Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roundabout

Flexmoney

Dan,

For me it comes down to consistency. Shooting it 4-3-1-2-S may be a tenth or so faster if you have a good draw, but it was harder to put 5 runs together under pressure. I can run 1.9's all day long shooting 1-2-4-3-S, whereas the other way I really feel like I have to push my draw to get down into the 1.8's, and it just didn't work in the match for me.

SoCalNoMore- I have looked at the Stage thread many, many, many times and only once is the 4-3-1-2-S anywhere. That's why I ask the question.

BJ, thanks for the comment. If you could, help me out a little more.

Drawing to the far(1) or close(4) target doesn't seem to be an issue, it's more a matter of transitions between targets. Going left to right just doesn't have the same flow for me. Targets 1-2-S seem to appear closer together and have a nice rythm and speed.

I ask the question because I can't find anyone else that shoots it that way. I've looked at a bunch of YouTube videos and on the stage thread and everyone shoots it 1-2-4-3-S or 1-2-3-4-S. Is there a really high disaster factor in doing it the way I am or something else I am missing?

FYI - Have only been shooting Steel Challenge stuff since this winter. Shooting rimfire irons my times on Roundabout are running in the sub 2.4 range with a .75 first shot going 4-3-1-2-S. Closer to 2.8 if I go 1-2-3-4-S. Come from a target shooting background so still trying to teach my finger to move faster!!!

I think you have answered your own question. The BEST shooters on the planet shoot it 1-2-4-3-S or 1-2-3-4-S so the question is not why do they shoot it this way (Because of time and experience it has proven to be faster this way) the question is why do feel your way is better? The answer will be subjective as it should be. So shoot it the way that is best for you. If your way was is faster for you then stick with it.

I will always shoot it 1-2-3-4-S because I want the option of shooting at 3 in case I miss it in transition.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I shoot it 2-1-4-3-S for both centerfire and rimfire. I also shoot Smoke & Hope and Accelerator that way. In all cases, my draw is on the closest target, which is a faster draw, and I tend to shoot faster right to left. So, it's bang-bang..bang-bang-bang. As BJ said, consistency is the key and this approach works well for me. However, my best time is no where near BJ's. I'm more like 2.5-3.0 seconds with an occasional 2.3 in centerfire open sights.

Left handed shooters may like it better drawing to the right first, just like most right handed shooters like to draw to the left.....but in the end you have to find which way is best for you.

Keep in mind that rimfire strategy is not always the same as centerfire. Because the rimfire start position is low ready gun pointed at the center of the stage, some will choose shoot the closest target to the start position first.

Seiichi

Thanks so much to everyone for the comments. Some good points for sure. Will keep working on things and see what I come up with. I do think the rimfire vs centerfire is something to think about, but another question there that I might ask in another thread.

Thanks again! Loving it for sure!

I shoot stages in the order that makes the most sense to me. I probably could learn a lot by experimenting but I shoot this 4321s for 2 reasons. First, I like to draw to a close plate. Second, I like to transition the same direction as much as possible. Shoot 'em in a row and back to stop.

Look at how much gun movement you have going 4321S. 17+11 = 28 1243S is 17+6 or 23; an increase of over 20% .

You might get a little faster draw but you have further to swing. I like keeping the swing to a minimum.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I just started getting serious about Steel Challenge and there is some great information here.  So far my best runs are shooting 4-3-1-2-S, but now I'll have to practice the other reccommended sequences to see how they compare.  For whatever reason the order I mentioned above seems most natural to me.

I've been shooting it 1-2-3-4-S.  As previously stated can pick up the #3 if missed since the box isn't centered on the stop plate.  There is a greater chance of missing that one, for me any way.  But if I miss it then can take 4 and come back to 3 before the stop.

• 5 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2013 at 7:27 AM, B.J. Norris said:

Dan,

For me it comes down to consistency. Shooting it 4-3-1-2-S may be a tenth or so faster if you have a good draw, but it was harder to put 5 runs together under pressure. I can run 1.9's all day long shooting 1-2-4-3-S, whereas the other way I really feel like I have to push my draw to get down into the 1.8's, and it just didn't work in the match for me.

After employing the 4-3-1-2-S sequence on Roundabout last Sunday, I think I'll keep to this sequence for a while.  I like finishing with my natural right-hander's preferred direction of L-to-R and I like how quickly I can hit plate 4 to get things started.  I also did Smoke&Hope in this sequence, and it felt fine as well.

• 5 years later...

Peak Time changes for SC-108 ROUNDABOUT effective 03 Jan 2024.

CO (Carry Optics) changed to 9.75 sec from 10.00 sec.

RFPI (Rimfire Pistol Iron) changed to 8.25 sec from 8.50 sec.

RFRI (Rimfire Rifle Iron) changed to 7.50 sec from 7.75 sec.

All other Divisions remain unchanged for 2024.

REF:  USPSA BOD minutes 20230523 SCSA PST Adjustments 2024.pdf

2024 Peak SC108.jpg

On 11/4/2023 at 6:41 AM, GKB said:

Peak Time changes for SC-108 ROUNDABOUT effective 03 Jan 2024.

CO (Carry Optics) changed to 9.75 sec from 10.00 sec.

RFPI (Rimfire Pistol Iron) changed to 8.25 sec from 8.50 sec.

RFRI (Rimfire Rifle Iron) changed to 7.50 sec from 7.75 sec.

All other Divisions remain unchanged for 2024.

REF:  USPSA BOD minutes 20230523 SCSA PST Adjustments 2024.pdf

2024 Peak SC108.jpg

Nice work.  Thanks for highlighting the changes for each stage.

do you have a PDF file for each of your excel worksheets shown?  They would be handy to have.

BTW, do you agree that the PST reductions increase for the down classes?  A second reduction for GM is a 1.18 second reduction for M class as an example.  I’ll look closer at your spreadsheet to see if that proves correct.

thanks again for your effort on these.

3 hours ago, Hoops said:

BTW, do you agree that the PST reductions increase for the down classes?  A second reduction for GM is a 1.18 second reduction for M class as an example.  I’ll look closer at your spreadsheet to see if that proves correct.

It does.

So a 0.25 sec decrease in Peak time is a 0.2375 decrease to GM time (95%), 0.2125 sec to M time (85%), etc.

3 hours ago, Hoops said:

Nice work.  Thanks for highlighting the changes for each stage.

do you have a PDF file for each of your excel worksheets shown?  They would be handy to have.

Thanks.

I have the Excel and a PowerPoint with a photo of each stage with same Excel table of the required times for the stage.

I've saved each as a PDF version (much smaller, but no edit ability).  The "Shoot Order" PPTX/PDF has my shooting order over the target pictures.

I've placed them in a shared folder:

https://app.box.com/s/crggwto4dme64lzetufvimjspwd0lk13