Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most accurate hunting rifle (generally)

G-ManBart

Do a little research before you recommend the Blaser 93 to your friend. Here's a few quotes from the internet, some of them being from newspaper articles and court dockets:

Probably the most blown-up action made today. The numbers are scary. I no longer have any desire for one after seeing pictures of more than one blown-up. And that safety has to be the ugliest hunk of metal hung on a rifle of that price. Good luck!

They are notorious for coming apart. Lawsuits on the internet abound.

On August 16, 2003 in Norway a Blaser R93 has his bolt blown away through the face of Jan Sørlie, 41 years old, he lost an Eye and part of his skull. Now he has only one eye and a titanium plaque that replaces the portion absent of bone in his head.

Albrecht Huf, 38 years old, suffered the same this year in Germany, but he was a bit lucky.

I´ve taken notice that the following investigations are taking place:

1 Accident near Münster with a Blaser rifle model R93 caliber 6,5x68

1 Accident near Koblenz recently with a Blaser rifle R93 caliber .300 Weatherby

1 Accident in Africa with a Blaser rifle model R93 caliber .416 Rem Mag, that then was stolen

2 Accidents near Nantes, one with a Blaser R93 caliber .375 H&H and another with a .300 Winchester Magnum

1 Accident near Paris with a Blaser R93 caliber .375 H&H

1 Accident in Austria

Not for me, not a straight pull bolt aimed directly at my face, no thanks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few quotes from the internet,

Probably the most blown-up action made today. The numbers are scary. I no longer have any desire for one after seeing pictures of more than one blown-up. And that safety has to be the ugliest hunk of metal hung on a rifle of that price. Good luck!

Look at the underlined portions above. I am not even certain what lawsuits on the internet abound means and I have my J.D.

Needless to say, if your direct sources are "the internet", "scary numbers" none of which are actually verified, and whatever "lawsuits on the internet abound" is, all I can say is you should never represent yourself pro se.

The OP asked whats probably the most accurate, and I added my thoughts. Seems like you tend to disagree with everyone in this forum. Regardless.

Edited by cold

Here's a few quotes from the internet,

Look at the underlined portions above. I am not even certain what lawsuits on the internet abound means and I have my J.D.

Needless to say, if your direct sources are "the internet", "scary numbers" none of which are actually verified, and whatever "lawsuits on the internet abound" is, all I can say is you should never represent yourself pro se.

The OP asked whats probably the most accurate, and I added my thoughts. Seems like you tend to disagree with everyone in this forum. Regardless.

In case you didn't notice, that was a quote, not my words, so you might want to go ask the person that said it. I did a quick google search and did find evidence of a couple lawsuits, but I would not personally say they abound.

Seems like you tend to disagree with everyone in this forum. Regardless.

I didn't disagree with ANYTHING you said, so if you want to try and turn this into an attack, please do so in PM's. I never claimed the rifles were inaccurate, I simply provided data found on the internet and told the OP to do a little research before recommending said rifle to his friend. The design is in itself enough that I would not personally do so and I've read threads for years now on the possible risk and dangers. One of the threads commented on the fact that Sig Sauer supposedly stopped importing them some while back because of the same reasons, that information from a company rep. Take it for what it's worth, I'm just sayin' ;)

Yeah, that's what reading a lot of magazine articles would suggest. The M70 is famous and popular, just not the best action for a super accurate rifle. It would be the rare expert who would suggest the M70 action is the equal, much less better than, a M700 action for the basis of a precision rifle.

I don't read magazine articles.

I think you're dead wrong about the "rare expert." I'd typed up a long response explaining why but I'm not going to post it here.

FNPBR018.jpg?t=1275150549

My biases are obvious, however. I have nothing against Remington and I love their shotguns, especially my 1100 that I use for multigun, but unless the M700 were remarkably cheaper than a Winchester-style action, or there was some feature that I just had to have, the M70 is my choice for bolt guns due to a laundry list of objectively superior features.

G-man. in that price range, he is best off buying one of the high end factory made rifles in a 30 cal mag cartridge that fits him best and putting the rest of the money into the best optics he can find. I have lots of factory non-custom rifles that shoot 1/2", but the work was put into customizing the ammo to suit the rifle, and the money was put into good optics.

Really, if he wants an amazing shooting gun... Drop the $3k into reloading equipment and some materials for the 300 Weatherby. That cartridge is very accurate, and more than enough to do the job. Reloading for it cuts a lot of the ammo cost for weatherby ammo.

Edited by SA Friday

I know that GA Precision makes one heck of a world class tactical rifle. I dont hunt but wouldn't that type of rifle be too heavy to be lugging around outdoors all day? I'm just thinking it would not be very practical.

