Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Im not sure if i like the idea of practicing classifiers or not. On one hand its good to practice them as they do give you some different shooting scenarios (N/S, weak hand, reloads, etc etc). but on the other hand, I dont know if practicing just the classifiers will help overall match performance. for me i think im losing more time on reloads while moving, moving itself (when i get back into shape this "off-season" that should help) and target transitions. i dont want to get a classification i cant back up in a regular match scenario. but on the 3rd hand, cant argue with the way Ben shoots..he has to know something i dont. :mellow:

Got a link for that 100 project thingy?

BenStoeger.com is his page. Lots of stuff!

Edited to say: I get the "don't practice the classifier" approach. Kinda been my attitude also. But, I've been thinking that at each stop (shooting position) of a stage, you are basically shooting a classifier. I feel a little more work on my movement is in order, yes, but the skills required in any classifier are gonna make you better. I just don't want to be over classed. That would suck.

Also, at this point, I'm positive I can make GM in the future. There was a time that I didn't even know if I could make "B". Now that I know more, I feel I can see what it takes to make the final two steps(on paper). I definitely don't want that happening until my whole game is at that level.

Edited by fourtrax

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that the combined scores were posted for the Michigan State match. I ended up at 15 overall out of 141 shooters. I feel that I possibly could have done better. Couple foo foo's on 2 different stages and a horrible classifier stage. I learned a lot from my squad and I'll take those lessons forward. All in all,... Good stuff and a great match!

I am in San Antonio, TX visiting my oldest daughter. We are headed to Biloxi, Mississippi to get the youngest daughter (both in Air Force). Then it's off to New Orleans and Bourbon St , where we will meet my son (Army, deploying to Afghanistan). Going to be fun!

Not any shooting tho, bummer!

Been home for over a week and no shooting. I caught some sort of stomach virus and that sucked. Two days blowing chunks and bed ridden.

Went to the doctor, knowing there was nothing he could do. Ended up getting the growing bump on my left middle finger Xrayed. Viola,... Shrapnel from a riccochet that hit me clear back in April at area 6. That will come out on the 18 of this month.

Also got my left knee Xrayed. It popped at a match about a year ago and has been in question ever since. Hopefully, I'll get the knee fixed this winter also. And again, hopefully, I can get back to moving without the thought of my knee going out at every stop/change of direction. This has been a battle all season.

I'm giving a winter dryfire routine some thought, but haven't nailed down exactly what yet.

youngest daughter (both in Air Force). ... my son (Army, deploying to Afghanistan).

:cheers: Congrats on what sounds like a fine family. Best wishes for your son!

I caught some sort of stomach virus and that sucked. Two days blowing chunks and bed ridden.

growing bump on my left middle finger Xrayed. Viola,... Shrapnel from a riccochet that hit me clear back in April at area 6. That will come out on the 18 of this month.

Also got my left knee Xrayed. It popped at a match about a year ago and has been in question ever since. Hopefully, I'll get the knee fixed this winter also.

dang dude. sounds like a rough week. hopefully they get you back together before next season gets going ...

-rvb

I'm giving a winter dryfire routine some thought, but haven't nailed down exactly what yet.

there is ben stoeger's 15 min plan as well as Steve Anderson's books. I have his first one and was using it pretty religously earlier this year (when I was making my biggest gains, coincidence, I think not). Im planning on using it again this winter on a more thurough basis as well as my airsoft setup for some semi-trigger time.

there is ben stoeger's 15 min plan as well as Steve Anderson's books. I have his first one and was using it pretty religously earlier this year (when I was making my biggest gains, coincidence, I think not). Im planning on using it again this winter on a more thurough basis as well as my airsoft setup for some semi-trigger time.

Everyone's different, but give some consideration to an "off season." Going for it all year round is a sure way to burn out. I usually take this time of year off and pick it back up in the Jan/Feb time frame to be ready for matches in march/april. Then when I get back to it, I really WANT to get back to it... Use this time to do something different (I've been dryfiring w/ the AR, working on weird positions and barricades, etc when I have time)... just a thought.

