Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outer Limits

Flexmoney

Outer Limits:

World record - Outer Limits - BJ Norris - 11.14 total - 3.71 avg. - 2008

2003 Steel Challenge

Best time = 12.44 (Doug)

Top 16 avg. = 14.36

The WINCHESTER AMMUNITION Outer Limits will have three 4' x 4' shooting boxes. The shooter will start on their weak side shooting box and will engage the 20 and 35 yard plates on the weak side of the center line, move to the middle shooting box and engage the remaining two plates and stop plate. Note: Only two of the three boxes will be used by each shooter. Depending on whether you are right or left handed, you will begin in the appropriate outside box and finish in the middle box.

post-56-1075308971_thumb.jpg

I posted the stage descriptions in another thread, since they're all mixed together, but the basic deal for this one is right handers shoot from the left and center boxes, and left handers shoot from the right and center boxes. Start in the appropriate outside box, shoot the two plates on your side of the stop plate, move to the center box, and shoot the remaining two plates and the stop plate.

Thanks Lynn - do you know how high the plates are mounted from the ground? What type of mounting is commonly used - i.e., bases. I am going to call my local metal supply and see what it will cost to make up enough targets to do all of these that Flex has posted. I have yet to go to a Steel Match but looks like fun to me.

Thanks Lynn - do you know how high the plates are mounted from the ground? What type of mounting is commonly used - i.e., bases.  I am going to call my local metal supply and see what it will cost to make up enough targets to do all of these that Flex has posted.  I have yet to go to a Steel Match but looks like fun to me.

At the challenge, the plates hang from stands which are mounted to the back of railroad ties which are sunk into the ground. The stop plate has an impact switch mounted on it's stand to stop the clock. They swing and ring nicely when hit. Most other places don't leave the stages set up year round and use steel or wooden stands and a timer to record the last shot.

From the Steelchallenge.com site:

All round targets are 5' high to the top of the target and all rectangles are 5'6" to the top of the target (as set by a transom from the shooter's box).
Whatever that means.

There are some pictures and video from last year on my website

Steel is a ton of fun and a great way to get new shooters interested. No reloads, minimal movement, low-capacity & .22 friendly, easy to score and reset and you don't have to be perfect (around here sometimes we throw the worst two runs out) Fun for the whole family!

• 2 weeks later...

I only shot this one once, and the only thing I remember is where you stood in the box gave some advantage. Either you could position yourself so the stop plate was farther from the other plate so you didn't accidently hit the stop plate out of order or you could stand in such a way as the plates were closer together for a faster tranision.

George

As a lefty, I shoot it 3-4, 1,2. I like leaving on the little plate since I get feedback sooner if it's a questionable call, and the twist seems to 'throw' me out of the box a bit quicker. Shooting #2-stop is a no-brainer for me.

I irritate my practice buddy by only needing one step to get over while he needs two.

The videos on my site are pretty much all the ones I was there for and got decent video of.

This stage separates the men from the boys and may be the most key stage to do well on in the entire match. The cool thing about the SS guys is they don't move if they have a miss. Everybody else does the 2-step.

(yes, that's Michael Bane in the way)

• 2 weeks later...

A good trick to "get the perspective" on this stage is to (squat down so you can) line up a 12" plate so it is in front of a rectangle. You'll notice that the rectangle isn't actually "that much bigger" than the 12" disc. Keep this in mind as you approach each run.

Always shot 1,2 before the move, because I prefer to set up a nice, solid first shot, then leave on the rectangle, which give you a slightly greater margin of error. Since, at faster speeds, your body is starting to "drift" as you shoot 2, it's important that you learn to precisely call what may end up being an aligned shot (good sight alignment), however, it may not necessarily be aligned in the center of the target. You don't want to have to "step back in." (Not till your last run at least.) ;)

Then in box 2, although now and then I'd experiment with 4,3, I always ended up shooting it 3,4, for a couple reasons. It's easier to hit 3 coming in when you're not yet quite stable. And say you shoot 4,3.... If the first three shots of the stage were all first-shot hits, it's real easy to just kind of "toss one" at 3 on your way to the stop. If this happens, at higher speeds, it's not unlike the 1,2,4,3 order of Roundabout - it's real easy to tap the stop plate without hitting plate 3. Real easy.

be

• 9 months later...

I'm really starting to get hooked on Steel Challenge. Shot the E Texas Steel Challenge over the weekend and finished on this stage. Had a 75.xx going into this one, walked away (grumbling) with a 100.xx and a real bad finish. I see now I did some things wrong, along with shooting this one too fast for some reason. The rest of the stages I shot really comfortable and didn't make many errors.

