Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing a Glock Front Sight

Micah

I do not care for adjustable sights, so I am replacing the sights on my G24...the problem is...even with the Dawson front sight removal tool, I am unable to remove said sight. I tried bumping the bolt with a blowtorch to weaken any potential hard core Locktite...even tried a tool from Lowes.

So what is the best tool to use when removing a stubborn front sight?

I used a heat gun on the (very old) night sights on my old police trade in 22. I was afraid to lay into it with a torch. I had to leave the heat on a long time. I heated top and bottom of the slide. I stripped out a Lone Wolf tool before I decided to do my best to melt the damn sight off :o. It did eventually come free.

I lapplied the torch on rather thick...so much so that the ambient heat melted the fiber optic contained within the front post. The Dawson sight tool appears to be stripped from my earlier efforts...

A heat gun-leave on there a long time-get the whole slide kind of warm-may need some leather gloves and just stay at it-it will come off-PITA-Like AWLAZ says more heat-not with at torch though. Last time I did this-cause I was really bright and put more Loctite on the new sight I put in-it took a couple of go rounds with the heat and wrench-Glock tool was too big to fit hole on 24 slide-and like two 12 oz cans of amber liquid.

I have a socket from Brownells that's designed to fit into the handle of my Magna-Tip screwdriver, with a hole in the end sized and shaped to fit the Glock front sight hex nut - the full-sized screwdriver handle gives a lot more leverage to turn than the typical little sight tools. If you want to call Brownells at 1-800-741-0015 and tell them what you need, they might be able to help you.

I lapplied the torch on rather thick...so much so that the ambient heat melted the fiber optic contained within the front post. The Dawson sight tool appears to be stripped from my earlier efforts...

If you need a new wrench drop me a note with your address and I can send you a new Dawson wrench and throw a handle on it for you for better leverage. If you have their tool (not stripped), you can use a crescent wrench to get some leverage on it and put lots of down pressure to prevent it from slipping after burning out the loctite.

BTW Micah, what color Loctite did you use? I use blue, it's always worked just fine, and I have no problem unscrewing the hex nut when the time comes. I could see where red would be a problem though - which is why I don't use red.

Micah: I use the Ed Brown socket. It is steel and works great. I do heat up the bolt and let it cool two or three times. I have also hit it with break clean to loosen the Loc-tite up. I do use the heat for the final bolt removal. I use a butane blow torch from Harbour Freight(works great to light cigars as well) :cheers: Go slow and take your time. Thanks, Eric

if you used the red, like matt said, let the heat go till the loctite smokes, a lil puff is all you need to know its done, a 'smithy friend of mine turned down a socket to fit in that front sight gap on most Glocks because he was installin so many now sights with the hex nut, the socket is deep and made of STEEL, not cheesy aluminum andthe handle give good leverage good luck with that, also what ive found is that a lil thread tape keeps em from working loose

Micah, the Dawson front site wrench is made from aluminum and isn't made to get really good torque with. I have one of the Glock front site wrenches, and the socket is made from steel and won't strip out. Get a decent front site wrench, heat the red lock-tite till it smokes, then the bolt should break loose.

You play with Glocks enough you probably should have a really well made front site wrench anyway. ;)

If you think just melting the fiber is hot enough, you're not getting there.

Take the fiber out, and then heat it up till you get smoke from the locktite.

This is what I do. Once it starts to smoke you're there. I always use red loctite and a butane torch to remove it. Have melted a fiber optic or two myself. Once, I melted the plastic, or paint or whatever, around a mepro-light night sight. Still worked, so I guess it didn't rupture the tritium insert. Won't do that with a night sight again.

ETA: I got a hex tool at sears that looks like a screwdriver, but is sized to fit the normal sized hex screw on most front sights. I had to grind down the outside of it with a dremel so it would fit between the hex bolt and the front of the slide.

Edited by dsmw5142

Take the slide and put it in the oven (you know that thing your wife never uses) and let it sit in said oven for 1 hr at 300 degrees. Then take the slide out (carefully) and the sight will come right off. :)

UHHHMMM, should the striker sleeve be removed before the baking process???

Edited by dirty whiteboy