GA Precision's Non-Typical is listed at 6lbs 8oz with bases and rings...seems reasonable. Still, that was just one suggestion and there are lots others. Problem is some of the other really good ones like Ultra Light Arms are quite a bit more expensive. R,

G-man. in that price range, he is best off buying one of the high end factory made rifles in a 30 cal mag cartridge that fits him best and putting the rest of the money into the best optics he can find. I have lots of factory non-custom rifles that shoot 1/2", but the work was put into customizing the ammo to suit the rifle, and the money was put into good optics.

Really, if he wants an amazing shooting gun... Drop the $3k into reloading equipment and some materials for the 300 Weatherby. That cartridge is very accurate, and more than enough to do the job. Reloading for it cuts a lot of the ammo cost for weatherby ammo.

Stop trying to be logical man...the guy wants a new gun :lol:

Seriously, I think it's one part that he wants a new gun, one part that he wants something a little bit "special" and one part that he'd like to be able to buy ammo that's "good enough" just in case, while developing something better with handloads. Sort of the theory that if you get a super accurate rifle the search for the right load seems to be easier in that the really good ones shoot almost anything pretty well. His budget was just for the rifle, and optics would be separate. I can't say I blame him as his brother is thinking the same basic thing (their families went on vacation together)...new rifle, plan a hunt out west etc. Besides, we all need one more gun right? R,

Well...I'm no authority for sure. What's wrong with a Savage Model 11 in 300 WSM and nice glass? Not worthy? Cheesy or?

Looks like it will work just fine on any quarry in North America. I have read that the AccuStock is nothing to sneeze at accuracy wise.

I wonder.

Well...I'm no authority for sure. What's wrong with a Savage Model 11 in 300 WSM and nice glass? Not worthy? Cheesy or?

Looks like it will work just fine on any quarry in North America. I have read that the AccuStock is nothing to sneeze at accuracy wise.

I wonder.

My buddy did talk about Savage since his brother has one that he's quite happy with. R,

Just to get back to the original question (and I don't know jack about rifles), GA precision offers a non-typical hunting rifle for about $ 3000. I also found that both McMillan and ROBAR offer custom hunting rifles. I couldn't find the prices, but I understand that all 3 of these are very reputable companies and make a good product.

I cleaned this thread up...about a page and a half of posts. All the back and forth is gone...and any post that might have got caught in that wake.

Listen, I (and the rest of the Moderating Team) are tired of seeing the same few guys in these pissing matches. One of you is hanging by a thread from getting booted out of here, one of you is new'ish and overly proud of his opinion, and another I hold to a higher standard because he ought to know better.

You few have been dragging the forum into the muck. It will stop. One way or the other.

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator

Now, back to the opening topic. Post with a good spirit and leave the arguments at the door.

I would have one built with a borden action and a rock creek barrel with Mcmillan ultra light stock by Kampfeld Custom

Others to consider are Defensive Edge, Surgeon, HS precision and GA Precision.

It seems Kampfield is only doing certain work right now due to workload and that doesn't seem to include building complete guns....go figure, a good smith is swamped :(

Karl is a great guy (friend of mine, imagine that) and very respected smith. He hasn't been taking any new work for over a year now and his repeat customers keep him pretty busy. I can give you a list of other guys that also do excellent work at reasonable prices if you're interested.

I'm clearly not a world authority of long range hunting (far from it), but I suggested he take a look at GA Precision...
Actually, that's pretty good advice. I am no expert on long range hunting, but I do eat, drink, breath, and sleep what some would consider "long range" shooting. I think (know) there are a lot of opinions (good and bad), and many misconceptions about the concept of "long range" hunting. Let's just say long range hunting is similar to long range "tactical" or field shooting, but the target has hair instead of being made of steel. FWIW, the characteristics of the rifles for both endeavors are very similar. As another person posted, it is pretty easy in this day and age to put a really good rifle together with quality parts for under $2500.00. Just remember, the terminal performance of the bullet must be acceptable while still offering the required ballistics to make the shot. Great accuracy, high BC, good sectional density, needed velocity, and proper bullet construction all come into play. As far as choosing the right rifle smith, in this day and age, any number of companies or individuals can make a perfectly serviceable rifle. Making sub-moa rifles is not any real trick.

actually making a "true" submoa rifle is a trick. sub 5" grp at 500yds or sub 6" at 600" is a very good rifle, if it were easy they'd be everywhere and GB man wouldn't have to be asking the question.

comparing LR tactical matches to LR hunting is not an accurate comparison, because steel or paper isn't going to be moving at all, The rifles may be somewhat similar, except that most hunting rifles are wanted as light as possible, and LR Tac rifles generally are quite heavy. Also most LR Tac rifles are using small bullets and small cartridges to make the shot because external ballistics are all that they are concerned with, when it comes to humanely ending the life of an animal terminal ballistics must be considered heavily, and most good hunting bullets do not deliver near the accuracy of a match bullet. Too much fanfare has been placed on TV programs and writers articles on terrific shot claims or match performances and has caused "hunters" to want more of a challenge, if thats the case you should go the other way, and avoid technology, try stalking and getting close or making that shot with iron sights. My opinion on LR hunting is that the term hunting should not be used to describe it, Also having a rifle capable of such a shot does not mean you are, even if you are, the conditions can prevent a humane ending.

