

Ummm. She was shooting from retention. Hard to see the sights. :roflol:

Whey would headquarters need to elaborate on something that is such a common and well-known situation? A bit of a waste of their time, to be sure.

Sounds to me like the shooter had a mental malfunction and wanted a reshoot because of it. Thumbs down.

Im fortunate enough to shoot at 3 separate IDPA clubs each month. One club averages 25 shooters one club averages 45 shooter and one club averages 100 shooters each month. Ive spoken about this with several SO that have SO'ed State matches at each of the 3 clubs. Im surprised to have gotten such a wide range of answers. Most are "Its the SO job to make sure the targets are taped and ready to go. If I failed to replace a target that was well over do I would probably allow a reshoot but no one ever wants a reshoot so I don’t know?" One Club President said he would not allow a reshoot as tape flies and that is the nature of the beast. Still I get a rainbow of answers. It is this montage of answers I got that prompted me post the question here.

I think if this is so cut and dry why are so many experienced members giving me so many different answers?

No response needed. I have asked the question you have all answered the best to your knowledge.

I also enjoy a good debate. So thanks to those that contributed constructively.

Edited by HK45 Lefty

So I'm not sure if I'd give a reshoot... However... we don't often set up COFs with targets so close that that can happen- for this reason. I personally don't care for shooting from retention in matches either. But this is just my opinion.

I had a similar situation occur with me where there were plastic bags placed over the targets because of rain. As I'm trying to shoot a head shot, strong hand only .... the plastic bag moves across the target, bunches up at the head, and blows off from the head. I waited a couple seconds to see what the bag was gonna do. I was the only one in my group of 10 or 11 this happened to and wanted a reshoot however the SO & MD said "no". I tell this story because it reminds me how I'm supposed to be looking at the sights but it's just natural to also observe some of the target at the same time. I'm sure she just wanted to shoot the stage like everyone else with no advantage or disadvantage. She (probably like me) is just not a good enough trained paper target killer and when things happen to the target which aren't supposed to happen it's a distraction. I hope she continues to shoot and harbors not hard feelings. I can't say the same! I vote to give her a reshoot.

I think if this is so cut and dry why are so many experienced members giving me so many different answers?

You're not really getting "so many different answers". You're really only getting two answers. Most people here are quoting well-established and understood match procedure which says "mental malfunctions are not grounds for a reshoot" and another, smaller group is saying, "I'd give her a reshoot anyway because it's the nice thing to do.":rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Question 2) Has headquarters ever addressed this?

Yes, although not to the question of a reshoot in such a situation.

(page 74 of current rule book):

Extensively pasted targets should be replaced. At a major match,

targets should be replaced often to prevent any scoring

discrepancies. IDPA policy at sanctioned matches is that the target

should be replaced every fifty (50) hits maximum.

[..snip..]

Change targets regularly so scoring remains

simple.

Competition Rules C11 (page 9):

Re-shoots are allowed for stage equipment malfunctions or SO interference with the shooter.

Targets and tape are part of stage equipment.

She was legally entitled to a re-shoot.

Edited by Gryff