Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Psa Shootout (huge Pennsylvania Steel Match)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was just announced on the PSA Match website. This is a great way to get more women and children involved in our sport.

1/21/04

--- SPECIAL OFFER FOR LADIES AND JUNIORS---

How is this for an incentive!

Sign up your sons and daughters, wives and girlfriends, sisters and mothers because we have a special offer from iSHOT for them.

We'd like to welcome iSHOT as a sponsor for the PSA SHOOTOUT. The president of iSHOT, Mr. Helmie Ashibile, is not only supporting the match by becoming a sponsor, but is also donating special prizes for Junior and Lady class shooters in an effort to increase the number of women and young shooters to our sport.

Mr. Ashibile is donating five iShot Pro Shooters Range Bags to five Lady shooters registered for the match and five iSHOT Mini Deluxe Range Bags to five Junior registered shooters. THE BAGS WILL BE AWARDED BY RANDOM DRAWING AT THE SHOOTERS PARTY ON SATURDAY NIGHT DURING THE MATCH. WINNERS NEED NOT BE PRESENT TO WIN AND WILL HAVE THEIR CHOICE OF BAG COLOR.

Check out their site at www.ishot-inc.com

Joe Mamma

I've RO'd and shot this match since its inception and its as lot of fun. Imagine an all steel stage of 28 poppers. Last years match filled about mid February. They added another day this year (Thur) Also there is a shotgun speed shoot side match and they added a .22 rimfire rifle side match.

I'll be there with the rest of Team Shooters Sat AND Sun.

I shot this match last year, showed up with the wrong gun, wrong equipment, wrong ammo, and shot horribly in the cold miserable rain.......It was the most fun I've had at a match in a long time.

I'm sure the match is pretty much full by now, but if you have the time, it's worth the trip. Just download your ammo, put in your 8lb recoil spring, practice your reloads and start blasting!

Trust me, it's worth it.

Phil Strader

"Is it from surrender or hands at sides?

Reloads from table or belt required?"

I am not sure about drawing from a holster. I know it is allowed but, I don't know what position your hands have to be in. I believe most people start with the gun in hand, muzzle touching the table. Unfortunately, if you are starting with the gun in hand, the hammer has to be down or the safety has to be on. It's not like shooting bowling pins.

Reloads are allowed from the belt or off of the table.

Joe Mamma

Hey, Steel Animal...check their website...a lot of the FAQ's are covered in the "Rules".

3. Start with gun in hand, muzzle touching table OR draw from a holster. Shooters choice.

It doesn't say if the holster draw is hands above shoulders or at sides???

If holstered, your hands can basically be anywhere but on the gun. Most people start with the muzzle touching the table. Yes, the gun is in a safe mode (safety on or hammer down). With a little practice, your first shot can get about .15 to .25 better than from a draw.

If you haven't shot this match before, practice counting shots. It is best to not run the gun dry. It is weird to start with 9 in the mag and 1 in the tube, and then reload to 10 round mags.

Each stage typically has 29 pieces of steel (sometimes 28). If you miss once, you don't have to do a second reload. If you miss twice, you are doing a second reload. A few years ago, a steel left standing cost 3 seconds but too many of us figured out that if you ran the gun dry on the last shot, it was better just to take the miss. Now the miss penaly is 5 seconds, so a steel left standing really hurts.

And don't forget your shotgun! Fun to see how fast you can knock down 5 poppers at 12 yards from a low ready. Last year, the winning time was 1.42 seconds!!

Steve,

I'll see ya there. We will be shooting Sat AM, PM and Sun AM. This will be my 4th year. It's getting to the point where I enjoy this match more than the Cup.

I have seen very few people draw from the holster or reload from the belt. Low ready is the way to go.

I noticed they are limiting velocities to around 1370 this year. They had a whole lot of welding going on last year.

They always have two stages with small targets. I believe they are called Hosers Nightmare and John Wayne. If you have a big dot in your C-more you may want to find one with a smaller dot. I had an STI set up with a variable dot Tasco PDP5 just for this match and I've come in 6th for the past 2 years.

Count to nine on the first mag then 10 on the others. :D

Kevin Angstadt

A couple of years back they let you start from holster with hand ON gun. Its worth asking if that is still the case. That makes the holster versus table draw a much closer comparison and tougher choice to pick.

Best match I know to see all the different shooting disciplines (steel, bowling pin, IDPA, PPSA, and IPSC guys) all getting along and having a great time.

• 2 months later...

Any progress news to report? They are HELL with getting scores out (previously as long as 6 weeks), but if you count your own total time you can post here and we can get a sense of how everyone is doing. I heard Koenig is coming this year!

I shot the match in 123. something I think. Had one killer gun jam on the drop targets stage, no to mention running the gun dry on all but one stage at least once (slide doesn't lock back). Need work on counting rounds and making every shot count.

Overall I had a blast and will be back next year with a new load! Thinking of trying out some 38 ACP loads from AA. Looks like about a 110 PF.......