Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Dryfired 20-25 minutes.

Did it methodical without the timer. Worked on reloads and snapping eyes between targets. Did some WH and SH after the reloads. Did some draws to WH. Did most of my starts Surrender.

Did 2R2 with eyes closed, starting on the target. This was interesting. Nailed all of them too. I would call the speed I did these, lazy. I thought it was neat to do.

Finished with some table pick ups. I wasn't going to do anything and then I read Tackdr1ver's diary and it motivated me. So there you go.

Edited to add: loaded 300 rounds

Edited by Chris iliff

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

Lots of great stuff here, i'll be reading for a while! I can see you have the drive and determination to go wherever you want to go in shooting! Keep up the good work!

And FYI: I am really jealous of you having a range in your back yard! The shortest drive for me to shoot/practice is an hour away!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=71Q3q7xm3DU#/watch?v=71Q3q7xm3DU

Video of Warsaw. Classic line of the day by Repete Briggs,

"I'll zoom in on it. "

Classifier was horrendous! I actually thought I broke the gun somehow. Didn't realize I was trigger freezing until that string was over. Still managed to freeze it up again on the second string. OUCH!!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Ok I practiced tonight. 200+ rounds.

I set out for 250 rounds and 3 different drills.

I started with the near to far drill I've been running. I managed to get a new PB of 3.01 starting near.

Next I did my movement drill.

Next I didn't do the Bill drills.

Nothing felt right. I took last night off thinking I didn't want to overdue it, maybe I should have taken tonight off also. I ended shooting the plate rack disgusted. I don't know what to take from this other than I did get a PB out of it. Not sure how, but I did.

Ft. Wayne on Sunday.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=71Q3q7xm3DU

Video of Warsaw. Classic line of the day by Repete Briggs,

"I'll zoom in on it. "

Classifier was horrendous! I actually thought I broke the gun somehow. Didn't realize I was trigger freezing until that string was over. Still managed to freeze it up again on the second string. OUCH!!!!

Man hang in there!

Everyone has those days, next match will be a new day. Your mag changes were nice and fast!

Ok I practiced tonight. 200+ rounds.

I set out for 250 rounds and 3 different drills.

I started with the near to far drill I've been running. I managed to get a new PB of 3.01 starting near.

Next I did my movement drill.

Next I didn't do the Bill drills.

Nothing felt right. I took last night off thinking I didn't want to overdue it, maybe I should have taken tonight off also. I ended shooting the plate rack disgusted. I don't know what to take from this other than I did get a PB out of it. Not sure how, but I did.

Ft. Wayne on Sunday.

Maybe it's time to chill for a few days? The last thing you want to do is force it, shoot for the sake of shooting and reinforce bad juju. Take a few days man, it's not a crime.

I'm with you. Good advice. Take some time off is good advice.

I did shoot Ft. Wayne today.

The weather was nice. Very warm like it was August or something.

Stages were great. Nothing of importance to report. Went to the match thinking about mindset and what it takes for me to perform to my best.

Got squaded with my Dad and a great bunch of guys. Had a good match. Really rocked stage 5 and that's the mind and attitude I'm going to simulate next weekend at Ohio State. Overall not sure were I placed, I will

Post standings when I know.

Good day of shooting with Dad!

Edited to add results: HOA by 18%!! 1 second place stage, the rest were 1st places. Classifier was a stage win but only 77%. These continue to be weak stages for me. I need to work on stand and shoots. I'm giving up match points on these types of stages, whether it's a classifier or not.

Edited by Chris iliff

With the run I had, I thought I'd get you on the classifier! You squeaked by me there. That and 4 we were close on. I had too many Mikes/NS on the other 3 to come close to you.

With the run I had, I thought I'd get you on the classifier! You squeaked by me there. That and 4 we were close on. I had too many Mikes/NS on the other 3 to come close to you.

Eh? I thought you were a "Single Stack Elitist" ??? :rolleyes:

Eh? I thought you were a "Single Stack Elitist" ??? :rolleyes:

Im shooting Limited for awhile with a couple Sectional matches coming up. Got this fancy thing from Cheely, might as well use it ;-)

Good range session tonight.

Friend from work came over and we shot about 200 rounds.

Worked on close range target acquisition and trigger pull.

Also some plate rack work using a standard barricade. Plate rack right side, reload, two papers on left side, one a partial.

I had a good practice. It's nice shooting with someone for a change. I always arrange practice so it is focused and not just hosing. My friend has shot a few Uspsa matches before and seems to appreciate the drills I come up with. He says he is going to come out every Tuesday. I hope he does. Nice shooting with someone.

I tried to shoot relaxed tonight during the drills. I also concentrated on my grip. It has come a long way in the last year. I'm very pleased with all I have been doing and feel like I'm on the cusp of some break throughs.