I have rifles that can and will deliver more than adequate accuracy and terminal performance out to the magical 600yds, on game as large as moose, or as small as antelope, but I much prefer hunting the animal to merely shooting it, so my favorite is a 1x optic levergun.

GBman if your friend wants a good rifle, his first pick should be what animals does he want to hunt, what is the largest animal he predicts, what is the longest realistic distance he predicts, does he want adequate performance or more than adequate performance, then decide the range of calibers, then decide the action type, then he can make a more realsitic decision on the guns weight by knowing what size hole is going to be in the barrel and what the recommended minimum barrel profile should be, my personal favorite LR hunting rifle is a .338 win mag, its much more than needed for many species but more than adequate for the largest I plan on hunting, however it rarely gets used because it is so specialized and its not light, it is relatively light compared to my LR tac rifles but it still weighs 10# ready to go, but like your friend I'm not afraid, to carry a bit more weight and when it comes time to pull the trigger that extra weight does help steady the rifle. Another reason it rarely get used is because I have so many to choose from and in order to actually get use out it I have to pretty much decide that I am going take a long shot, it simply is not a general purpose rifle and so many of my others do what it can do and also fit 99% of the other shots you will be making.

Didn't Hart used to have a Rem 700 custom tune package where you sent him a new Rem 700 and he tuned it to shoot 1/2" MOA? That might be an option. Can't really screw up getting a GA though...

Didn't Hart used to have a Rem 700 custom tune package where you sent him a new Rem 700 and he tuned it to shoot 1/2" MOA? That might be an option. Can't really screw up getting a GA though...

I didn't see that option on Hart's site. They do list a customized factory rifle built on a M700 action and barrel for around $1800, as well as their full line of custom guns that they say start around $2400...might be worth a call to them to see what they normally expect accuracy wise. R,

One well known smith use to offer a rebarrel package that was quite reasonable. You send him your Rem700 rifle and he sends you back a custom built tack driver guaranteed to shoot .5MOA at 1000 yards. Now most shooters aren't capable of that degree of accuracy, but he is. He trues the action, beds the stock, tunes the trigger, and installs a Broughton bbl that he has chambered and threaded. All that for $980.00. He's about like Karl though, plenty busy and is picky about the new work he takes on. He built the most accurate rifle I've owned, so he knows how to do it.

Gee Interesting... <_<

Well, I'll put in a vote for the Blaser R93/R8 rifles.

No other rifle out there can do what that rifle does. Superbly accurate, packs down in a small case, doesn't lose zero and very safe. There is not another rifle out there that can do it. Certainly, for the traveling hunter there's nothing better.

Edited by THellURider

For small compact rifles for a traveling hunter that carry a .5MOA guarantee, quick caliber conversions, repeatable zero, a carry friendly weight, trigger user adjustable from 1-6lbs and shorter than most weapons systems, check out the Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout Hunter.

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/firearms

With a 26" bbl it's only 37.5" long and weighs in at just 11.25 lbs.

If size is an issue, the company advertises their Covert rifle as the shortest sniper weapons platform in production.

actually making a "true" submoa rifle is a trick. sub 5" grp at 500yds or sub 6" at 600" is a very good rifle, if it were easy they'd be everywhere and GB man wouldn't have to be asking the question.
Actually, those rifles are found in abundance in the circles I travel. I figured it would only be a matter of time before the debate would start. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. Of course, as soon as opinions on ethics come into play, civil discussions go into the toilet. Frankly, I think there are plenty of rifle related forums on the Web so I'll bow out of this thread. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the thread locked.

Well here we go...A "real accurate" hunting rifle need be no better than putting a bullet no more than 3" from the cross hairs at any distance you want. Hunting rifles shoot one shot groups. after that it is either all done or the situation is now "dynamic" and no amount of sub moa will help. If I were to chase Moose all the time I would probably go with a 338, if it was just Elk and Black Bear a 308 or 06 will do just fine. As long as the rifle will put the first shot fairly near the cross hairs the rest is up to the carrier. KurtM