Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice need for the nationals

Looks like I am going to the nationals and need some advice.

I will be flying; What is the best way to get my gun and ammo there?

When to arrive?

How many days do you shoot?

What is the best transportation option to the range? i.e Rental Car

Any other things I should know.

Should you take your wife with you to Vegas?

1. You can fly with your gun, just follow the TSA and specific airline rules. Your ammo will be too heavy, most airlines only allow 11 pounds of ammo. It has to be shipped. Last year at Nats the ammo was shipped to a friendly gun shop in town. Be aware if you're thinking about shipping to the hotel, many hotels charge a fee for this.

2. I like to get to a major match either the day before registration opens, or very early the day of registration. Don't forget you want to go out to the range and check out the stages and get the lay of the land.

3. If you're talking the Revo side, shooting is Thurs-Sat. I copied this from the Nationals page http://www.uspsa-nationals.org/:

Limited/Production/Revolver Schedule:

(Check back for more complete information)

Wednesday -- Oct. 13 from 3-6pm -- Registration at match hotel - The Orleans

Thursday -- Oct. 14 Thru Saturday, Oct. 16 -- Competition

Saturday -- Oct. 16 -- Awards

4. The range is about 15 minutes from the match hotel. You need a car, or carpool with someone.

5. I took my wife last year. She spent the week getting tan by the pool. Since the match is only a half day format, you'll have time to do other things. It's Vegas, there's no shortage of things to amuse adults.

It will be published on the Nationals section of uspsa.com when it is settled, you should have plenty of time.

Also, you'll be hauling a lot of gear, go Southwest if you can. I took exactly 98 lbs of gear and clothes and etc. last year.

H.