I don't know if I'll shoot again this week. I think I need to let it go until Sunday at Ohio State. Allow my thinking brain to stop thinking and maybe that will help me move towards subconscious thinking during the match. Some people like to shoot right up to big match day. For me I am thinking I'd be better off not. Maybe?

Edited by Chris iliff

Spent most of the day walking the range at the Ohio State match. Stages look really nice. It was HOT!!! Tomorrow they say hotter!! Gonna be a fun match.

Talked to some forum members, that's always cool, and made some new friends.

Excited for tomorrow!!

3rd A in Open, 14th overall in Open. 71% of the match winner, KC Eusubio.

I shot conservatively, it paid off!! I was 2nd place on stage 8, the classifier, Can You Count. This is very redeeming, see video of me trashing it a few weeks ago during Keen's visit. Couple posts up.

Some high points.

1. I managed a second place on one stage. (classifier) first classifier ever over 82%.

2. I ran my plans good, but for stage 7.

3. I shot 90% or better of available points.

4. I stayed hydrated and kept my energy up! Water every stage, handful of trail mix every couple stages, light lunch, Gatoraide and 2 banannas.

5. Eventhough I'm shooting for my best performance, I was learning things and actually incorporated them into the match as it progressed.

6. I made my goal of doing better than last year.

Overall I am very pleased. The Ohio State is in the books!

Edited: duplicate post.

But, I would like to thank Mr. Keen for his mentoring. His advice and guidance was great during the weekend he was at my home. I feel the Ohio State match and my better performance proves that easily! Thanks Chris!!

Edited by Chris iliff

3rd A in Open, 14th overall in Open. 71% of the match winner, KC Eusubio.

I shot conservatively, it paid off!! I was 2nd place on stage 8, the classifier, Can You Count. This is very redeeming, see video of me trashing it a few weeks ago during Keen's visit. Couple posts up.

Some high points.

1. I managed a second place on one stage. (classifier) first classifier ever over 82%.

2. I ran my plans good, but for stage 7.

3. I shot 90% or better of available points.

4. I stayed hydrated and kept my energy up! Water every stage, handful of trail mix every couple stages, light lunch, Gatoraide and 2 banannas.

5. Eventhough I'm shooting for my best performance, I was learning things and actually incorporated them into the match as it progressed.

6. I made my goal of doing better than last year.

Overall I am very pleased. The Ohio State is in the books!

Congrats on your finish! And I totally love your attitude about your high points. A lot of times I personally lose perspective of any gains that I have made because I didn't finish in the rankings where I wanted to. I forget all the progress and the good things. I love that you are pointing out good stuff other than your finish (which was also awesome!) because it really should be all about improvement! You rock!

Thanks Monica!! You are EXACTLY right!! If we focus on the positives we do ourselves immense justice. I am a thinker, not smart, just my brain keeps rolling and I try to fill it with positives. It helps me.

You really did good yourself!! For no longer than you have used an Open blaster, you should be proud. Let's commit to "not making it any harder than it has to be" and we will both keep improving!!!!

Thanks Monica!! You are EXACTLY right!! If we focus on the positives we do ourselves immense justice. I am a thinker, not smart, just my brain keeps rolling and I try to fill it with positives. It helps me.

You really did good yourself!! For no longer than you have used an Open blaster, you should be proud. Let's commit to "not making it any harder than it has to be" and we will both keep improving!!!!

I need you to remind me of this ALL week. After seeing my scores I was a little disappointed I played it so safe. I KNOW I could have gone faster. I had an overwhelming urge to push the whole day and really had to fight it down on each and every stage. Bill and Ron were the only reason I stayed in check I think. Before every stage they were like "Take it easy- just get your alphas." I am headed to West Pa next weekend and I am having a hard time not thinking "Well... if I push a little than maybe I can do a little better." I KNOW that I need to keep a cool head and just shoot consistently. Easier said than done!

After Ohio State and my fun weekend of shooting I took 3 days off. Didn't touch the gun.

Back at it tonight with some light dryfire practice. Felt awkward first couple of reps then it settled in and felt great. I didn't do a lot. Draws, reloads and some WH/SH stuff. Also some EYE snapping and then some Bill drills.

Gonna shoot Saturday at Wildcat and have a fun day!!

Shot Wildcat today. Nice match. They are elaborate with walls but stingy on targets. I think this has to do with not having experienced shooters design the stages. I'm just glad they are putting on matches. Club is less than an hour from me.

Nothing major to report about the match. Got to shoot with my Dad and my nephew. It was a great day of fun.

Pretty sure I won the match, but scores are not posted yet. Met a shooter named Chad. I have shot with him before but now we are friends. I plan on doing a match with him in Seymour Indiana soon. That is the home club of Indiana's only GM, Max Bedwell.

I'll post scores when I get them.