• 4 months later...

2-1-4-3-S

I don't know why but I was completely dialed with my Limited rig and couldn't miss the first two plates, even with consistent 1.25 draws at 35 yards. But then getting the next plate while stepping in was a major difficulty.

2-1-4-3-S

I don't know why but I was completely dialed with my Limited rig and couldn't miss the first two plates, even with consistent 1.25 draws at 35 yards. But then getting the next plate while stepping in was a major difficulty.

1-2-4-3-s mo betta...1st shot 1.5-1.6 and 2nd shot leaving box at under 2 gets you 4.7 or so...great stage...my favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot it again today with Limited Major STI and Open Minor P9. I still have to shoot #2 first. Consistent 1.33 draw with 1.75-2.0 between boxes. Seems like I have to give up a little time to settle in the box but it's worth it. Best run 4.24, pretty easy to do 4.6. Compared to ong45, I push it on the last two plates.

I guess I should try Brian's method of shooting #3 upon entering the box.

• 2 weeks later...

This stage is going to drive me nuts. There is precious little difference between a world-class run (4.77 and 4.82 Limited today) and a throwaway run and I can't tell what that difference is. But I think it has to do with shot-calling. :)

• 2 months later...

How do y'all enter the box? I have been playing with accelerating aggresively on the first step then taking 2 slower and softer ( heel to toe) steps into the box. Can't really tell if its any better.

I see some guys blast to box 2 and get settled down pretty quickly. The dot sure seems so bounce a lot for me though.

James

I do the two-step since I'm tall enough to get away with it. But when I taped the SS on OL at the last SC, I was surprised how many took a lot of steps box-to-box. There may be something to that.

• 2 years later...

I went back through this thread with all the talk about OL over the past couple of weeks. I found it interesting that in the past four years the time for this stage has been cut by over a second. If you going to be competitive on OL now you better be shooting times consistently under 4.00 seconds on each run. I think most of the SS is now shooting the stage 1,2,4,3,S

I went back through this thread with all the talk about OL over the past couple of weeks. I found it interesting that in the past four years the time for this stage has been cut by over a second. If you going to be competitive on OL now you better be shooting times consistently under 4.00 seconds on each run. I think most of the SS is now shooting the stage 1,2,4,3,S

<_< Competitive is a relative term, I am shurr what your meaning is "To Win The Match"

I have gotten lots faster that I used to be on OL my Goal time is and average of 4.6 I have shoot some times under 4 in practice and I am going to continue to push my times.

But :mellow: I think we have only about <_< 10 <_< shooters that can win the match. And any thing close to the Top 15 I would call Competitive. I think any shooter that can get times to average 4.75 can be Very Competitive at Steel Challenge. <_< I have learned to look at the Cost / Reward = The cost to get times under 4 do not balance the reward for -most- shooters. For me I would have to give up too much. <_< and I just may not be capable of 3 runs under 4 seconds no mater how much I practiced

OL definately separates the men from the boys as it were (well except the "boys" have been running away with the match, but I digress ;))

I've run under 4 in practice just a few times, and there's usually a lot of ground that can be made up here, but really one extra shot on OL is worse time-wise than one extra elsewhere, but not two, so practice accordingly.

• 5 months later...

i have been working on the movement between the boxes

it's one of those things that i can almost get but it's a fleeting feeling

before i start i put more weight on my weak side leg almost leaning to the left

and as i engage the second plate my right (strong) foot hits the ground

and this is where i loose time

it seems like almost a hop step out of the box

my right leg gets out quick then one cross step with my left

then another step with my right which lands in the about a foot inside the box

setting up as my left foot gently sets in the box

i don't know if this is the right way or even if there is a right way

but it seems to be working for me

i have gotten the stage as low as 3.46 in practice but that was after shooting about a thousand rounds on it.

i have been working on the movement between the boxes

it's one of those things that i can almost get but it's a fleeting feeling

before i start i put more weight on my weak side leg almost leaning to the left

and as i engage the second plate my right (strong) foot hits the ground

and this is where i loose time

it seems like almost a hop step out of the box

my right leg gets out quick then one cross step with my left

then another step with my right which lands in the about a foot inside the box

setting up as my left foot gently sets in the box

i don't know if this is the right way or even if there is a right way

but it seems to be working for me

i have gotten the stage as low as 3.46 in practice but that was after shooting about a thousand rounds on it.

WOW!! 3.46 seconds!! you should be in the super squad! you must be real good.