Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying M 2000

Flexmoney

Flying M 2000:

2003 Steel Challenge

Best time = 13.26 (Jerry M.)

Top 16 avg. = 15.01

The PRO-EARS by RIDGELINE Flying M 2000 will have the competitor begin in Box A and engage the "A" targets, move forward to Box B and engage the "B" targets and Stop Plate in one continuous course of fire.

post-56-1075309019_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I shot this one A2, A1, B1, B2, stop.

I may have gone A2, A1, B2, B1, stop though.

The movement between boxes is likely enough to nix any advantage of staying on the same side I would think. Consistency in the sweeping (L-R or R-L) would be nice, but either way you have to come back the opposite direction for the stop plate.

Thoughs, ideas, comments?

Most of the time I shoot this A1, A2, move B1, B2, stop.

Rather then worry about not swing back and forth A2 to B1 after the move, worry about getting the third shot off as soon as you can after hitting the second box. Don't lower the gun to low ready when you move, instead keep the gun up and start swinging it to the next target while you move.

As soon as you have one foot in the B box, and the other is off the ground you can shoot. Easier said then done, for me anyway.

George

fyi...this stage will no longer be used as part of the match...mike and mike are working on a new stage design which i understand will not involve any movement...from what i know, the stop plate will remain the same but the other 4 plates will change...

shot the new arrangment yesterday.

4 plates at the back of the stage. all circles - 2 -10" & 2 -12" . 2 plates where the rectangles were and 2 outside of the rectangles a little further back. All shot from the back box. I'll take the camera next time and post a picture.

Mike said they are trying it out and are not sure if they will change it or not. Problem has been this stage really holds up the match because it takes so much longer to shoot. They want to speed it up by eliminating the movement.

Dang, I'd like to keep it, even though it ate my lunch last year. It's a mix of shooting and moving that's very hard to master.

Btw, while scoping the Shooting Gallery show of the SC, I noticed that both Todd and Robbie (and probably others) stayed on the same side and even shot the first plate from box B with only one foot down, then stepped around a bit further and shot the last two from an index somewhere in between them.

Last year, Flex taught me to pick up the lead foot on the draw. It works well. :)

I taught myself to fire on the leading foot into the box. That's cool too.

You can practice it by making a pvc box and just entering it with your gun on target from every direction imaginable. You can work on leaving the same way.

(I was "foot fault Anderson" for a couple of matches while I was figuring that out. He's related to "Creeper Anderson." They are both relatives of "cigar smokin' Steve" who is much more fun and usually a little "hipsy." :))

Steel is fun. Shooting rules.

SA

• 2 weeks later...

Target order is of little consequence on this stage. What is paramount, however, is the accuracy and confidence of your call on A2. (Shooting A1,A2,B1,B2) Speed and success depend on that. And therein lies the beautiful trap of that stage... Each run, mentally plan to shoot A2 IN THE CENTER.

be

Shred,

I'd never even thought that the movement rule to Steel Challenge could be different (than USPSA), but it appears to be.

I have the 2002 match book here. It says both feet must be down while shooting...when leaving the first box ("for easy of judging"). Going into the next box, you can start shooting with a foot in the box, and the other foot also in the box..or in the air.

Good catch. I wonder how tighly that is judged?

I have the 2002 match book here.  It says both feet must be down while shooting...when leaving the first box ("for easy of judging").  Going into the next box, you can start shooting with a foot in the box, and the other foot also in the box..or in the air.

Good catch.  I wonder how tighly that is judged?

I didn't try and push it at the SC, but everybody shoots it with the 'lean' so as to not foot-fault-- there's an assistant RO standing right there looking at your feet. If your local match uses different rules, try starting further back in the box and hitting both plates on the move as you get up to speed.

I've always hated that stage because of the way they choose to enforce the foot faults. And Mike Dalton is an intelligent fellow, but I just couldn't come to terms with why they would possibly choose to call the foot faults in box one completely differently THAN ANY OTHER ORGANIZATION HAS EVER DONE. It's just silly. As an RO, it's just as easy if not easier to watch for when a foot touches down in relation to when the shot fired, as it is to judge when it lifted in relation to when the shot fired.

The concern was that the stage would eventually be shot with some sort of special, silly looking lean technique. Which of course it would. But then, the greater the lean, the greater the risk.

be