Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
assaulter

147 gr. Lead 9mm and Solo 1000

I can't find a start and max load for lead 147 gr. 9mm using Solo 1000. Accurates sight doesn't list it and i've read through many of the threads and found wide variations. Does anyone have book data? Thanks

You won't find any reasonable published data that I know of for 9mm. There is some old Royal Scot data out there (search here) but it is usually very conservative. Solo varies so much lot to lot it will be hard to nail down a max. Do a search and start out low working your way up. That is the best you can do. Maybe some people will chime in that shoot a 147gr lead bullet with Solo.

Just be aware the new lot of Solo1000 is really slow. I have talked to Scotts about it and they say the same velocity I did in the past with the new powder will get me the same pressure. So load it to my Chrono Data not grs. Old powder was 2.9grs behind my 155gr Lyman mold bullets that I make. New load is 3.2 grs behind the same bullet. Both at 130pf. Whatever that FPS is?

I load 3.5gr with 147gr moly coated Black Bullets at 1.130" for 134PF. I would probably load 20 rounds each at 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 and chrono your way up watching for pressure signs. I usually chrono 10, look at all the cases, then bench 10 more for accuracy at 30yds before I bother loading up a bunch of anything.

It will Partly depend on what bullets you're using and how hard they are as well. I tried 3.5gr with 147gr Missouri bullets, but it leaded my barrels quickly and very bad. I think I settled on 3.2gr at the time for around 128-129pf. They are good bullets, you just can't push them too hard. I don't use bare lead anymore.

I load exactly that, 147 with solo 1000, and I load them around 3.6 3.7 grains of solo 1000. I run production with my xd9 tactical with a 13lb spring and never had a problem. I have probably shot 2000 rounds through the gun now. I started out with 3.5, and went all the way up to 3.9, it all works well, I like to load them @ 3.7 myself, I have another guy in my clud exactly the same gun and press and he loads @ 3.6, hope this helps. 3.5 is below power factor so I just loaded about 50 of them to test them out, as a starting point, I think the best this to do is load 3.5 round 50 or so, chrono them and work your way up from there, better to start on the bottom end, gl :)

dependin on what lot you have i would say a safe atarting place would be 3.3 and work up to your desired power factor. i usually run 3.4 to 3.6 depending on the powder variance.

I am working up a 9mm load with 147gr moly coated truncated cone lead bullets over Solo1000. I loaded several batches - all to 1.10" OAL with a crimp of 0.375"

I used 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, & 3.6gr of Solo1000 for my 4 batches to test (Chrono). I fired 8-10 rounds for each chrono test.

Using an XD9 Tactical (5") I started with the 3.3gr and the chrono showed a range of 894.8 - 932.9fps ave.= 914fps.

Using 3.4gr of Solo1000 out of the same gun I got 942.5 - 972.7fps, ave.= 959.3fps.

I tried a brand new S&W M&P9 Pro with the 3.3gr of Solo1000 and got 880.7 - 932.9fps, ave.= 909fps

These velocities seem higher than I would have expected given the other velocities posted on this and other forums. I expected to need about 3.5 - 3.6gr to reach the IDPA power factor of 125 (needing 851fps with this bullet). I did not test the 3.5 and 3.6gr batches because I was in a hurry to get to a steel match that night and didn't need to be that far above the power factor.

Any insights? Anyone else getting these kinds of velocities out of just 3.3gr of Solo1000?

I'm not sure there's room/air in the case after I seat these big bullets - could it be an issue of powder compression?

My OAL is a little shorter than I read others are using for 9mm, but I did it because I had a different bullet that was too long at 1.15" in another XD9. Even at this relatively short length, the first round of a mag would not go into battery in the M&P Pro when I dropped the slide closed. All subsequent rounds cycled fine, but the truncated nose of the first bullet snagged on the feed ramp and stuck the slide partially open. I could slap the back of the slide and it would go into battery. I'm not sure I want to seat any deeper so I'm looking for advice.

Thanks, JIM

What was the temp when you chrono'd ? What is your lot # ?

I run 3.8gr, and almost got DQ'd at IDPA nationals when it got pretty hot ~90-95 and the ammo could have sat in the sun. The first few rounds didnt make 125, the next ones did. The very next weekend at 50 degrees, I chrono'd 138pf with no issues.

That's what I thought - I should not be getting these velocities. I know I am not over-crimped, I wonder if the bullet seating depth is involved.

I forgot to mention the temp - it was actually very very plesant - around the mid 70s F. Definately not at all warm and not chilly at all in a T-Shirt (how's that for scientific temperature data to chrono with). A smart person would bring a thermometer but I was trying to squeeze in the chrono session between a business meeting and a steel match. Is Solo1000 reverse temperature sensitive? Sounds like it from your question.

Lot #: The white sticker on the bottom says "1877" and then "5 4 09" below it.

BTW, I was shooting with Bill Barron who took first at IDPA Nationals in ESP SS.

Thanks, JIM

If I remember, that may be a faster lot than the #1930 Im using. My old data was 3.4-3.6 which I didnt write down the lot # before I threw away the container, so your numbers are entirely possible. Thats the downfall with Solo1000. Lot to lot inconsistencies, and temperature variation.

(I was 3rd ESP/SS :cheers: )

Powder = Solo1000

Bullet = Bear Creek 9mm Moly 147gr flat point

OAL = 1.130

Temp at Chrono = 74-76 degree F

M&P Pro (5")

XD9 Tactical 5" (both guns ran the same velocities BTW)

I was told maybe the short OAL was contributing to the higher velocities so I loaded them to 1.130" OAL and tried again but everything between 3.3-3.5gr was well above the 125PF.

I kept the OAL at 1.130 and loaded some at 2.8, 3.0, 3.2gr of Solo1000 today. I took all of the chrono data from this effort and put it on one scatter diagram. It shows that for my set up, I need 3.2gr Solo1000 to stay above the PF consistently. I think I am getting away with less powder because of the faster Moly bullets.

Slide1.jpg

Thanks for the help!

JIM