-rvb

-rvb

Everyone's different, but give some consideration to an "off season." Going for it all year round is a sure way to burn out. I usually take this time of year off and pick it back up in the Jan/Feb time frame to be ready for matches in march/april. Then when I get back to it, I really WANT to get back to it... Use this time to do something different (I've been dryfiring w/ the AR, working on weird positions and barricades, etc when I have time)... just a thought.

This is exactly the way I'm leaning. I hate to cut my El Pres quest off, but I think it might be best. Flyin40 kinda preaches this also. Just let it go for awhile.

Corey, I have both of Steve's books and you are right, I went from 58% to 73% during the time I dryfired and did the drills over 3 or 4 months or so. As discussed before, I don't want that GM to be entirely paper when I get it. Too much movement stuff for me to work on yet. I love this sport, I wish I owned a range, that would be my dream job!!!!!!

Edited by fourtrax

• 1 month later...

I got a double alpha race master holster for CHRISTmas. I've already done a little dryfire and so far so good. .22 racegun fits it perfect also. I will be hitting the dryfire regimen in January. This year I'm sticking to taking some time off, let the subconscious do it's thing! I hope that works!

Merry CHRISTmas to all!!!!!!

Ok, I did a little more dryfire tonight with the new DAA Racemaster. I worked on my draw and grip. The new holster feels just a little different than the WSM CR. I expected this and will have to get use to it. The gun literally pops out and that feels good.

I don't have a regimen layed out yet for my dryfire. All I did was some draws, relaxed and surrender, and some turn and draws. I also did some reloads. Some reloads static and some within one step.

When the lever on the holster is up the gun goes nowhere. I'll treat the lever just like the one on the CR, but I'll definitely be more at ease walking around. No way that gun is coming out with the locking lever engaged.

First match of the year is up at Bend in Michigan at the end of this month. My plan for now is to have the holster grooved in and be comfortable with it as the match approaches.

Did a little more with the new holster tonight. Worked on drawing with the lever locked. Pretty simple and I don't think it slowed me down measurably. Most stages wouldn't need this, but some starts might be safer this way.

I'm liking the DAA Racemaster so far. Rock solid platform and product.

I can feel the rust coming off. Tomorrow I'm going to an indoor range to help a friend out with her grip and so on. I'll take my .22 racegun. Get a little live fire action!!

Ok you smucks, I'll shoot it as long as I'm on Keens squad.

If I'm gonna do it I might as well learn something. Now give me some time to get some printer ink and get my app mailed.

Done.

PM me your info and I will fill out entry form for ya and you just mail me entry fee.

Now get RePete, Joe, John and Brent to come along

Ok I'll work on the guys. Already started working on Phil Cohee, but no promises. You do know this could very well be a snow match! Might be a hard sell for some. Some may want to wait till the weather sorts out and walk on if it's nice. I'll do my best getting guys lined up tho!

Went to the indoor range to help my friend. Decided while pulling up to the range to make it about her so I left my guns in the car. I got lucky, she could shoot fairly well. She actually has things down fairly well. We went over grip and stance and trigger pull. She did good. Recognized a goo shooter while entering and about halfway through got some good advice for her from him. So she got some really practical instruction for free. Next step....get her to a competition. That I think will be easy.

• 2 weeks later...

It's official!! If you don't unlock your DAA Racemaster holster you self wedgie!! No way around it!! Lol.

I shot my first match of the year at BORCC today. Good to see friends I haven't seen since September!! Match was great, stages and people great!! My shooting, well I liked my movement, especially stage 1. I felt really good and got some positive feedback. RO says man that time is really good. You didn't look real fast, but time was great. I take that to be that I am smoothing out the jerkyness. I know when I started shooting it felt like I never stopped the whole stage.