Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Logitech Mouse Crapped Out

benos

My favorite, no longer in production of course, Logitech mouse crapped out today forcing me to use the stock Mac unit, which doesn't have all the cool, programmable buttons the Logitech does. (OS 9.2.2) The mouse doesn't show up in the Mouseware Control Panel, and a restart didn't help. Put in new batteries, no help, so I'm thinking either the remote or the mouse itself crapped out. Tomorrow will probably reinstall the software, but just in case she's still dead - what's your favorite mouse? (Personally, I can't live without the paging scroll wheel, right click which is really set up to close windows, the scroll wheel clicks to quit apps, and the thumb button simulates the enter key.) And just so you know, I am a keyboard stroke man, (kinda sounds like a song in the making), but when I grab that mouse I want to be able to do just everything with it.

;)

Model A9M0331. Mac SE era ADB bus, angular, pre-ergronomic shape, with a dense, heavy rubber ball. One button.

EricW, I have a 2-button ADB Kensington TurboMouse. That's what they call it but it's a trackball. It rocks for MAME Missile Command, Centipede, and Millipede.

That's close George, but not quite it. Actually, I tried one of those before I found the one I'm using (cordless, non-optical - resurrected today) at a closeout store. I don't think they still sell the model/shape, (don't think it caught on, which is probably why it's not even pictured on their site) which is sad because it's ergonomically correct. It's has a fairly steep slope to the right, so you don't have to twist your wrist at all (to the left) to comfortably let your hand lay on the thing.

be

• 1 month later...

I am using the "Ioptinet USB Optical Internet Mouse for Mac" from Macally. I like it a lot. Clickable scroll wheel, two buttons, fully programmable. No thumb button, though. And quite inexpensive.

-Chet

Been using a 'Wirless IntelliMouse Explorer' for a year or so. It was rated 'Kick Ass' by Maximum PC forever. Zero complaints.

I had a logitec wireless one with the ball before but the ball would get dirty easy and then it just stopped working. Opticals seem to use less batteries also.

Guest Larry Cazes

I also prefer the Kensington 4 button trackball to a mouse. I am using one right now. Bought this one for my wife when she got carpal tunnel in both wrists! Much easier on your wrist than a mouse.