Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smoke & Hope

Flexmoney

That is blazing fast!

Just running some numbers here...I shoot it 1, 2, 3, 4, Stop.

Going with the 1.84 average time and working backwards...

Minus .20 = 1.64 hit on #4

Let's say a .14 transition gets you a 1.5 second hit on #3.

Another .20 = 1.30 hit on #2

.14 seconds between #1 and #2 = 1.16 first shot from draw.

Or another way to look at it:

#1 : 1.16

#2 : 1.30

#3 : 1.50

#4 : 1.64

#S : 1.84

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1.16 secs is a VERY slow draw to a 7 yd 18"x24" target ..... even I can do a 1.25 draw on S&H. His open draw has to be sub 1 sec & his RFPO 1st shot should be under .5 secs as well ...

Edited by Nimitz

Max Michel was doing .7 draws on S&H at the PA State Steel Challenge Championship match. To be honest, that seemed to be his draw time regardless of the stage. Someone grabbed slow-mo video of his draw on one of the stages. If I can track it down I will share it.

That sounds about right. When I was being instructed by Robby Orent he said that a 1 second draw was the main goal of most top shooters and beyond that was just refining the process. Sometimes the division allowed holster defines how fast you can draw as much as anything.

Max Michel was doing .7 draws on S&H at the PA State Steel Challenge Championship match. To be honest, that seemed to be his draw time regardless of the stage. Someone grabbed slow-mo video of his draw on one of the stages. If I can track it down I will share it.

I hope you find it. I'd love to see it.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/2/2015 at 8:17 AM, scottlep said:

Max is essentially a machine.

• 1 year later...

Smoke & Hope is easily my worst stage.  On all of the other stages, with the small exception of Roundabout, I can relax a little and focus on good fundamentals and good transitions.  But on S&H all of that goes out the window and I get tense and throw complete trash fires for stage times.  Like, I have yet to crack 13 seconds in OPEN on S&H.  I'm actually faster in Showdown and almost as fast in Speed Option!  In fact, I've only cracked a 3 second individual string time once in close to 2 years of shooting SC.

I took the advice of the thread early on and shot it 1-2-4-3-stop.  What I'm noticing happening is that I'll often overswing on plate 4 and have to take a makeup shot which kills my time.  Usually I don't really have a problem hitting the stop plate consistently, it's just that big swing causes me to miss and take a makeup shot.

For my next match, I plan to practice 1-2-3-4-stop and raise my par times a little so I don't get so tense.  Logically there's no reason why I should be missing on these big plates, so I'm hoping that a difference approach might help me out.

Watched Jerry Miculek shoot S&H with a Smith & Wesson Performance Center Victory in RFPO and his sequence was 2,1,4,3,S.  Being that the muzzle was pointing at the start marker, the closest target was 2.  My best run using that sequence in RFRO was 6.39 in December '20 at Brooklyn.

BC

• 2 years later...